Got $99? Get MS1.
Jun 1, 2004 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
I know this is going to be one of those irritating gushing, love-these-phones threads, but I just wanted to say $99 (shipped!) gets you an awful lot of quality (okay, not build quality) with the Alessandro MS1s. I was just sitting next to a lake at lunch with my iPod & MS1s (burnt in and hole punched in the stock comfies), listening to Mstislav Rostropovichs take on Bachs Cello Suites** (‘course Grados ‘aren’t for Classical’, so forgive that accident) and the sound is so intimate and lush. There are those that argue that money shouldn’t play a part in equipment critiques (where are you hiding that R10?), but here I will say it’s hard for me to imagine anything else coming close to these cans for <$100. I know there are Eggos and V6 fans, but as a previous owner of both, these are the real deal. I know there are better phones (love the Etys, can’t wait for the CD3Ks to arrive, etc.), but these are so far over the hump of equipment getting in the way of musical enjoyment, I wonder if wisdom took over I’d stop here. Course in my case wisdom rarely takes over, so forget about that. However if you’re in the market and on a budget, yeah I know it’s been said before… seriously consider the MS1s.

**Thanks for the introduction shafu.

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Well, Grados aren't for classical in terms of orchestral, symphonic music due to a small soundstage. The Bach Cello Suites collection is however a nice piece of chamber music, the only instrument there is Rostropovich's violoncello. Hence the Grado/Alessandro's sense for details brings the best of it. It sounds clear and detailed with characteristic "full punch" in the lower midrange/upper bass.

It seems that the Master & Commander movie made this small classical piece popular.

BTW, Blessingx, when comparing MS-2's to SR-80's, the bass of SR-80's is bloated, how would you describe it on MS-1's vs. SR-80's?

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 24
I've actually been getting into classical the last few weeks with my ms1s. I've had a nice 10 CD box of classical symphonies lying around here for ages but never could get into it. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to listen to something else intirely and put one one of the CD's and with the ms1s I got into it for the first time in my life. Granted I miss soundstage but with the px100s that I listened to these CD's before I was missing the music.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
BTW, Blessingx, when comparing MS-2's to SR-80's, the bass of SR-80's is bloated, how would you describe it on MS-1's vs. SR-80's?

Way too much time has gone by since I owned the SR80 (or SR225) to really say. I believe it is in between (which would make sense), but closer to which end I'm not sure. Triangulating off the CD780 (which is the constant), I think maybe closer to the SR225 overall. But I'm not sure of that.

As for bass, it does seem to be more under control than the SR80, but my usual reference has changed. The Etys 'sound' is my base, and previously it was the SR80, then SR225. Especially at the low end, there are too many variables now as the ER4P/S bass is so different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveemac
Are they sufficiently better than my SR60s to merit getting a pair??

Difficult to say. Even the SR80 to SR225 jump wasn't super dramatic. Still Grado sound, just smoothed out the problems (especially highs) IMO. If you're going to buy either, I'd say MS1 for growth (including amp use). If you already own the SR60 that's a little harder call.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 24
What Grado is the MS1 equivalent to?

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
What Grado is the MS1 equivalent to?

between the SR-80 and SR-125s, prolly lil more closer to the 125s i think,

" Vented diaphragm
- Non resonant air chamber
- UHPLC voice coil wire
- Standard copper connecting cord"

i got my MS1s, and lov em, but now i want more : o .....
rs1smile.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by swee
between the SR-80 and SR-125s, prolly lil more closer to the 125s i think,

This is commonly said around here, and I've never done a side by side sound comparison, but the specs actually share nearly everything with the SR125, and nothing specific with the SR80 (besides price) does it?

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 24
I`ve e-mailed the alessandro/grado website and they personally say that the MS1 compare to the SR 125.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I was just sitting next to a lake at lunch with my iPod & MS1s (burnt in and hole punched in the stock comfies), listening to Mstislav Rostropovichs take on Bachs Cello Suites**

I love those suites!
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
I have Yo Yo Ma's, are Mstislav Rostropovichs much better?

I went crazy a few months ago and bought 8 or so different versions of Bach's cello suites. They all seem to have something to offer and strong points in them. Some I like for their fluidity, others for their structure. I have Yo-Yo Ma's "Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites" and enjoy it greatly although I have been told that his "Bach: The Cello Suites Inspired By Bach, From The Six-Part Film Series" is better but that one I don't have -> D'Oh! "Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites" features some wonderful playing by Yo-Yo, the technique really stood out to me and lifted it far above the pack but my personal favorite so far has been Mischa Maisky's version which is far more romantic and passionate instead of sticking to exactly what Bach wrote. There was a thread on here a while back about these.

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 24
I am looking at the Alessandro MS1 for my first good pair of full size headphones (my Shure e2c earbuds are on the way). I have been reading that the Grado/Alessandro cans NEED the flat pads to be the best they can be.

BlessingX: Does the hole cut in the "comfy" pads compare to the flats or is it worth the $35 to just get the flats?

The Alessandro MS1 seem like the right cans for me but that has been bothering me. Thanx in advance

-Stromie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back