Goodbye to Bachelorhood, Hello New Headphones - advice welcome...
May 21, 2005 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lippy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I celebrated my waning bachelorhood last night with 25 of my buddies an family members, and that included a handsome contribution to my headphone fund.

My headphone set-up presently consists of:
Alessandro MS-2 (classics) with Flats
Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply Unit
NAD C 521i CD Player

I'm looking for a headphone or headphone-with-after-market-recable that will nicely supplement my setup and give me headphone sound I've not yet enjoyed and will love for years to come - it could even result in my parting with my MS-2.

So, with about $500 to spend, what does the Headfi gang recommend for my setup? I listen mostly to Classic Rock, Alternative, Folk, some Jazz.

The two frontrunners presently are:
RS-1 (used)
HD-650 with Zu Mobius

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

May 21, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lippy
I celebrated my waning bachelorhood last night with 25 of my buddies an family members, and that included a handsome contribution to my headphone fund. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Go back. It's a trap.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Enjoy the process. It may be the last independent financial decision you make.

May 21, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Don't listen to those guys. Marriage is not that bad!

Quote:

I'm looking for a headphone or headphone-with-after-market-recable that will nicely supplement my setup and give me headphone sound I've not yet enjoyed and will love for years to come - it could even result in my parting with my MS-2.

Since you already have an MS-2, why not try the other end of the spectrum and get an HD650 with the Zu Mobius? The HD650 sure sounds different from an MS-2, and complements the Grado sound nicely.

Seriously, get the motorcycle, guns, expensive audio gear, or whatever useless toys you long for NOW.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Since you already have an MS-2, why not try the other end of the spectrum and get an HD650 with the Zu Mobius? The HD650 sure sounds different from an MS-2, and complements the Grado sound nicely.

I agree wholeheartedly
waytogo.gif
That's a great combination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Seriously, get the motorcycle, guns, expensive audio gear, or whatever useless toys you long for NOW.
icon10.gif

The other option is as follows. Get 3 bank accounts, yours, your spouse's, and a joint account. Both of you put in a set amount of money from every paycheck to the joint account to cover all of your household expenses. What's left in your account is yours, ditto for your wife's. That's how we have it set up, and I buy whatever toys I want with MY money. Total number of arguments about finances in 10 years of marriage: ZERO. Obviously, this only applies if both of you work. Best of luck, and enjoy wedded bliss.

May 21, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
I agree wholeheartedly
waytogo.gif
That's a great combination.

The other option is as follows. Get 3 bank accounts, yours, your spouse's, and a joint account. Both of you put in a set amount of money from every paycheck to the joint account to cover all of your household expenses. What's left in your account is yours, ditto for your wife's. That's how we have it set up, and I buy whatever toys I want with MY money. Total number of arguments about finances in 10 years of marriage: ZERO. Obviously, this only applies if both of you work. Best of luck, and enjoy wedded bliss.

That is by far one of the best scenarios I've heard.

May 21, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 10
The other option is as follows. Get 3 bank accounts, yours, your spouse's, and a joint account. Both of you put in a set amount of money from every paycheck to the joint account to cover all of your household expenses. What's left in your account is yours, ditto for your wife's. That's how we have it set up, and I buy whatever toys I want with MY money. Total number of arguments about finances in 10 years of marriage: ZERO. Obviously, this only applies if both of you work. Best of luck, and enjoy wedded bliss.[/QUOTE]

I second that emotion. Same set up I have. Works great.

May 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 10
I would also recommend the 650 (I don’t think the Zu cable is necessary). The senns have very different sound than the grados. So it would be a good compliment. I am a long time 650 user and I have recently gotten a pair of MS-2is. I like the senns much better than the MS-2is for slower music (Tori Amos, Eric Clapton) and the grados for faster heaver music (Megadeth, Metallica). On a whole, for me the senns out perform the MS-2i hands down.

If you end up getting the senns give yourself some time to get used to them. At first they will sound very dark in A/B comparison to the MS-2. But I strongly believe they will grow on you after awhile (with the right music).

In the end I think it really comes down to what time of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back