Goodbye Sony, Hello Philips
Sep 14, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by joecrouton
I just happened upon these tonight at target. I had never heard of them before, and they looked decent and the specs were good, so I bought them. Lo and behold, they were on sale for $19.99. so far i would say that they are quite good, much better than the stock iRiver ones I am replacing. they fit well, stay in well, sound good, and have good volume. the neckband is somewhat different, but i will see how this turns out as i use them more.

Hey joe congrats on your buy.They're very good @19.99$ i can find here 50$ difference is big you got those very cheap.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #62 of 73
Rats. Just got my MDR-EX81 two months ago. Does it REALLY sound so bad compared to the HN060? I might actually return this unit as it has a fault already (the wires kinda got torn off from the ear strap thingy) and the internal wires are showing. I would probably return this and get a refund to buy the HN060 if it is truly superior to EX81.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #64 of 73
You're bumping a thread which started in May 2005! Not sure you'll get an instant response from the thread starter
eek.gif

Steve

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #65 of 73
Jan 23, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
Rats. Just got my MDR-EX81 two months ago. Does it REALLY sound so bad compared to the HN060? I might actually return this unit as it has a fault already (the wires kinda got torn off from the ear strap thingy) and the internal wires are showing. I would probably return this and get a refund to buy the HN060 if it is truly superior to EX81.

Hmm.. I've moved on a fair way since the HN060... mine died within a month of having them, and I've since moved on to IEMs...

...They don't sound too bad (much warmer / smoother than the Sonys) so long as the fit is good, and their flanged tips are not the most flexible, so fit is VERY dependent...

...I can't really recommend them, not without you auditioning first - all due to the fit.

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #67 of 73
LFC SL...

The Philips 9501s are the white version of the black 9500... the sound is kind of an inverted version of the EX71, having slightly soft treble, and a smoother bass - the mids are much better too, but they do still suffer to a fairly large degree in the same way that the Sonys do (IE the bass can still be overwhelming, and can also sound a little lumpy on occasion) - also they're not quite as isolating as the Sonys are (due to the larger vent on the back of the housing I would assume)

I can't comment on the JVCs though

(To be honest, you're probably better off sticking with the Panas you have)

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm.. I've moved on a fair way since the HN060... mine died within a month of having them, and I've since moved on to IEMs...

....snipped....

Now that's a shame Duncan. I read this thread through from the beginning and saw that you would compare them to the Senn 250's (which I have) and now they are busted.

Now i'll never know if they are better (sound wise) or not
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
Died a month after you bought em? Does that mean it's quality isn't up to par with the Sony's?

Oops, sorry I didn't see this...

No, not necessarily - it was that the cord got snagged (on a girl who was getting on the train as I was getting off) and... well, my ears were stronger than the cable lol

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #72 of 73
I don't believe they do...

If I can find the poor little things, i'll let you know, but I believe that they have a narrower air 'port' than the likes of Sonys etc

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #73 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
LFC SL...

The Philips 9501s are the white version of the black 9500... the sound is kind of an inverted version of the EX71, having slightly soft treble, and a smoother bass - the mids are much better too, but they do still suffer to a fairly large degree in the same way that the Sonys do (IE the bass can still be overwhelming, and can also sound a little lumpy on occasion) - also they're not quite as isolating as the Sonys are (due to the larger vent on the back of the housing I would assume)

I can't comment on the JVCs though

(To be honest, you're probably better off sticking with the Panas you have)

Actually, I found a way to make every semi canalphone fit like the EX51/71's...
I should really post the tip mod. I've been meaning to do it last week for the T-Board.

So you guys will see the full potential of semi canalphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back