Goodbye Sony, Hello Philips
Jun 14, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
duncan,
with respect, why are you messing around with cheap canalphones when there are a slew of high-end canal phones out there right now?

Because I can
biggrin.gif

Its all about choice, and with the reports of the Shure E2C sounding muted in the treble, and with the next expensive unit being three times more expensive than the Philips (or five times, if you're using US$ conversion rates which is still even then only about half the price in the UK market) and with me not having an infinite supply of cash, I thought i'd try something new... especially when its considered that I sold off the ER4P because I couldn't get to love them

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

duncan,
with respect, why are you messing around with cheap canalphones when there are a slew of high-end canal phones out there right now?

The question wasn't directed at me RS but why shouldn't a person be "messing about" with "cheap" canalphones? What ever happened to "affordability" "budget" "midrange" "high-end" etc. (or more importantly "choice")

Just because high-end canal phones exist doesn't mean all others (cheaper phones) should be discounted as something one would "mess around" with....... remember, there is a 'phone to suit every ear and every budget and the sooner this "elitist" high-end or nothing wave that's pervading Head-Fi disappears the better.

It's not everyone that wants (or can afford) to wander about with uber expensive 'phones attached or plugged into their ears ...... let's get back to what this forum is all about........ The best 'phones to suit all ears on any given budget.

Please don't let Head-Fi turn into a forum for elitist show offs. (I've had enough of "bob Geldof" to last a lifetime)

Mike.

PS: Those Philips 'phones sound great for the price Duncan.

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #48 of 73
fair enough. but when you consider the added costs of a bunch of cheaper phones vs. a single purchase high-end phone, this argument makes less sense.

but given you've tried the er4p and didn't like them, then who am i to say what is "better"? it's just when someone asks my opinion on a purchase (recently which espresso maker to buy, the good $900 model or the ultimate $1300 model), i asked him if he thought if he bought the cheaper one would he someday feel the need to upgrade knowing something better is out there? he answered "yes" so my advice was to get the best he could afford first.

it is in fact cheaper in the long run.

but i know finding the holy-grail budget phone is your thing, so i'll leave it.

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

fair enough. but when you consider the added costs of a bunch of cheaper phones vs. a single purchase high-end phone, this argument makes less sense.

but given you've tried the er4p and didn't like them, then who am i to say what is "better"? it's just when someone asks my opinion on a purchase (recently which espresso maker to buy, the good $900 model or the ultimate $1300 model), i asked him if he thought if he bought the cheaper one would he someday feel the need to upgrade knowing something better is out there? he answered "yes" so my advice was to get the best he could afford first.

it is in fact cheaper in the long run.

but i know finding the holy-grail budget phone is your thing, so i'll leave it.

I'm just saying there's a place for "budget" 'phones in the market and to say high end 'phones sound better kinda defeats the purpose of this site. If everyone could buy the best this site wouldn't exist......... this thread is discussing a budget phone and for you to chirp in with "there are better hi-end phones" doesn't help....... don't you think we know there are pricier 'phones available?

Mike.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #50 of 73
hi mike,
you're free to discuss cheap phones just as much as i'm free to point out there are better ones.

my point being:
the cost of ex71/81 + philips phones + whatever other cheapies you've tried out cost the same as buying a single pair of ety er6 for example.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

hi mike,
you're free to discuss cheap phones just as much as i'm free to point out there are better ones.

my point being:
the cost of ex71/81 + philips phones + whatever other cheapies you've tried out cost the same as buying a single pair of ety er6 for example.

Yeh ok.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #55 of 73
Thanks to duncan and mlwang, i decided to get myself a pair of HN060's (well, actually my wife bought them for me
eggosmile.gif
) Quite happy with them so far. they are a bit "bright" and I had to lower the high frequencies a bit, but they work well. Vocals sound good through them too
280smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #56 of 73
I think thats the thing...

...So long as they fit, they actually work pretty well...

I will emphasise my point there for anyone else looking at them... these 'phones are VERY fit dependent...

biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlwang
Duncan, any review on the HN110? how is it working?

Not very well...

I would look elsewhere (PX250?) if you're after a larger NC 'phone than the HN060 earbuds...

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #59 of 73
I just happened upon these tonight at target. I had never heard of them before, and they looked decent and the specs were good, so I bought them. Lo and behold, they were on sale for $19.99. so far i would say that they are quite good, much better than the stock iRiver ones I am replacing. they fit well, stay in well, sound good, and have good volume. the neckband is somewhat different, but i will see how this turns out as i use them more.

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #60 of 73
I'm still debating over whether to get another pair or not after mine were destroyed...

...I like them, but they're about three times the price in the UK than what you guys can get them for in the US - at sale price, which kind of hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back