Goodbye Sony, Hello Philips
May 26, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #31 of 73
mlwang...

I think you're just used to insanely loud volumes, because I can certainly drive these loud enough - and I'm used to loud volumes
biggrin.gif

The PX250 noise cancellation is no better imho, i still have a sneaky suspicion that you're not wearing them 'correctly'... as I have mentioned before, they can sound pretty terrible if not..

...Of course though, not everyone likes things the same - what are your other earphones?

May 27, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
mlwang...

I think you're just used to insanely loud volumes, because I can certainly drive these loud enough - and I'm used to loud volumes
biggrin.gif

The PX250 noise cancellation is no better imho, i still have a sneaky suspicion that you're not wearing them 'correctly'... as I have mentioned before, they can sound pretty terrible if not..

...Of course though, not everyone likes things the same - what are your other earphones?

LOL yes maybe i have been listening to loud music for such a long time that my ear drum are not sensitive now :p

My old earphone is from Philips also. It is SBCHS480/00, with Frequency response : 10 - 22 000 Hz, Maximum power input : 50 mW.

I tried the earphone this morning on the way to work, using a PDA Palm Tungsten T, listening to the Audiobook "My Life" by Bill Clinton. The voice of Bill Clinton (in FM quality) would normally been drain out by the rumbling noise of the road if my use my old earphone, I had to strain my ears to listen to make up what is his rumbling about.

But with HN060, his voice is clear, and i had a good time listening to his life story unfold during my bus trip to the office.

Think I just have to give my HN060 some time to prove its worth, next test would be a 25 hr trip, with 3 stop overs. Hope it will show its NC capability well.

Duncan, how to wear the HN060 correctly. The instructions that come with the earphone is not adequate to explain that and this is the 1st time I am using a canal earphone.

May 27, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlwang
Duncan, how to wear the HN060 correctly. The instructions that come with the earphone is not adequate to explain that and this is the 1st time I am using a canal earphone.

Hi...

The best way is by trial and error... play some music that has some bass, and if they're not inserted correctly they will sound really thin, and anemic...

When that happens, or the music sounds generally thin I then push them in to my ears a little more, and it sounds that much better... its all a matter of trial and error, but odds on, when the bass sounds right, the noise cancellation effect will improve also
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 73
Hi everybody,

Can someone who owns the hn060 answer this for me?

1. What's the cable length between the buds and NC unit?

2. How big is the NC unit (i'm thinking of aquiring the hn060 for my new "minimal" rig (flash player + buds) so size is an issue)?

3. How long does battery last with NC on?

4. Do you get additional diferent sized tips (small, medium, big)?

5. How usable are they in the passive mode (no NC)?

6. How do they compare to MD33 (wich are in the same price range for me)?
icon10.gif

Cheers...
etysmile.gif

May 29, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
Hi everybody,

Can someone who owns the hn060 answer this for me?

1. What's the cable length between the buds and NC unit?

2. How big is the NC unit (i'm thinking of aquiring the hn060 for my new "minimal" rig (flash player + buds) so size is an issue)?

3. How long does battery last with NC on?

4. Do you get additional diferent sized tips (small, medium, big)?

5. How usable are they in the passive mode (no NC)?

6. How do they compare to MD33 (wich are in the same price range for me)?
icon10.gif

Cheers...
etysmile.gif

I can answer some, but not all of these questions...

1) The necklace means that the NC 'pod' sits about 2/3 of the way between my neck, and my trousers, but has more than enough length to be put into an inside jacket pocket...

2) the unit size is not really much bigger than a cigarette lighter, and as mentioned before, can be easily concealed if required.

3) I've put about 30hrs on to these using the 'standard' Philips battery that comes supplied, and its still going strong - I think you'll probably be looking at 40hrs at max though, there is only so much you can get a battery to do (then again... looking at newer generation Sony MDs... they last forever on just one AA... and there is a whole lot less to consider with the AAA in this NC unit..)

4) No, although in my case, that isn't a problem.

5) They are usable, although don't expect them to blow your ears off... most people here though don't like listening too loudly, so that might not be too much of a concern.

6) Thats the one I can't answer... maybe someone else can
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #36 of 73
Hi all, just completed my business trip, a very looong flight, more than 27 hrs.

some additional comments about the Hn060.

The noise cancelling function is quite good, i would give it 3.75 out of 5, when it is on, even without music, the rumbling noise of the engine is cut off by at least 75%, if you get the ear bud in the right position, with music on, the engine sound is cut further, and it just fade away in the background.

the ear bud does not fit my ears real well though, especially when munching my food, and shuffling around my seat, it tends to loosen, and the NC effect is affected, will be good if the earphones come with other sizes of the ear buds.

I love the neck strap, during my flight I have several connecting flights to make, and when I leave my seat or the plane , I just let the earphone hang there, no fuss to keep my earphone. great feature.

In total, I have used the Hn060 more than 70 hrs since I bought the earphone, and the AAA battery is still working fine.

Overall, I would give the HN060 a 3.75 out of 5 rating. Only complaint is the ear bud which is not so fitting for long wear especially during movement.

Would wait for Duncan's HN110 review, that would be a perfect headphone if it perform as good as HN060 in the NC function.

Some comments to manage new user's expectation of NC function:

The NC function is not 100% block off the environment sound, so dont expect you would be totally cut off from external noise such as talking, screeching sounds with such ear phone.

The NC earphone will work best on plane, followed by bus, and with some NC on underground subway.

NC earphone is a perfect companion for long haul flight, the NC earphone let me zzz easier on the plane, with the rumbling sound fade away in the background, even though the music is not on.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlwang
Would wait for Duncan's HN110 review, that would be a perfect headphone if it perform as good as HN060 in the NC function.

Sorry, but the NC is not as good on the HN110 as it is on the HN060...

...I don't know if I have a faulty pair, but wind noise (microphonics - in a literal way) is very loud with NC on, BUT disappears when NC is off...

...I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but overall - If I had to be commital right this second, I would not hesitate to recommend the HN060 over the HN110...

...Will see if I still feel the same way in a couple of weeks when everything is burnt in and settled down.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #38 of 73
No no man.. the ex-71 is the best. primise you.. u play them loud? play them loud please u get some good bass then! promise you.. u have them in your ear right?

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
No no man.. the ex-71 is the best. primise you.. u play them loud? play them loud please u get some good bass then! promise you.. u have them in your ear right?

rolleyes.gif

You know, music aint about bass and loudness.

Question for the philips, are there any other tips that fit? (eg. shure, ety sony tips)

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polarize
Question for the philips, are there any other tips that fit? (eg. shure, ety sony tips)

I can't say that i've tried...

...I don't think it would work though, for example - the Sony tips are shorter than the stock ones, which would mean that the cable etc would dig in to your ear further... maybe you could put them in to your ear upside down...

...Either way no - I haven't tried yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #41 of 73
I just got my pair (HN060).

Quick comments: not very high-fidelity soundwise + the noise caused by noise cancelling itself is quite noticeable.

They're a decent pair for $19.95, but I'm going to relegate them to "reckless duty" i.e. place where I don't want to wear Etys, but a cheap headphone with a slight noise masking attribute will do.

The air plane two prong adapter was the best part in the package
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
I just got my pair (HN060).

Quick comments: not very high-fidelity soundwise + the noise caused by noise cancelling itself is quite noticeable.

They're a decent pair for $19.95, but I'm going to relegate them to "reckless duty" i.e. place where I don't want to wear Etys, but a cheap headphone with a slight noise masking attribute will do.

The air plane two prong adapter was the best part in the package
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats the thing though...

Compared to ETYs, there is no chance at all for them to sound 'great'... but for a cheap pair of earphones for on a flight... I don't think they can be beat...

...I mean - compare them costwise to the likes of the Sony MDR-NC10
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #43 of 73
Just a couple things real quick.

Thanks duncan for all the info you've supplied over the ages.

but... WHY DIDN'T YOU COME ACROSS THESE TWO MONTHS AGO?!?!? Sorry... had to yell a bit. In case you didn't know, Target carries these headphones. I blew them off, b/c 50$ NC canalphones...riiiiight. I know they're down to 29.99$ now, but a copule months ago, they were giving these away FREE with purchase of an iPod, portable DVD player, and a couple other things. One thing, was a 49.99$ panasonic mp3 pcdp. Now, if you didn't need the portable, you could give it as a gift, or you could, (now this is a little shady, but) you could use the gift reciept (no item listed, no purchase price, no incentive listed) to take back the cd player, and get the 49.99$ refunded, whilst keeping the aforementioned cans for FREE! Not even tax... straight up free!

If only I'd have known... if only.

Oh well... next time, we'll know.

**BRENT**

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #44 of 73
Oops, Sorry Brent
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #45 of 73
duncan,
with respect, why are you messing around with cheap canalphones when there are a slew of high-end canal phones out there right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back