Good wireless headphones?....
Jun 5, 2004 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

slick

100+ Head-Fier
that might be an oxymoron, but i am looking for a good pair for my sister. she is getting into the whole wireless thing; i just helped her setup a wireless network in her apartment, now she wants wireless cans.
i tried a pair of sony and acoustic research wireless headphones, they were cheap, $100 or less. the problem wasnt really the sound quality, and my sister doesnt really care about that either (she isnt as critical about sound as most), but it was the darned interference. all i heard out of both sets were crackling and noise, it was horrible.
so what i need is something that will sound good and not interfere with a wireless (2.4ghz) network.

lets not worry about price, i just want some suggestions as to what will work.

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 7
The line of sight infrared models should be free of interference. I don't know all the available models. There are those Pioneer ones that are pretty good. They are $400+ though. I tried one at a head-fi meet. The ones which use analog to send/receive would have interference. The problem with common digital wireless stuff is that they might be in the already crowded 2.4ghz band. I'm sure may have had this common experience with wireless home phones.

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The line of sight infrared models should be free of interference. I don't know all the available models. There are those Pioneer ones that are pretty good. They are $400+ though. I tried one at a head-fi meet. The ones which use analog to send/receive would have interference. The problem with common digital wireless stuff is that they might be in the already crowded 2.4ghz band. I'm sure may have had this common experience with wireless home phones.

i guess infrared might be the way to go, hopefully they arent that picky about how "in line of sight" you need to be.
gotta any clues on how the sennheiser RS wireless headphones are? i can easily go and pick up a pair of RS45 and RS65, luckily i have a sennheiser dealer close by.

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 7
There's this Pioneer announces SE-DIR800C for USA thread. It looks like he got it cheaper than $400.

I don't know how the Senns wireless stuff is. You could try it at the dealership maybe?

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
There's this Pioneer announces SE-DIR800C for USA thread. It looks like he got it cheaper than $400.

I don't know how the Senns wireless stuff is. You could try it at the dealership maybe?

sister is not really looking to spend more than $200 on them (i had to convince her that less than $100 cans will most likely suck). i cant demo the wireless stuff there, but they have a good return policy, so i'll probably just buy a pair and see how they work at home.

Jun 6, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I have the RS65's. I haven't had any real problems with them. The sound quality is not equal to the other phones I use but I haven't really had a problem with too much interference.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 7
just picked up a set of rs65's. gonna test them out for my sister first, so i have them charging for the 24 hours they recommend (i guess its to keep the battery life good).
i like how there are 2 battery packs and that you can have one charging while you use the other. the SRS surround mode looks interesting, hopefully it wont junkify the sound. and they feel comfortable, so i think my sister will be happy. it works on 925mhz or so frequency, and seeing that my sister has a 2.4ghz phone and wireless router, she shouldnt have problems i guess.
i know that they wont sound nearly as good as a pair of wired cans, but i bet they sound pretty darn good, i dont see a company like sennheiser making crappy products, even my cheap $20 px60's sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back