Good Upgrade to SRH440 for Electronic, Indian, some Metal, and some Rap music under $200
May 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rarora2012

New Head-Fier
So I have had my Shure SRH440s for about 3 or 4 years now, and I was wondering what a good pair of headphones would be for as an upgrade, if I mainly use them to listen to electronic and Indian music, along with some metal and rap mixed in. Also, I wouldn't be using these headphones with an amp, and as far as my personal preferences go, I found the SRH440s to sound very good, but to be weak in the bass department, especially for the electronic and metal music where there was a lot going on at the same time. When listening to rap music, or some Indian music, I found the bass to be quite alright, as there were only a few instruments, and the headphones could "focus" more on the bass. I was thinking that I would want to stick with closed headphones or semi-opens since I mostly use headphones in the car, on a plane, or when it is late and I can't use my speakers, although I am still open to the idea of having an open headphone if they are significantly better. Oh, one last thing, I found the headband on these to be very uncomfortable, and had to take them off after about 30-40 minutes, although that time has been extended to a little over an hour now, so I am really hoping for a very comfy pair of headphones that I don't have to take off during long car rides etc.

From the research that I have done so far, I was mainly looking at the Beyerdynamic dt880 32 ohm, and the dt770 80 ohm, though I am having a tough time trying to decide between the two, as I am nervous the 880s will have too little bass for me, and that the 770s will have too much. Also, I was wondering if you think that the 80 ohm 770s would be alright if I was using them without an amp, and plugging them into my phone and computer? Also, please do feel free to suggest any other headphones that you think would be a good upgrade under $200, or if you don't think it is worth upgrading if that is my budget, do let me know! Thanks for any, and all help!

May 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 12
  Thanks for the suggestions! I think now I am deciding between the hp100 and the dt770. I was also looking at the Custom One Pro. Do you think that would be a good option as well?

The hp100s are better all rounders when compared to the dt770 80 ohms but they dont have the fun sound signature that the dt770 80 ohm has.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-black

May 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 12
The Soundmagic's HP100 has anemic bass.. While their SQ is a direct upgrade from the SRH440 (I had walked the exact same path...), they wouldn't satisfy a bass-head. 

May 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 12
May 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 12
The Soundmagic's HP100 has anemic bass.. While their SQ is a direct upgrade from the SRH440 (I had walked the exact same path...), they wouldn't satisfy a bass-head. 

From what I had read it sounded like the hp100 had pretty good bass, but since the dt770s are cheaper and supposed to sound more "fun" I think I'm going to go with them. Thanks for the help!

May 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 12
I think I'm gonna go with the dt770s cause I think I enjoy the "fun" sound signature more than super accurate and a flat sound curve, plus the dt770s are cheaper currently. Thanks for the help!

The yamaha mt220 is neutral but has a lot of bass slam apparently
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-hph-mt220bl/reviews/9991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back