Good upgrade over S4s/RE0s?
Jun 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

canikickit1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

. After hearing the RE0 and its insane clarity, are there any other headphones that has the same clarity as an RE0, but the colorful sound and immersion of the S4. Didn't really like the RE0's cold analytical sound,separated instruments, but loved its clarity. Any headphones out there with that balance?

I listen to mostly hip-hop,rock,house, and techno. Spending limit around 150ish.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Try the RE-ZEROs.
Also i'd ask, the pair that u listened to, was it old?
Coz, the RE0s in production 'now' are more 'fuller' than the last batch that ClieOS and other reviewers have. And it has more bass even. The highs are less harsh even. So i'd say if not already, check out a recent pair of the RE0s.
Also don't forget the RE-ZEROs. They are not cold at all. So now u know...

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Hmm.. yes the RE-zeros look appealing.

The RE0s I listened to were fairly new and recent. Bought them last week. But returned them today

You got the new batch then.  The RE-ZEROs have a tiny bit more bass than the original RE0, so it might actually sound similar to the new RE0.  Recent headphones that I have that have detail (not RE0 detail, but enough detail) and more bass would be the ADDIEMs (pretty balanced still, but warmer), and the ThinkSound TS02 (boomy, mids are recessed though, good highs, but can't match RE0 highs; still enough detail).  Only two that come to mind right now :p

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 10
RE0s have that analytical sound... is it possible to have the clarity of the RE0s minus the analytical-ness. Or is analytical = clarity?

I'm not really a basshead, the RE0's sharp detailed bass was enough for me, its just hard to get immersed into music with these headphones separated instruments... I guess the best way to describe it is the "warmth/colorful-ness" of other phones?

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
RE0s have that analytical sound... is it possible to have the clarity of the RE0s minus the analytical-ness. Or is analytical = clarity?

I'm not really a basshead, the RE0's sharp detailed bass was enough for me, its just hard to get immersed into music with these headphones separated instruments... I guess the best way to describe it is the "warmth/colorful-ness" of other phones?

Analytical I think = clarity + details + details + details + thinness + more?  ADDIEMs have a little more warmth and a tiny bit more bass than the RE0s.  You lose some treble extension though.  They still have some clarity.  This is all assuming you can obtain a good seal, so you'll need some after market tips most likely (I was able to get a great fit with the stock smalls though).

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Fischer Audio DBA-02 has RE-0 like clarity (perhaps even more pronounced, to the point of being slightly bright) and to some a more "engaging" dynamic range. You could give that a try, it's around your budget.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
You got the new batch then.  The RE-ZEROs have a tiny bit more bass than the original RE0, so it might actually sound similar to the new RE0.  Recent headphones that I have that have detail (not RE0 detail, but enough detail) and more bass would be the ADDIEMs (pretty balanced still, but warmer), and the ThinkSound TS02 (boomy, mids are recessed though, good highs, but can't match RE0 highs; still enough detail).  Only two that come to mind right now :p

Amping my RE0s gives me way more noticable bass than my RE-ZEROs (amped/unamped)
thats what it is with the new batch, they have the same size (the physical body), and a better soundstage than the ZEROs.
to me, the 0s are good, but i miss the way the treble was harsh in the previous batch.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 10
LOL i actually bought a set of Ety HF3 to test them out. WOnderful sound.. but i still feel RE0s are the way to go.. might re-order then.. this time from the website and not from dbroth(amazon)

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 10
Try the RE-ZEROs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back