good turntable that can rip vinyls to lossless digital
Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #46 of 96
http://www.nottinghamanaloguestudio.com/

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #48 of 96
Quote:
well i only had the idea of wanting to get a turntable because theres a CD that costs a lot and the vinyl not so much, 

If that is the only reason, I would say, don't.
I wholeheartedly support what ProcessJunkie has written. Stop and think again.
CDs are really cheap. Look into old releases (from the 90s for example, not the earliest from the 80s). They are less compressed/loudness enhanced and usually sell for a few dimes only. 
If you want current releases, my recommendation would be, buy used and then you may sell after ripping. Usually it is forbidden, but only if you rip lossless. If you rip lossy (mp3, 320bit) most likely not. Check the law of your country.

Converting vinyl to digital is a hell of work, it is always noisy and, if you have to invest into hardware, you won't win anything, because the price difference is so small.
Used vinyl can also be in a bad state, so you have to buy a washing machine, or you have no fun with the noise. As I said - don't start this. It is a hype anyway, which means, prices will rise/are currently rising steeply. CD prices, on the other hand, are falling. So don't invest into the wrong side, if its about money and not about surfing on top of a wave. 

Quality wise, someone has mentioned this, unless you buy a really good player/cartridge/phono amp ($$$), you won't win either. 
The best thing I read in this thread is about digitizing old vinyl releases that are not available as cd. That makes a lot of sense. A bit(!!!!!) of noise can also sound charming, especially on old recordings.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #49 of 96
Quote:

If that is the only reason, I would say, don't.
I wholeheartedly support what ProcessJunkie has written. Stop and think again.
CDs are really cheap. Look into old issues (from the 90s for example, not the earliest from the 80s). They are less compressed/loudness enhanced and usually sell for a few dimes only. 
If you want current releases, my recommendation would be, buy used and then you may sell after ripping. Usually it is forbidden, but only if you rip lossless. If you rip lossy (mp3, 320bit) most likely not. Check the law of your country.

Converting vinyl to digital is a hell of work, it is always noisy and, if you have to invest into hardware, you won't win anything, because the price difference is so small.
Used vinyl can also be in a bad state, so you have to buy a washing machine, or you have no fun with the noise. As I said - don't start this. It is a hype anyway, which means, prices will rise/are currently rising steeply. CD prices, on the other hand, are falling. So don't invest into the wrong side, if its about money and not about surfing on top of a wave. 

Quality wise, someone has mentioned this, unless you buy a really good player/cartridge/phono amp ($$$), you won't win either. 
The best thing I read in this thread is about digitizing old vinyl releases that are not available as cd. That makes a lot of sense. A bit of noise can also sound charming, especially on old recordings (please note: a bit).

yeah right now im about to cancel the turntable idea anyway because of too much stuff for analog audio. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #50 of 96
Quote:

yeah right now im about to cancel the turntable idea anyway because of too much stuff for analog audio. 

Oops, I wasn't even done editing the post.
Good idea. These forums are worth real money sometimes. 

How is the law in California? Could you rip lossy and then sell the source CD without getting in trouble ?

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #51 of 96
Quote:
Oops, I wasn't even done editing the post.
Good idea. These forums are worth real money sometimes. 

my priority is to send my dx100 back to ibasso for not being able to turn it on if i cant restart it. then i will see where i go from there. a very possible next step is to send my stock fostex t50rp to luis for a paradox mod. and then maybe i will venture into ciem land because i never have ciem before though i do own some iems but they are all universal. what about you man? where do you think you will spend your money on next? im guessing its not end game for you yet since most of us arent completely done with our setups

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #52 of 96
No, I am certainly not done. 
I recently bought a new cdp (ayon cd 1sc) and I have a headamp/headphone pair, that I like a lot (hd 650/earmax silver) - it has survived several attempts to better it already. So I think this will stay for a while.

Currently, I revived my old turntable, but I am not overwhelmed. Think about, if its worth to buy a new cartridge since the one that I use is 40 years old (but not used a lot). I also still fight with me, if its worth to invest into a good amp/speaker pair. I'd like to try the Leben CS 300 or a McIntosh. But then, if I really listen to music, I use my headphones. I ordered a Cowon mp3/flac player to replace my aged iPod Nano, 2gen.

But most money goes into music (cds). I'd like to find the best quality performances and recordings. I also investigated Studio Master downloads (96 KHz, 24 bit) to see, if thats worth anything. A lot to listen to and a lot to understand about sound science and about how the ear/brain works.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #53 of 96
Quote:
No, I am certainly not done. 
I recently bought a new cdp (ayon cd 1sc) and I have a headamp/headphone pair, that I like a lot (hd 650/earmax silver) - it has survived several attempts to better it already. So I think this will stay for a while.

Currently, I revived my old turntable, but I am not overwhelmed. Think about, if its worth to buy a new cartridge since the one that I use is 40 years old (but not used a lot). I also still fight with me, if its worth to invest into a good amp/speaker pair. I'd like to try the Leben CS 300 or a McIntosh. But then, if I really listen to music, I use my headphones. I ordered a Cowon mp3/flac player to replace my aged iPod Nano, 2gen.

But most money goes into music (cds). I'd like to find the best quality performances and recordings. I also investigated Studio Master downloads (96 KHz, 24 bit) to see, if thats worth anything. A lot to listen to and a lot to understand about sound science and about how the ear/brain works.

cool dude, for me, my music may not be audiophile music. usually audiophile music is a bit too boring for my taste to be honest. those lben and mcintosh are too expensive for me lol... for dap, i have an ibasso dx100 to replace my ipod classic+fiio e17 combo.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #54 of 96
Quote:
cool dude, for me, my music may not be audiophile music. usually audiophile music is a bit too boring for my taste to be honest. those lben and mcintosh are too expensive for me lol... for dap, i have an ibasso dx100 to replace my ipod classic+fiio e17 combo.

I should have been more precise: I try to find the best recordings of the music that I want to listen too. Audiophile stuff that is only there to make the gear sound best does not interest me either.

those lben and mcintosh are too expensive for me lol... 

Thats part of the problem.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #55 of 96
Quote:

I should have been more precise: I try to find the best recordings of the music that I want to listen too. Audiophile stuff that is only there to make the gear sound best does not interest me either.

Thats part of the problem.

how long do you think it will take you to save up? for me, to do all that i said that i may do, it would probably take close to a year

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #56 of 96
Quote:
how long do you think it will take you to save up? for me, to do all that i said that i may do, it would probably take close to a year

For me its not so much about to have the money or to have not. My concern is more: will I use it enough, where do I put it (you know, McIntosh amps are bulky and heavy) and will this new equipment really outclass the old.
Companies have really professionalized their marketing nowadays. But their stuff rarely meets their promises imho. So I test and audition equipment before I buy it. That can be a lot of work and the stuff should be worth it.

The price for a new amp is one thing. If you use it for a while and have a good time listening to it (and showing it to whoever visits), then any price should be ok. But, if you don't like the stuff, usually a quick sale means losing thousands, even after a few weeks only.
That I don't like and thats why I check carefully. Keeps the home clutter free, too. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #57 of 96
Quote:
For me its not so much about to have the money or to have not. My concern is more: will I use it enough, where do I put it (you know, McIntosh amps are bulky and heavy) and will this new equipment really outclass the old.
Companies have really professionalized their marketing nowadays. But their stuff rarely meets their promises imho. So I test and audition equipment before I buy it. That can be a lot of work and the stuff should be worth it.

The price for a new amp is one thing. If you use it for a while and have a good time listening to it (and showing it to whoever visits), then any price should be ok. But, if you don't like the stuff, usually a quick sale means losing thousands, even after a few weeks only.
That I don't like and thats why I check carefully. Keeps the home clutter free, too. 

so you dont plan on sidegrading then? and i feel you on having stuff that you dont use or dont like. for me, i right now kind of want to end game and stop spending but will see how that goes 
size]
 sorry, since you edited your post so i didnt get to read what you asked. on the california law, im no expert on that and dont know the law. i would think its ok but dont know. for me, i dont sell cds. i like to keep the cds as archives so i will rip them in lossless (usually alac) and then throw the cds aside as archives. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #58 of 96
Bandwidth and resolution are also not there. Unless its a latest LP digitally remastered copy, maybe you can achieve better sound quality.
Otherwise, its better to play as it is.... through a good Hi-fi Audiophile set up. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #60 of 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back