Good turnables...? And where do I get vinyl?
Feb 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So all the Technics 1x00 series turntable sounds the same? MSRP wise, does the higher the model number, the higher the retail?

How about non 1x00 Technics turntables? are they good also? maybe even better?

No not all the Technics are equal. In order I would go for 1000, 1100, 120, 150, 1200, 1500, 1800, 1700, 1400, 1300. Also 1210,1810 etc denotes that they are black but otherwise the same.
The first 4 allow for any arm to be fitted and often come with an SME 3009, the 1200 and 1500 have aftermarket armboards from Origin Live which allow arm upgrades which may or may not work with the others. Generally the ones with automatic features are less professional allowing for less after market upgradeability which is why I rate them less in the pecking order but they are very fine decks all the same.
Then there are SL-DXX which just denotes direct drive or SL-QXX which is quartz locked direct drive which again are usually auto or semi auto and have less utilitarian styling those mentioned above.
Then there are fully automated linear trackers like the SL-5/7/10/15 which are very good and quite underated 2nd hand.
Lastly there are the budget belt drive decks which are labelled SL-BDXX and these are also very good starter decks although some are limited by P-Mount cartridges of which there are fewer these days (same goes for the Linear trackers).
Altogether Technics didn't really make any clangers even at the lowest end of their range which is why they are always a sure thing compared to most Japanese manufacturers. Denon are also excellent on the whole and '70s Sansui or Pioneer are generally a good buy.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 48
Z: In the Technics realm, better than 1xx0 pretty much only leaves the SL-120, SP-10/15/25 and - maybe debatably - the SL-M1/M2/M3.

What you'll need will depend on what you'll get. If you get a new (or reconditioned used) table with adjustment done by factory or dealer, you'll need a phono stage of some sort (to lift the delicate phono signal (~ 0.2 - 0.5 mV for regular moving-coils and low-output moving-irons, ~ 3 - 8 mV for regular moving-magnets & moving-irons and high-output moving-coils) up to line-level (~ 1 - 2 V) as well as to apply RIAA-reequalisation; and no, your Rudistor apparently doesn't contain one - seems to be pure line-level) and a good brush for dry cleaning before play (I'd recommend the carbon fibre-velvet-carbon fibre one from Hunt EDA/QED/Goldring - the broad velvet strip can also be used to clean dust from the stylus) - and a bubble level also can't harm (placement on a stable & level surface recommended, btw (wall-board, audio-rack, bookshelf, table...); in addition, there should be some distance to electromagnetic radiators (e.g. power-supplies) in order to avoid electromagnetic interference, and in order to avoid acoustic feedback, if you also want to listen over speakers, the location for the table should also be safe from being rattled by the speakers themselves and/or their soundwave emission...).

In case you're buying a used table, it will depend on the condition - but, in general, you should better be prepared to additionally buy a replacement needle (if (still) available; cheaper needle clones from second source manufacturers not so much recommended, btw...) or new cartridge, replacement belt(s) (wherever applicable) and adjustment accessories (mainly stylus pressure gauge, alignment/protractor disc/gauge and test record).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the hierarchy for Dual Turntables?

Oh, that's difficult, 'cause they made so many models/model variations over time and the naming/numbering scheme isn't really conclusive. But, to make it short, the best models were the Golden & Silver Stone, Golden One (CS7000), CS5000 and CS750(-1). Also good to very good: the 7xx(Q) direct drive models. Proper to good: most of the 5xx belt drives and 6xx(Q) direct drives.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 48
You don't need a phono pre-amp, it really depends on what you're using as a headphone amp. I use a Pioneer SX-720 that has a phono input built into the amp, so I can just plug it in.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 48
Don't get the MMF5 until you've properly auditioned it against other turntables in the price range. I own one and I have enough noise/speed stability issues with it that I really wish I would have tried a SL1200 too. (However it is worth noting that Music Hall has allegedly improved its QC practices since my table was manufactured.)

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 48
Can I use the Stello HP100 and/or Rudistor RP7-B's preamp function as a phono preamp?

Is it possible to plug the turntable straight into either one of those amps and use them without a phono preamp?

Is there a difference between a phono preamp and just preamp?

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 48
Z: As already explained a couple of replies above, "(...) you'll need a phono stage of some sort (to lift the delicate phono signal (~ 0.2 - 0.5 mV for regular moving-coils and low-output moving-irons, ~ 3 - 8 mV for regular moving-magnets & moving-irons and high-output moving-coils) up to line-level (~ 1 - 2 V) as well as to apply RIAA-reequalisation; and no, your Rudistor apparently doesn't contain one - seems to be pure line-level) (...)". And no, the Stello doesn't seem to contain a phono stage either - with pure line-level pre-amp stages like the Rudistor, Stello et cetera, you'll need to add an external phono stage.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini[/QUOTE]

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #26 of 48
for cheap used vinyl you can check out thrift stores like salvation army and value village, but most the time they have barbra streiesand or something like that... ocassionally you'll find something cool at a low price depending if the employees at that location do a weekly sweep. I bet there are some vinyl shops around your area, just need to keep an eye out. some used book stores are also a good bet as mentioned earlier.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 48
My brother has a Music Hall MMF9. Currently has a Grado Cartridge in it. For a little as I listened to it, it really brings his theater system to life. It plays smooth and no issues with any noise (for the money, I wouldn't expect any less)

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. You live in Texas. Hit up every Half Price Books in a 20-mile radius. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Austin too. HPB is the first place I had in mind. I plan on paying my local HPB a visit and see if I can locate some vinyls to my liking and will look more seriously into a turntable if I do.

BTW what does the Rega P2 have as the stock cartridge?

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you live in or close to Austin? your homepage link leads me to believe you are in Austin.

a head-fi member was speaking of the Austin Record Show recently as being the biggest in the country. looks like the Spring show was canceled with the Fall show being the next event.
http://www.austinrecords.com/

check out the telephone book for some small record stores in your area that stock used vinyl.

if in or near Austin looks like ya got plenty of sources to acquire vinyl.
http://michaelbluejay.com/music/recstores.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back