Good Tube Amp for Denon D2000/D5000?
Apr 10, 2008 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

MatthewK

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seriously considering a tube amp, but I'm having a difficult time finding one that can properly drive a 25 ohm headphone (D2000/D5000).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 93
I can't recommend the DV332.

The very low impedence Denons (25 ohms) don't seem to mate well with the DV332. The mids/upper mids seem to have a slightly rough / hard sound. The rest of the sound is great - bass pretty tight, highs clear and detailed, great soundstage, etc.

Skylab reported to me that the DV337 sounds great with the D5000s.

And... I would guess the new Musical Fidelity XCAN v8, or the XCAN v3, would also, though they are tube hybrid amps. The XCAN v3 sounds good with the Grados (32 ohms).

The Singlepowers likely sound good with the Denons - they seem to drive the Grados well.

And the MAD EAR+ HD amps also likely sound good with them, since they are reportedly great with Grados.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 93
I would advise avoiding tube amps for the D5000. They need a full-powered solid state amp.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would advise avoiding tube amps for the D5000. They need a full-powered solid state amp.

Very interesting, I myself was thinking of getting a tube-amp, but now that you mention this, I'll stick with my Gilmore Lite for a bit longer...

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 93
The closest I've come to a SS amp is the XCAN v3 with is a SS/Tube hybrid - they do well with low impedence phones.

I'm sure the GS-1, or HR-2 would be fine also.

Markl advised me to get a Rudistor - he can address those. They're a bit "rich for my blood" - exchange rates with the Euro.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Darkvoice 337 works perfectly with the D2000/D5000's (and you have many options for tube rolling which won't cost you body parts).

Yep. The 337 has no problem with low impedance headphones like the Denon. It's a good match.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 93
I have used the GS-1 with stepped attenuator and I currently have the Rudisotr RPX-33 Mk2 and the RP7 Lite (hybrid). All of them match very good with my D5000 and D2000. There is not a big difference in the volume knob between the Ed9 and the Denon to sound at the same level.

The GS-1 is a little more analytical and dry kind of sound compared to the Rudistor amps. The RP7 has a better bass than the RPX-33 Mk2 IMO and with the new Beckman tubes I just put in it sounds wonderful.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 93
I have a pair of Denon 5000's, love em. I think they are worlds better than my first cans, the K701.

The first amp I ran my Denons with was a Sound Quest SQ-84, it was amazing. I sold it and got a Blue Circle SBH because I wanted a pre-amp as well. Never got a chance to compare the two.

The SBH does a great job with the Denon's, but I still miss that Sound Quest. It was incredible. So dynamic, so much detail, so smooth. Midrange to die for.

Stephen at Quest for Sound is really, really nice to do business with. Unlike some exotic tube amp manufacturers he has a phone number - you can call and talk to him. He responds to emails. He'll give you a discount!

Check it out!

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 93
On a side note:

I just acquired opened Darth Beyers (!), and found I was happy with the sound on with my XCan V2 (6922 Mullards tubes) but not so much on my Total Bithead (voices and highs too much recessed, bass not blended enough)

As well, I am considering acquiring either the D2000 or D5000 for closed listening in the office, and would like an Amp with a DAC (I get my music off itunes/apple lossless from my pc) that can drive both the Darth and an upcoming D2k or D5k.

Previous reviews from Skylab seem to indicate Meier 2Move, Cantate (or Opera, although the price is a little steep) as good candidates for those 2 HPs.

What do you think ? Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Cheers :wink: falcon_wizard

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 93
What's your budget? That would certainly help narrow the field.

Also, while I respect markl's opinion, I don't think the Denon's "need" an SS amp.

Although I don't have any experience with the Denons and SS, my WA6 drives my D2000 quite nicely. I've also listened to the D5000s with the Yamamoto, which sounded very nice.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 93
MUCH nicer looking than the old model! I like the way they've covered the transformers, that looks worlds better.

Damn, this looks fabulous.

I'm trying to upload a jpg of this, 37kb, 500x375 and it keeps failing on the upload.

Any suggestions?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back