good step up?
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

budman90

New Head-Fier
Now i know that the ath-a700's don't always recieve a good rap here on head-fi, but I think im still going to ask for them as a christmas gift. So my question is, are these headphones going to be a large step up from my current iem models? Btw, the iem's i own now are sony mdr-ex71.

I just dont want to buy a pair of headphones that won't make a signifigent difference in sq.

Oh yeah, if you have any other suggestion for a closed headphone in the $100-130 range that would be appreciated too.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Audio technica ATH-ES7 headphones are really nice for me. I find them to have enough punch to listen to hip hop and other bass heavy material. Also i bought a set on amazon for like $110 bucks. they are closed headphones so you can turn them up without sound leaking out and they are really comfortable and look nice too.

Good Luck

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 5
es7 is portable comfortable -> yes
es7 is home-use comfortable -> not really, (meaning: not for hours of use).

I don't know how the es7 compare to the a700 but they (es7) do sound really good.
and to put the standard alternative: denon d1001.
oh and don't forget the DT770 (now $108 at amazon?) great value for the money and comfortable too. only tried these for 15 min or so, but sounded good.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
es7 is portable comfortable -> yes
es7 is home-use comfortable -> not really, (meaning: not for hours of use).

I don't know how the es7 compare to the a700 but they (es7) do sound really good.
and to put the standard alternative: denon d1001.
oh and don't forget the DT770 (now $108 at amazon?) great value for the money and comfortable too. only tried these for 15 min or so, but sounded good.

I had thought about the dt770. The only problem is that the cheap ones on amazon are 250 ohms. I plan on running my headphones straight out of my mp3 player or laptop, so those are out.

Any other thoughts in regards to the comparison between the a700 and my current sony's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back