Good sounding cd player
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

That is a big statement... what daps have you compared yours to?

I guess they dont make them like they used to and are not all similar in SQ .  I briefly owned a low-mid range personal Sony CD player in the mid 90's and although good at the time, I found it very strange that my MD players sounded better overall.

what I meant  to say it's that I have used most of the Daps sold in the big electronic stores here in USA, for example Best Buy, Radio Shack and Circuit City (RIP), like I said I worked in those places, So I am talking about most of the Sansa , Iriver, toshibas, sonys, fuze etc, you know the ones you see when you go to Best Buy or Radio Shack, I had never used any of the other brands that most headfiers here worship  for example Hifimen, Ibasso, Colorfly or Studio V so if I had to choose from the daps sold in most of the electronic stores instead of getting a PCDP I would get a sansa clip until Fiio releases the X3 in April or May!

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Hey Gorillaz,

It's a D-141 which has a line out as well.  Sounds great indeed......Yes, the D-25 was the benchmark from what I have heard/read.  Hard to come by under $200 nowadays...Definitely a keeper....Solid vintage 1989 PCDP....I believe ALO had some in stock before for $275.

Definitely would like to check it out...Thanks...A local buddy (head-fier too) from Deerfield and myself usually get together every couple of months and check out some gear...The Holidays were busy, but I think we might be looking at the end of the month from when we last spoke.  I'll keep you posted...

Cheers!!!

Heat win in OT 119-109....
beerchug.gif

O.K. let me know about any meeting, I might get the AKG K702 65th Anniversary this month and may be the new "Fireflies" amp/dac from Woo Audio or a Portaphile627 to power them, but I'm undecided about the amps since I really don't like desktop setups anymore so I think I'll probably choose the Portaphile627,  the AKG K702 is not that portable and it's a open-back headphone but I have the feeling that I will like it.

looking forward to watch the game tonight Lets Go Heat!

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
O.K. let me know about any meeting, I might get the AKG K702 65th Anniversary this month and may be the new "Fireflies" amp/dac from Woo Audio or a Portaphile627 to power them, but I'm undecided about the amps since I really don't like desktop setups anymore so I think I'll probably choose the Portaphile627,  the AKG K702 is not that portable and it's a open-back headphone but I have the feeling that I will like it.

If you get the 627 would you be able to post impressions with the K702 Anniversary?  Thanks!!! :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Sounds good G...Will do...That Fireflies is crazy beautiful and been reading up on the 627 as well.  I dealt with Cesar years ago and all in all a stand up guy that really helps and answers all questions without missing a beat.

Well, we got spanked by Chicago and Indiana.  Hopefully tonight in Portland will be a different story.

I guess the OP went out and bought a dap, but PCDPs need love too..lol

Cheers!!!

May 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 21
Thanks for the input everyone I have bought my self a used portable cd player from E-bay. Their is no way I'm going with mp3 but was looking at dap's that play flac but still don't think they would be as good as the cd player. HeatFan12 like your setup by the way I bought a Sony D-131 Portable Diskman CD player $35 and very happy with the sound. On another note my sennheiser HD 428's has a broken wire and have it taped up for now and is kind of working I see you were talking about headphones their can you answer my question here http://www.head-fi.org/t/662567/audio-technica-or-sennheiser#post_9409996 thanks agin.

May 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 21
It's good to see at least a couple folks still showing love for the old PCDPs!  I'm wondering if anyone else has had a chance to try the Sony MPD-A20u portable CD burner/DVD-ROM Drive?  I've found this to be a hidden gem (to my ears at least) sounding pretty nice.  I've compared it to some of my other vintage PCDPs (D-250, D-777, D-33, D-335, D-223, etc.) and it has become my favorite to listen to paired with Sennheiser HD598 or Grado SR-80i phones.  I haven't seen any in-depth reviews on it (especially since PCDPs have fallen out of favor with the majority of folks), but curious if anyone else has tried it.  To me it's about on par with the D-250, but with the added benefit of portability (I don't have a working battery for the D-250).  Another benefit is, as a portable CD-ROM drive, it buffers the sound into a large 8MB buffer so is virtually skip free.  With that much space, I don't think they even bother to compress the sound...at least I haven't heard the artifacts that plague my later model units. 

Although it sounds great, it does have a couple drawbacks: battery life is abysmal (even with the built in Li-Ion battery!) at about 2hrs of play time per charge and you can't play it without an attached remote...there is no play button or LCD screen on the unit itself.  Also, no dedicated line out so you are pretty much stuck using the built in headphone amp. 

To the OP: can't go wrong with the D-131/141s.  They sound decent enough and are pretty common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back