Good solder and hookup wire?
May 12, 2006 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

peterpan188

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished my rolls ratshack hookup wires and 63/37 solder. So I am wondering if I can try something better. Might not be able to hear the difference, but still wanna try something new. What's your recommandation for some semi-audio grade hookup wires and solder at reasonable prices? Teflon hookup wire? 62/36/2 solder? Which brand?

Thanks,
Peter

May 12, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 40
I bought a roll of 22 awg Teflon insulated wire and I'm not very impressed with it. I got it to improve the looks of my amp's internal wiring and not for the "sound". The only advantage is that the insulation doesn't burn while soldering, but otherwise it's difficult to strip and about as stiff as solid core wire.

May 12, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 40
Honestly, if you are not content with normal "good quality" hookups and solder (unless using non-plated-throughh-hole boards), you need a component or topology change, not just different cable and solder.

Then again, I have no idea What "rolls ratshack" is. If you give specifics, it might not hurt a lot. No promises, some things hurt more than we realize.

May 12, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 40
I think "rolls ratshack" was supposed to be "ratshack rolls", and that meaning is obvious. I have the ratshack rolls myself. I started with their solid, and that was too stiff for this work, and the insulation turns liquid next to the soldering iron. Their flex is a little better, but not by much.

Next I tried the teflon insulation stuff (since Tangent recommended teflon) from Navships on ebay. It looks like good stuff - sort of. I haven't actually used it yet, but Tyre's comments seem right on from the looks of it - very stiff.

May 12, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 40
You won't hear the difference in a cmoy or some other cheap amp. But if you use crap wire in a more "high end" amp such as M3, ppa, dynahi, etc you might hear them. FOr me the best thing about SPC teflon wire is that it doesn't burn while soldering. Since I never did hookup wire "rolling" I on't know if it makes a diference.

manuel

May 12, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 40
22ga is a bit heavy IMHO... try 24. Get some good strippers (Ideal T-strippers, for example) and you won't have any problem stripping Teflon. Kester 63/37 is really all you need for solder. I know Cardas has its fans, as does Wonder Solder to an extent, but you don't really need it, and it is expensive as solder goes.

May 12, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 40
My apology on the typo up there, it should be "rolls of ratshack hookup wire and solder". The main problem with the wire is as stated above, too stiff, PVC too easy to melt. I built around 5 CMOY and a PIMETA, and I am going to start on a MH and something else in the summer. So I guess I can upgrade these accessories a bit.

Does 2% silver solder do me any good? For those who like the Cardas solder, what makes it stands out from Kester and/or Wonder?

Is there Teflon insulted stranded wire? I do have a T-striper, so I don't think I will have problem working with them, but again, is there other advantage, apart from harder to melt?

Thanks for the comment!
Peter

May 12, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpan188
For those who like the Cardas solder, what makes it stands out from Kester and/or Wonder?

Peter

I haven't used Wonder, but I like the Cardas solder quite a bit.
You don't have to have your iron cranked up super hot to use it, it flows & coats well, and cools with a nice shiny joint almost every time.

In other words, it's easy to work with and makes good joints.
TR

May 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Does 2% silver solder do me any good?

Not really, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Quote:

Is there Teflon insulted stranded wire? I do have a T-striper, so I don't think I will have problem working with them, but again, is there other advantage, apart from harder to melt?

Thanks for the comment!
Peter

Yes, there is stranded available (it is usually more common than solid). I personally use 24ga stranded Teflon SPC (silver plated copper). Some swear that solid sounds better... drop down to 24ga as 22ga would be rather stiff, particularly in solid. Cheap (ebay, apexjr, etc.) Teflon is so much better to work with that once you've used it, the thoughts of melting PVC won't have you going back there anytime soon.

May 14, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 40
2 thumbs up for Kester 44, it's just perfect for PCB work.

IMHO tin coated braided 24 gauge copper wire is the best for me - easy to fit, to flex and to solder. You can go silver if you want to pay top dollar, but don't go for non-coated "pure" copper.

May 14, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 40
Ok, I kinda wanna try the both the Cardas and Kester, since my friend wanna do the same too. So I probably will get 1 of each, but where to get them? I know that Take five and Apex Jr sell the Cardas, anywhere else? What about Kester 44?

For wires, I think I will go with decent priced Teflon SPC, but don't know if I should go for stranded or soild. 24 ga would be enough for now. Again, where to get them? How's the quality of those sold by navships on eBay?

Thanks,
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back