good rechargeable AA batteries?
Apr 26, 2004 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, after my recent purchase of a Sony D-NE300 pcdp, I am wondering if I should get some good ni-mh rechargeable AA's.

I picked up a Rayovac standard 14-hour charger which included 2 AA batteries, all for $9.99.

I checked out Thomas Distributing and came across a charger/battery combo of a MAHA 204GT charger with 4 iPower 2300 mAh AA's, for $27.97. I know that the iPowers will last longer per charge than the Rayovacs (which are probably 1300-1400 mAh, maybe 1600-1700, I'm not sure since it doesn't say on the batteries), but will the iPowers sound and different/better? I've heard people say that some rechargeable batteries sound better than others, but I've never used anything but alkaline, and I don't want to continue to pollute our environment with dead alkalines!

So would the MAHA/iPower combo be a great deal better than the Rayovac charger & batteries, or should I just stick with the Rayovac stuff, since it's only a $59 player I'm using it with?

thanks!
appar111

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 12
I would check out BatterySpace. I got a 24 pack of rechargeables there for a good deal, and now I use them in pretty much everything.

One thing about those fast chargers is that they produce a lot of heat in the batteries, which reduces their lifetime and how long they can hold there charge. You could always try to mod one though
biggrin.gif

I myself use a Rayovac 2hr charger, and have no complaints about it.

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 12
MAH is not everything and just looking at the numbers will not really tell you how long the battery will last you. I have some MAHA (Pawerex) 1800mAh that seem to outlast Powerizer 2000mAh. The powerizer also is a little bit longer then the normal size AA and in some cases causes a problem like in my Minolta dimage 7 where the battery compartment closes very tight with them. I just got some Nexcell 2200mAh on ebay and I'm quite happy with them and got a great deal. I use the Maha 401FS for the charger and I'm quite happy with it. I use it on the 'slow' ~5-hour setting and the batteries do not get hot at all.

As for the sound, not sure, never tested it and I did not hear any deference on my TotalAirhead.

Check out this great guide where they tested allot of batteries.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 12
You might hear a sonic difference between alkaline and NiMH batteries, but I truly doubt you'd hear any difference between particular brands of NiMH batteries (stranger things have happened tho, I s'pose...).

Apr 29, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 12
fewtch: Been there, done that. For example, over here I'd recommend Friwo 2000 mAh cells, so far, which sound a tad better than Fuji 1600 mAh cells and noticably better than AccuPower 1800 mAh cells. The Friwos have very low inner resistance, almost full claimed capacity and low shelf loss, too. Next try will be Conrad Energy 2000 mAh cells and 250 mAh 9V block. All of these are NiMH, btw.

For battery packs, Sony 700 mAh NiCad cells might be a viable option, too - these have ultra low inner resistance.

Greetins from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 29, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 12
the Rayovac IC 15 minute charger and batteries seem to be good. they charge fast ~15 mins and they aren't any weaker then regularly charged batteries, i tested them with high drain flashlights and they are either on par or beat sanyo cells which are some of the best out there.

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 12
You mean it's good on high drain devices like Flashlights? what about using it in a battery pack for a Cmoy?

good seein ya here ufo, didn't want to post in the for sale area. welcome.

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 12
They are actually meant for high-drain devices, and are worse than normal for low-drain (remote controls and such).

As far as using them in amps go, remember that 4 AA's are equal to a single 9v

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
fewtch: Been there, done that. For example, over here I'd recommend Friwo 2000 mAh cells, so far, which sound a tad better than Fuji 1600 mAh cells and noticably better than AccuPower 1800 mAh cells.
Greetins from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Ehh... this is almost going into "nut-o-phile" territory, to try and find the best sounding NiMH batteries
biggrin.gif
. More power to you, though (pun intended).

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 12
Battery University has the most accurate info on batteries available while it will not say that one brand is any better than another it gives complete overview of the Different chemistries of Rechargeable batteries and the recommended charge methods. The info on the site is in conflict with what some people believe is true about Batteries. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

The Great battery shootout page has been updated and a link provided to the first artical. http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1015095244.html

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 12
I got a couple groups of batteries off of eBay for cheap. As to chargers, I use a Maha charger that has four independent charge circuits, and find that it works the best. With a two charger circuit you often end up with one battery over-charged, and one under-charged. I watch the charger and almost every single time I pop in a pair of batteries one ends before the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back