Good quality/audiophile-level 1/8 inch (mini/3.55m) to 1/4 inch adapter?
Nov 11, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

internethandle

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a cable from Larry over at Headphile, which is great, but I bought a Little Dot MK III after I ordered the cable. My old amp had a 3.55m (1/8 inch) input, so I ordered an 1/8 inch termination from Larry. As you can imagine, that presents a problem for the Little Dot's 1/4 inch input, so for the time being I've been using a Radio Shack "gold-plated" adapter similar to this one:

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/32533_p.jpg

Unlike many 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapters, this one doesn't seem to put much, if any, stress on the Little Dot's headphone input itself, so I'm not so worried about that, but more SQ/the quality of the connection.

Anyway, I asked Larry about it, and he says the only high quality ones he knows of are ones he uses, which cost about 3/4 as much as the cable I ordered (which was $100.00 - a bargain, really, so I'm guessing $80.00 or so for the adapter). He says I may just be better off selling my current cable and re-ordering from him with a 1/4 inch termination instead, if I care enough to do so.

Anyway, what do you all think? Is the Radio Shack adapter probably pretty adequate, and I shouldn't worry about it, or does it make enough of a difference in SQ to get a better adapter? If the latter is the case, anyone know of a good quality adapter out there that costs $50.00 or less? The Radio Shack one cost around 8 bucks, for reference.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IAnyway, what do you all think? Is the Radio Shack adapter probably pretty adequate, and I shouldn't worry about it,

Yes

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Yes, the adapter is solid metal, you can't get a shorter signal path than that. I've never seen an exotic version of this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back