Good portable DAC/AMP for mixing on the go?
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hmohammed43

Head-Fier
Hello all.

I’m going to be getting some new home stuff later this year, but I’m looking to get a decent portable DAC/AMP for mixing and mastering music with my laptop on my lunch breaks at work, and to help drive my headphones at home until I upgrade my interface. I’d be using it with my Sennheiser HD6XXs, M50x, Moondrop SSR and Starfiel. I’m planning on switching the M50x for a DT 770 Pro set as well. A bonus is being able to use it with my iPhone and iPad to listen to my stuff on commutes if I wanted to.

I’ve narrowed it down to a few:

- Chord Mojo - Seems like this should have a pretty neutral sound from reviews, and there are a few used ones about that aren’t too expensive. I’m mildly worried by the reports of it running warm, and using it with IEMs as well as my headphones. Should also be cool for general listening.

- iFI xDSD - I like that I can hook it up with bluetooth to my phone while I’m out to get more enjoyment from my in-ears. I’m not sure how the SQ would compare to the Mojo

- iFI hip-dac - Small and cheaper, but if the Mojo/xDSD would be noticeably better I’d go for those. I’d be worried about how well it pairs with the Sennheisers as well.

- Fiio BTR5 - Tiny and portable with a mic for use with my phone, and still seems to have good performance for my computer. I’m not sure how it would play with the HD6XXs if I choose to stick with an unbalanced cable, however.

I’ve also had brief looks at the D1 and Dragonfly Red, but I thought these three are probably better options than those two.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 14
BTR5 is a good portable option. I think BGGAR was able to drive Sennheiser HD6xx via BTR5. Don't remember if it was unbalanced or balanced. Unbalanced with High gain should do the trick IMO

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 14
Topping NX4 perhaps? I have one in transit so can't comment personally but it has good reviews, measures well, in your price range and has power to drive all those.

Qudelix 5k or Radsone ES100 both with bluetooth but neither are going to push higher resistance hardware very well, even the Q5K. Also, the Q5S Type C but impossible to find. The Q5S with micro usb can still be found if you look and has more power than the TC THX module.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 14
I vote for Chord Mojo. :v:

If you are interested, take a look at this comment: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1247#post-12653036

There is explained why the others cannot be with better sound quality. Upgrade is Chord Hugo 2 from this on.

xDSD should be good as well.

Hip Dac is good as well, though it will be better if you have balanced cables for this. HD6xx i am not sure it will do well, M50x is not hard to drive, and the IEMs are not hard as well.

This Fiio, i am conserned about the power output. Same for the Dragonflies.

DT770, which version you are planning to get, 32-80-250 ohms ? It is better headphone than M50x, and it is more comfortable. M50x is extremely good for listening at high volume levels. Takes a lot of power without distortion in the sound. Otherwise the treble is better on the DT770 and will give better details. It also has strong bass.

Overall strongly advice going for Mojo. Well, this is my advice at least.

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 14
yeah, which 770? I have the 250 ohm and love it on the only serious damp I have, a CD5. Many people like the 80 ohm version better because of sound and the lower impedance. I want to get one but feel like it's redundant. Also, the iFi hip dac drinks up battery like nobody's business even when not using it. I had to skip it though I was seriously interested.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 14
DT770, which version you are planning to get, 32-80-250 ohms ? It is better headphone than M50x, and it is more comfortable. M50x is extremely good for listening at high volume levels. Takes a lot of power without distortion in the sound. Otherwise the treble is better on the DT770 and will give better details. It also has strong bass.

Overall strongly advice going for Mojo. Well, this is my advice at least.
Thanks for the advice! In terms of the DT770, I’d be thinking between the 80 or 250 ohm version - more likely the 250 if it can be driven as I’d assume they’d be more accurate.
Chord Mojo, hands down.

As a side question, I’ve also had a look at the Q5s type C - I’m guessing the Mojo is still gonna be the best option, but would a Q5s still be very good? Most comparisons I’ve seen to the xDSD say it has a lower noise floor and I don’t really need the MQA support, but the convenience of Bluetooth might be cool for use with my phone.

Although at the same time I could just get a Mojo and a BTR5

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the advice! In terms of the DT770, I’d be thinking between the 80 or 250 ohm version - more likely the 250 if it can be driven as I’d assume they’d be more accurate.
Have you decided about this already ? You have read enough information and came to conclusion that you want these headphones (i apologies if this sounds harsh, just asking). Because.....if you read more about it, or see a frequency response graph:

KnkFBPJ_d.webp

You'll see there is +4-5db on the bass there. And same for the 9000-10 000hz region on the right. What i mean with this is, its great headphone, proven model with the time, amazing 'alive' and dynamic sound with good bass and treble with a lot of details, great for a lot of types music. Comfortable with possibility to replace pads and headband. But i wouldn't call this suitable for mastering.

The Sennheiser HD6xxx might be better for this.

I recommend you take a look at AKG K712Pro. Or AKG K612Pro (this is cheaper than DT770 as far as i know, and the 712 is more, but depends on what store is in i guess).

10008927.png

On this graph you might say, well the K712 has even more treble, why you think the DT770 is not better. Well, the AKGs i mentioned above are open back headphones, although looks like it has more treble than the DT770 on the graph, in reallity is not.

Of course, DT770 is great headphone. If you decide to go for it, its great headphone. As for which ohm version, i would say depends on your amplifier here. From these above at the beginning of the topic, if you decide for Mojo, then i guess the 250ohm version will be OK. For all the other dac/amps the 80ohm would be the better choice. 80ohm one is still not good to use with phones or tablets, keep in mind. I have the 80ohm version and it works great with Mojo. Can't say for the 250, but looking at what volume levels i am using, its going to be fine with the 250. Mojo this, the others here i am not sure and really concerned.

Just trying to be helpful and give good advice. Completely fine if someone does not agree with my opinion.

For the Q5s, i would advice....look at it if you need the Bluetooth. It supports all main Bluetooth codecs. It has great dual DAC system and sounds really good when used only as a DAC. Very good line out it has. So...you need separate only amplifier to use with it. The amplifier module that comes with it has single ended and balanced outputs. You need to use the balanced output (it has very low power output from the single ended output), and so you need balanced cables for the headphones (the AKG do not have balanced cable i think, or the stock cable of DT770 is also not balanced one, so....yeah, the Fiio without separated AMP wouldn't be the best choice for any of these. The Sennheiser might have balanced cable though, i have not read about it however and do not know). The single ended will be OK for IEMs and something like M50x. I don't believe it will be good for the DT770 250 ohm or the Sennheisers. For the AKG s won't be great as well.

Also, if interested, take a look at this review. Here are exactly these: Mojo, Q5s xDSD compared.

Happy listening to your music :).

PS: you could take a look Focal Listen Pro or Focal Spirit Pro, these are actually with better sound quality than all other mentioned here. They have not the best build quality though, and the pads are small and not very comfortable. The Listen pro is more comfortable than Spirit Pro. But these are amazing sound quality, probably best for up to 350-400. Only thing, not comfortable. You could take a look though and decide for yourself. They are 32 ohms and overall can be used with anything. Absolutely neutral sound in reallity.

Focal_SpiritProClassic_Graph_Professional.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Have you decided about this already ? You have read enough information and came to conclusion that you want these headphones (i apologies if this sounds harsh, just asking). Because.....if you read more about it [...]
You'll see there is +4-5db on the bass there. And same for the 9000-10 000hz region on the right. What i mean with this is, its great headphone, proven model with the time, amazing 'alive' and dynamic sound with good bass and treble with a lot of details, great for a lot of types music. Comfortable with possibility to replace pads and headband. But i wouldn't call this suitable for mastering.

The Sennheiser HD6xxx might be better for this.
Thanks for the info! Also, you definitely didn’t sound harsh, just honest - I appreciate it :D

Yeah, I kinda decided on the DT770s specifically because they’re closed and comfy compared to my ATH-M50xs - I would rarely bring my HD6XXs with me as they’re open backed and I don’t have a quiet place at work or on the go to regularly use them. The Listen Pros might be quite good to look at though - closed with a good flat response (I’d rarely use them for fun listening, I have a custom Fostex for that).

I’ll definitely give a look up the Focal Pros and maybe think of those vs the DT770s for my usage - also, thanks for the video! I’ll give it a watch.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the info! Also, you definitely didn’t sound harsh, just honest - I appreciate it :D
Ok, i am happy to be helpful then.

The Listen Pros might be quite good to look at though - closed with a good flat response (I’d rarely use them for fun listening, I have a custom Fostex for that).
Spirit Pro is more neutral and i would say the better sound quality of the two. But its just not comfortable and from this point view i can't recommend it.

Listen Pro has similar sound quality, is more easy to drive and the pads are more comfortable. It has more sub-bass than Spirit Pro, other than that the two are very similar. Very clean sound, response through all areas - bass, mids, treble. The Listen Pro is the successor of the Spirit Pro actually. Both do not have replacable pads however, so.....you have to do something yourself if you feel like the pads are not to your liking. Listen Pro you can use for editing and listening as well. Is fun both ways. They do come in good 'case', so you can transport them inside. Not very practical and uses a lot of space though. But its there if you need.

DT770 is good allrounder. Sound quality is good, its sturdy, its comfortable. Focals have for sure better sound quality and easier to drive (these two, they are also closed back), but thats it.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I think I know what I’m gonna do now - Chord Mojo (maybe used) for my computer, and either looking for a good deal on a Poly or getting a BTR5 for IEM only use for something smaller and easier

Once I get my hands on one I’ll let you know how it goes :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 14
if you're looking at the BTR5 check out the ES100 with AKM and the Qudelix 5k with ESS. if you buy used Chord Mojo there was a recent thread asking where to find replacement batteries. Might want to check that out too. Easy swap iirc.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 14
and the Qudelix 5k with ESS.
Right. Was this the one that has parametric equalizer ?

a BTR5 for IEM only use for something smaller and easier
And because of that (the parametric eq) i think Qudelix might be better choice than BTR5.

For Mojo, if it has between 6-7 hours battery life the battery is still OK. It has 8h and 20-30 min as new, for reference.

If it has 5 hours might be better to change it. There are no good batteries available in Europe as far as i know. They are in US or Canada was i think. It is about 40-50 dollars. They are like the original battery.

Another option might be sending it to Chord and they can replace it. I am not sure how valuable it is, this is good option for people in the UK. But from elsewhere they probably need you to send your Mojo and then they replace the battery and send it back. Because there is something with the post there, they don't allow to send battery (as only the battery) on its own, have to be in a device. And this will probably be more than 100 dollars the whole thing. Best ask Chord of course, but thats how likely it is.

Third option is chinese battery, i tried it 3 weeks ago. It is 20-25 dollars with the delivery and it works. Battery life is 5 hours though. So if find Mojo with 6 h, its still good. Problem is below that there is some kind of voltage drop of the battery (already bad health) and it might hit Mojo s performance. So if the original battery is getting below 6 hours, for this reason might be good idea to change it even when with something like the chinese one you get only 5 hours, there will be no performance difference (will be like new) as battery health will be OK. At least i have not noticed strange things.

Or if the original battery is swollen, then best change it regardless of what battery life there is, it is dangerous to use a device with swollen bat.

Once I get my hands on one I’ll let you know how it goes :)
Ok. Would be interesting to see what you decided.:)

PS: i saw you wrote using Mojo desktop. There are people that removed the battery and used it so without battery (you need 1.5-2A 5V charger, like for a smartphone but not the newest ones for fast charging) and they say it works fine. But Mojo's designer mister Rob Watts says it does not work at full potential so. Have to have battery in. So....yeah, thats it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back