Good portable amp for Senn Momentums
May 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone—

I'm really enjoying my Momentum—what a great sealed phone!—and while I enjoy the clear sound of the JDS Labs C421 (OPA2227), I'm finding that the sound is steelier than I'd like. Also, there is a lot of grain. 

Can someone recommend a resolving yet warmer sounding portable amp, hopefully with a less grainy sound? I'm willing to spend more, and love tubes, but I've heard the ALO Continental isn't a great match with the ultra-low impedance, 18 ohm Momentum. Would love to hear from those who've actually listened to the combos.

Thanks,
Alex

May 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, the AK120 is a different beast altogether, and out of my range. And I did try the Fiio and agree with your impressions. How about something in between the two?

May 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 8
i think the new jds labs c5 will be good for you, i also own momentum and paired it with c5
i'm more than happy right now the c5 give the perfect bass boost for momentum and also made it sounds much better overall

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Do you really notice a diff using a seperate amp/dac for the senn's?  at 18Ω the built in amp would be sufficient.  maybe if your dac/amp were crappy then i'd understand.  i've got the momentums and paired with my iphone 5, it sounds great.  i started with the creative labs aurvana live, and def the senn is cleaner.  not sure if its 4x in cost better, but def nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back