Good Portable $50 Headphones?
Nov 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:
IEM's can sound better for $20 then any headphone, they can sound better for $70-90 as well. As far as price to performance goes below $100 IEM's are hard to beat. It is an Apples to Oranges comparison though.

I'd suggest you get Sennhieser HD428's if your absolutely set on fullsized headphones. They are little bigger but from my experience they are amazingly comfortable and they sound great.

X2
wink.gif

Just know that the HD428 has been given away, a recabled one stayed and my portable headphone for now is the Sennheiser PX200 II.

Even so, the HD428 sounds better than it looks and costs. Codecs for music matter for the HD428 has thing for sources and the bass is very tight and defined. For the electronic types of music with heavy bass the HD428 sounds as if without impact (bass light) while the HD428 actually defines the lower notes quite precisely. For Trance-related music you will be able to pick out layers in the music. I used the HD428 for pretty much everything I wanted to listen to, including bass heavy music and I liked it. From Jazz to Metal, it was a better allrounder than I expected.

I use the PX200 II because it sounds a bit more pleasant (less source dependent!) and for portable use I find it almost perfect... If you want full size on a budget, the HD428 is a good option.  

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 40
Hi,

If you don't want IEMs and need your headphones to be foldable, maybe the Sennheiser PX 200-II are worth a try?

edit: (( Ignore this, someone has already suggested them ))

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 40
I have the Brainwavz M2 (aka Visang R03) and I highly recommend them. The M1 and the M3 are also good options depending on how much you want to spend. Mp4nation.net has holiday deals throughout the month so if you do decide to get one of them, wait until they go on sale!
Here's a good resource for IEM's but don't rely on it too much:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-121-iems-compared-hifiman-re262-added-11-25

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 40
Eh... I really like the Sennheiser PX 200 IIs, and I think I will get them... they fold really nicely, light, and supposedly great SQ.

But... I saw something called the Sennheiser PX 200W... what's that? It's a lot cheaper, but looks the same... 

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 40
Just get the PX200 II if the information on the PX200 W? is unclear. If there is one decent headphone I can recommend to anyone it is the PX200 II. I find it more that decent anyway...

If you can audition one, try to do that first. Just for the fun of it you can get a cheap PX100 since the prices are going down and it could be worth a gamble. 

If you can, always try to audition first...

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #26 of 40
PX200W might be the previous (and definitely inferior) model in white. If you do decide to go for the 200-II make sure you get PX200-II and NOT the old PX200, even if they are cheaper.

The PX100 are also foldable and sound fairly nice, but they are open and allow a lot of sound to leak in and out.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 40
If you like a more balanced presentation of you music in a smaller size, say PX200 II cool. Either way I would recommend it, after a light burn in - my experience - it is as good as it gets. 

Do not expect gobs of bass, although it has considerably more bass impact than a stock HD428. Other than that I would say good luck and I hope you like the sound...

Cyber monday? They are a bit on the pricey side, that is true...

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
If you like a more balanced presentation of you music in a smaller size, say PX200 II cool. Either way I would recommend it, after a light burn in - my experience - it is as good as it gets. 

Do not expect gobs of bass, although it has considerably more bass impact than a stock HD428. Other than that I would say good luck and I hope you like the sound...

Cyber monday? They are a bit on the pricey side, that is true...

For being abass light headphone I really did enjoy my use of them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back