good pcdp to go with HD-600 and Porta Corda
Jun 16, 2002 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

swong1

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophiles!
smily_headphones1.gif

First off, a bit of boring history. A few years ago, based on the advice from the good people of this forum , I took the first step into the audiophile world. My set up wasn't Earth shattering, but the Panasonic SL-SX510 + Grado SR60 revealed a whole new world of listening pleasure that was hitherto alien to me.
eek.gif
If I may use a visual analogy, it was a bit like seeing Michelangelo's frescoes revealed for the first time. Then I went to a Bose store and heard their home theather demonstration. The sound was so live-like and full of emotion, it almost drove me to tears. My apetite was whetted. There is no turning back.

Two months ago, my house was burglarised and all my electronic equipments were stolen.
frown.gif
Well, at least now I have a good excuse to splurge to get to the next level. I am thinking of buying the Sennheiser HD-600/Ety ER-4P and Porta Corda.
I know the ER-4P does not really need an amp, but I read that it can be converted into 4S by attaching a cable (with proper resistence) and the 4S does need an amp to really sound good.

After researching this forum, I have come to the conclusion that all the best pcdps are discontinued (Sony D-555, D-777, D-E900/905). What other models do you recommend that will compliment these ear/headphones? How would you rank them? Do I need other equipment or special cables?

Thanks for all your input.

Jun 16, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Do a search on Panasonic SL-CT570. You'll need what's called a mini-mini cable. It just means the two plugs at the ends are stereo (or some say balanced) 3.5mm "mini" plugs. You can get one from RadioShack or from headphone.com called Straightwire. A better one is probably one from markertek.com, and even better kimber one from headphone.com or order a shielded one from boldercables.com.

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 11
ya if using phones out on the pcdp i think the pana 570 would be the choice if you can find one.

However, since he's considering a porta corda, i think it more relies on the line out quality. Then he can start considering the pana570, sony 725, 925, 1000, etc.

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi Audio&Me and jlo mein,

Thanks for your recommendations. I have heard good reviews on Panasonic SL-CT570. I was hoping the newer and sleeker ones may at least be as good. I will probably use the headphone jack for the Ety 4P and the output jack for HD600 and Ety 4S. One thing that concerns me though, the impedence of HD600 is a whopping 300 Ohm. By comparison, the Grado SR60 that I had was only 32 Ohm. Does the Porta Corda have enough juice to drive it? Do I need to match the output impedence of the amp to the impedence of the headphone?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi Audio&Me and jlo mein,

Thanks for your recommendations. I have heard good reviews on Panasonic SL-CT570. I was hoping the newer and sleeker ones may at least be as good. I will probably use the headphone jack for the Ety 4P on the move and the output jack for HD600 and Ety 4S at home. One thing that concerns me though, the impedence of HD600 is a whopping 300 Ohm. By comparison, the Grado SR60 that I had was only 32 Ohm. Does the Porta Corda have enough juice to drive it? Do I need to match the output impedence of the amp to the impedence of the headphone?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want to get the most out of a PC especially with those cans, I would feed that thing all the voltage you can afford! I use 3 9V batteries in series for portable use and I would highly recommend getting a good linear regulated 28V wall wart for stationary use.

You would simply be amazed at how much that amp wakes-up by adding voltage!

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 11
The PortaCorda is recommended to be fed a maximum of 28V I think...

Since you are getting a portable amp you might as well get a sony pcdp that is smaller and has a better lin-out. Such a player paired with the PortaCorda would give you alot better sound than the 570 paired with the phones you've mentioned. The portacorda is small and has a battery compartment. Carrying it around when you are going portable with your system will probably be a no-brainer compromise for you, considering the sound improvement.

I don't know anything cus I only own the sony 925, not the portacorda, not those headphones. What I've said I just know from being a member of head-fi. Geesh, I begin to believe audio stuff is filling up too much space in my brain..
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Flasken, Hi adrzejpw,

Thanks for your posts. I was leaning towards the sony d-ej925. Sorry adrzejpw. Thanks for your offer. I'll be flying to Asia next week. Thought I'd try my luck there first; as the Asian models are generally better. Just ordered the HD600 and Porta Corda from Jan Meier, great guy.
Very friendly and responsive.

Okay, after taking so much from you guys, here's my contribution to this forum: here's a place I've found where they still sell the pana ct570. Don't know whether they have any stock left or not. Their price is $87. I bought my first pcdp , a pana sx510 there. Happy hunting!

http://www.netmarket.com/SHP/scripts...ers&side_bar=n

Users who are viewing this thread

Back