good ol' er-6 questions
Sep 24, 2002 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aznhoward

Head-Fier
1. How much better are the er-6's than the mx500s in terms of sound?

2. Are there any cord microphonics on the er-6 or is it not very noticeable?

3. I think i need a pair of these for school, and I chose it over the mx500s because of the bus and the cafeteria where you sit in to wait until class starts (about 40 minutes total, bus gets there early) But if my friends want to talk to me and I take the phones off, is it easy to get back on?

4. And if I keep taking it on and off, it wont wear the phones off right?

5. What's the maintenance of the ER-6's like?

Thanks

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 9
1. I've only listened very briefly to the MX500s, but from what I could gather they really play in a different league. Of course this is to be expected given the price difference, the 500s are good for the money but cannot compete with 'buds costing $100+ more.

2. There are definitely cord microphonics, although how noticable they are depends on how you use the phones. When I put my cdp in the inner pocket of my jacket and run the cord inside the jacket up to my head I don't notice any microphonics while walking. However, if I carry the cdp in my hand and let the cord dangle free I can hear microphonics. Not too bad, but definitely noticable when the cord swings around and hits things.

3. With a little practice they're very easy to put on (in). I can do it in less than 5 seconds per ear.

4. It won't wear them out.

5. No real maintenance to speak of, you may have to change the tips every few months, but that's a two minute job at the most.

Of course, these are just my experiences, but I used the ER6s from last christmas until last week almost daily, so at least I've put in a lot of hours.

Sep 24, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply

5) What about the filters? How long do I have to change them, and what exactly are they for?

A few more questions popped up in my head though...

How is the bass without amp? Is it good enough? (comparable to ksc35s?)

And what would happen if you tug on the cable (to the extent the earphones fall out of the ear)? Would the cable like come off since the er-6 is deep inside the ear? I'm afraid that at school, a "not-so-smart" friend might mistaken it for an earbud, and come from behind and take it out of my ear 'cause they want to listen...

(although if they do manage to take it out without breaking them, i would immediately tell them 'no you cannot listen because I don't want any transfer of earwax or anything")
redface.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 9
I own ER-6.

Maintenance:
1) You have to change the filter every so often. The best way to know when to change the filter is when they look dirty or the sound becomes strangely muddy or distortive. The frequency of replacement depends on how much ear wax you have, how often you clean your ears, and what type of environment you store them in. Storing them in your pocket without a case is a bad idea cause lint and dirt can contaminate the filter. Operating without the filter changes the acoustic properties and any dirt getting inside may damage the driver.

2) The tips needs replacing every so often and I just replace them when they lose their resilence and the seal is not tight.

Amp:
1) I use a CHA-47 headphone amp with them because they are kinda hard to drive from a portable device. I hear deeper frequency bass and the treble is smoother. The ER-6 will produce low bass, but it won't create the visceral impact with the bass (rumbling). If you want physical impact, the ER-6 is not for you.

Taking them out:
Takes a lot of practice putting them and taking them out. If your friend yanks the wires, he can potentially tear the wire off the ear phones. Since they require a funny pressure seal for proper listening, a quick decompression with a swift removal can cause discomfort. Its like wearing earplugs and trying to yank them out instantly, but not as severe.

Sep 25, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Then I guess I'll get the MX500s. I wouldn't want to risk getting something that expensive stolen/broken. (Same reason why I'm not going for the iPod, but rather the IMP-400 SlimX)

The MX500s are still decent right?

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by aznhoward
[...]

4. And if I keep taking it on and off, it wont wear the phones off right?

[...]
Thanks

You won't wear the phone off, but if you plan to use it in a situation (e.g., an office) where you have to take your phones on and off all the time, the ER-6 may not be the most practical / comfortable solution. They were definitely not made for that. [Whereas the Grados are excellent for that, IMO, because of the (otherwise awful) swivel design, the earpiece rests flat against your chest when you have them hanging around your neck]

Sep 25, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by aznhoward
Then I guess I'll get the MX500s. I wouldn't want to risk getting something that expensive stolen/broken. (Same reason why I'm not going for the iPod, but rather the IMP-400 SlimX)

The MX500s are still decent right?

of course, the mx500s are awesome little buds for the price!

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 9
What about the MDR-EX70LP? How is it compared to the mx500s?

I've heard that they have "boomy bass," but I can't really visualize what that means. Does the boomy bass sound like the KSC-35s? If not, then are they at least suitable for dance/trance music (lots of bass)?

Thanks again

EDIT: BTW, am i right in saying tht you can take off the rubber tips and wash it with water?

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi,

EX-70 "boom" s if the low frequencies are overly emphasized which sometimes makes it hard to hear the details of my music. It can give you a bass kick like other normal headphones can do. After I burned in my EX-70, the bass was way out of control in my opinion. I tried modding them, but the left channel lost its sensitivity.

I never owned the MX500s, so I can't compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back