Good Office Headphone
May 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Valaire

New Head-Fier
I decided to get a pair of decent headphones for office work.  I use HD598's at home and enjoy them, although I do get some clamping pain unlike most people.

Here's what I need:

1.  Closed
2.  A respectable amount of sound leakage (co-workers are about 15 feet from me through a partition)
3.  Some isolation would be nice (my co-worker loves to chat on the phone all day) but don't need something specifically designed to block out sound
4.  I listen to rock, alt rock, pop, classical, and musicals.  I am not very sophisticated in my music tastes other than I don't care for excessive uncontrolled bass (which puts me in the minority), and to me vocals and midrange are most important.
5.  Comfortable to wear for a VERY long time (I work between 10-12 hours a day), so hopefully no clamping pressure over time, reduced sweaty ear syndrome, and no listener fatigue
6.  Budget is flexible, was looking at the M50's at $120 as a baseline, but fine with spending more: ~$150
7.  Do not need to be portable; will not leave the office
8.  Sources are internet radio on work desktop and iphone; could expand later to a portable amp if necessary but prefer not

I looked at the ATH-M50's but I was concerned they were either not a good value anymore (some people peg them as out-dated in today's market but I'm having trouble finding out what the trend is for closed headphones with this usage in mind now), or are too bass heavy.  Thank you for the advice!  I don't really have the time or desire to go try a bunch of headphones so I'm just gonna order whichever one you guys think is best from Amazon and hope for the best.

May 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 7
ATH-A900X

May 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello!

If you like HD598, you will not line ATH-M50s! It's a downgrade and sound sig is quite different from one another. If you like HD598, then I am assuming me and you have some similar taste and same goes to the genre of musics.

For that, I like MDR-7506 for your music genre. If you like HD598, you should too love these. Not sure about the clamping force although I have no such issue with that neither do I have it on HD598. Really, HD598 is one of the most comfortable headphone I have ever, came across.

Hope it helps!
Billson :D

May 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 7
It does sound like the ATH-A900X are a complete upgrade to the M50's for my usage in terms of sound but a lot of people said they are uncomfortable.  I've never used one of the wing system phones before.

May 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hello!

If you like HD598, you will not line ATH-M50s! It's a downgrade and sound sig is quite different from one another. If you like HD598, then I am assuming me and you have some similar taste and same goes to the genre of musics.

For that, I like MDR-7506 for your music genre. If you like HD598, you should too love these. Not sure about the clamping force although I have no such issue with that neither do I have it on HD598. Really, HD598 is one of the most comfortable headphone I have ever, came across.

Hope it helps!
Billson
biggrin.gif

Thanks, I will look those up.  I have no problems with the HD598 sound but I think I am weird because I do have problems wearing them over long periods of time even though I can acknowledge they are considered one of the, if not the most, comfortable headphones ever.  I think my head is very "average shaped," but I do seem to be sensitive to wearing them for an hour or more.

May 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 7
most comfortable headphones ever are sony MDR-1R.  i would gladly wear them without even listening to music  :)    They arent my taste for sound though.  I like a lot more bass.  

i suppose id also vote for A900X, they were just on sale for $128, hard to beat that price.  

May 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Ultrasone Pro550. Nice instrument separation, good soundstage and clear bass (not overpowering)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back