Good Noise Canceling Headphones???
Jun 2, 2004 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mi1stormilst

New Head-Fier
Okay I am looking to grab some very nice noise canceling headphones that don't exceed my $150.00 budget. I have looked around and darn those Grado SR60's sound nice but open air is not conducive to gaming. I am sorry if this is an anti-audiophile or noobish question. Are the sennheiser and grados sound quality worth loosing total immersion?

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 26
Sonics-wise, the only active noise cancelling headphone that's even worth considering for under $150 is the Sennheiser PXC250. None of the other active noise-cancelling headphones that are in your price range are worth even $20 in terms of sound quality. And no active noise-cancelling headphone can provide "total immersion" - not even close. They can only block out the lower midrange sounds (such as the rumble of a bus engine, airplane noise or train rolling) at best, so that you can still hear babies crying very clearly.

IME, the only types of headphones that come anywhere close to providing "total immersion" are the in-ear noise-blocking canalphones. In your under $150 price range, there are two that are worthwhile: the Etymotic ER-6 (about $120) and the Shure E2c (under $100).

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Sonics-wise, the only active noise cancelling headphone that's even worth considering for under $150 is the Sennheiser PXC250. None of the other active noise-cancelling headphones that are in your price range are worth even $20 in terms of sound quality. And no active noise-cancelling headphone can provide "total immersion" - not even close. They can only block out the lower midrange sounds (such as the rumble of a bus engine, airplane noise or train rolling) at best, so that you can still hear babies crying very clearly.

IME, the only types of headphones that come anywhere close to providing "total immersion" are the in-ear noise-blocking canalphones. In your under $150 price range, there are two that are worthwhile: the Etymotic ER-6 (about $120) and the Shure E2c (under $100).

I really can't stand in ear buds )-: and I am really set on over the ear cans... What would you recommend in terms of a good quality cans for $150.00?

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
are you asking for any closed phones in the $150 range now?

Honestly I am looking for the best headphones I can buy for $150.00, I would prefer something that blocks out noise a little...but I am open to suggestions.

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 26
I owned the PXC250, and I didn't like them at all. I really don't think they isolate all that much outside noise. Although they sounded nice.

Sony DJ700V, large earcups, very comfortable, isolates outside noise well. Although people question abou their sound quality, I would say for on the go headphones, nothing can beat this one.

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
I owned the PXC250, and I didn't like them at all. I really don't think they isolate all that much outside noise. Although they sounded nice.

They actively cancel low-frequency noise (e.g. airplane rumble) very effectively. They do NOT offer particularly great isolation from higher frequencies (e.g. human voices). If you switch off and on the cancellation when you're on an airplane, the difference in background thrum is QUITE large.

However, I don't think what the poster really wants is, in fact, active noise cancellation, but just good isolation--i.e., a closed can.

Senn HD280s offer quite good isolation and are well under the price point, some dislike their weight/compression.

Might be able to find Beyer DT250-80s or AKG K271s or Ultrasone HIFI-550s for around $150. All of those are closed cans, which will offer some degree of isolation.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
They actively cancel low-frequency noise (e.g. airplane rumble) very effectively. They do NOT offer particularly great isolation from higher frequencies (e.g. human voices). If you switch off and on the cancellation when you're on an airplane, the difference in background thrum is QUITE large.

I wore the PXC250 in a lab where there are tons of lab equipment making unbearable amounts of hum, just like on an airplane. Didn't notice that much difference.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi1stormilst
So I gather that the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are good for closed cans? But the Grado's would produce better sound quality? Or should go with Beyerdynamic DT 250-80.

not necessarily, it is really up to your personal preference. What are you looking for. Portable? Big Bass? Analytical?

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 26
The grados are more for rock, and alot of people find them unbareably uncomfortable. The Senns are good for classical and Jazz and would offer a ton of isolation. If your willing to shell out another $50 the ATH-A900's seem to please almost everyone. encluding myself.

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnrgi
The grados are more for rock, and alot of people find them unbareably uncomfortable. The Senns are good for classical and Jazz and would offer a ton of isolation. If your willing to shell out another $50 the ATH-A900's seem to please almost everyone. encluding myself.

I like rock too (-: I don't see the ATH-A900 listed on this site )-:

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 26
i think the a900 is for you. They offer reasonable isolation, are very clean and crisp,(for the price) and have a very even spectrum of sound.

Most closed headphones tend to have one glaring flaw that, if not your cup of tea, can ruin the whole experience. The a900s tend to be the most suggested headphones on this site, mainly because they have an overall even sound doing nothing wrong, but nothing great. I own a pair myself that still see use despite the $1400 phone sitting right next to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back