good news for scull-candy haters
Oct 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 30
Saw a pair of HD448 last night. The girl, I saw last year - for just a split second. I was pleasantly surprised by the spectacle. Maybe she thought the retro-style worked with her outfit that day IDK. But that says something about her listening taste! Should have snapped a photo.

Sam

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
Saw a pair of HD448 last night. The girl, I saw last year - for just a split second. I was pleasantly surprised by the spectacle. Maybe she thought the retro-style worked with her outfit that day IDK. But that says something about her listening taste! Should have snapped a photo.

Sam

Or you could be like this other member here who had a thread about how he invited some girl over to his place to check out his headphone setup. That was pretty pimp.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 30
All the girls I work with wear those ugly in-ear joints with their Ipods or cellphones. With the exception of two co-workers and myself, everyone brags on their garbage sounding headphones. I have XD200's and they get jealous of how those sound. I don't like them, buit they are tolerable...for now. V6's are on the way though

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #20 of 30
This is kinda me ripping on my college, but I'm sure you'll understand:

There was some kid showing off his gold plasticky Skullcandy headphones to his friends in my college and going around thinking he looked cool in them or something. (This same guy was interrupting me and screwing with my presentation).
I really should've shown them my rockboxed iPod 5.5G/iBasso P3+/HD650 combo to see their reaction.

Seeing as they used (dual booting OS X/Windows XP) Macs for the audio lesson computers, you'd think they could do better than onboard sound and HD201s with the budget they had.
The result was clipped/glitched previews of tracks I tried to make, that sometimes sounded totally different when exported.
1 in 3 of the computers either didn't work properly for various reasons or had stuff missing from the samples library making finding a working computer like a lucky dip.

Somehow a network game on the computers used for 3d design etc which had dual graphics cards and dual core cpus got ~15fps on standard settings when we tried to set up a lan multiplayer COD4 game.

I'm not going back to this college which I will not name.

Still it makes my day when I see some randomer going around enjoying some decent headphones, I saw two people with SE530s in my town (on the train and at a gym).

PX100/200s seem to be becoming more popular though.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 30
Actually, I think that among the most reputable headphone manufacturers out there, sony and sennheiser have the most marketing applied and most quantity of distribution to retail stores
(ex. bestbuy) 

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 30
In my travels to Europe I saw a lot of senn advertising and many people using their phones. (non-audiophile series mostly - Before HD555 etc.) I think they are a well marketed brand over there. I have yet to hear a peep from sennheiser in my daily life and my best buy does NOT sell them. The closest thing they have are porta-pros which I actually do like.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #23 of 30
Skullcandy seems to be less popular here nowadays, but now everyone is buying those flashy WESC things, bah.
Sony, Bose and Sennheiser are popular with those who don't like the fashion stuff, but they're using the basic models
I've only once saw someone wearing Porta pros and the AKGs I use myself

As long as I can't hear what they are listening to on the train I don't really care. Unfortunately lots of people think loud is good, and they're using cheep earplugs where the most sound goes out of their ears...

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 30
Actually, I think the sound leak you hear is due to a resonance chamber in the listeners' skull, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
As long as I can't hear what they are listening to on the train I don't really care. Unfortunately lots of people think loud is good, and they're using cheep earplugs where the most sound goes out of their ears...

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #27 of 30
yeah the only kid i know who has px100s is another head-fier. but the hd201s are getting out into the non-audiophile world. i saw a kid yesterday who had the HD201s and had never even heard of Head-Fi. (i couldn't help wondering who would spend that kinda money with out seeing if they were any good here first.)

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
i go to  high-school in North Carolina and have noticed that at my school scull candy's are getting less popular and sennheiser's are getting use a lot more. but i still haven't seen any grados or AKGs being used by non-head-fiers.

DUDE SAME HERE, live in Oregon on the west coast, i saw a freshman girl wearing a pair of Senn HD555 and a dac amp with her ipod in my sketching class, i was like wh...WHA!!!

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #30 of 30

Quote:
I'm actually seeing a lot of Panasonic RP-HTX7 lately. Sadly it seems like most people are using them to match the outfit they are wearing that day.

probably because they look like those hipster WESC headphones. Although, I'm assuming that the former has better sound quality. WESC headphones are just for a (trashy) fashion style. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back