Good music, whoa what an addiction
May 3, 2003 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that I've broken myself into jazz (50-60s era), I am completely into it, there's this special connection I feel with jazz. I can listen to it at any time, regardless of my mood. At first I started a modest collection, and tonight I just ordered almost twice as many albums I already had ($450 worth). This is the first time I've been this deep into music, it's awesome, I love it. So much that it's taking priority to most everything else I want to get.

May 3, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 19
Glad to have you onboard Audio&Me.

I wish more young people would leave their musical prejudices aside like yourself and just listen to Jazz for what it is..... good music.

Nice to see / hear
confused.gif
of somebody else using their ears. I just know that this will be the start of a happy relationship for you. Once you really start to GET Jazz music it will never leave you.

Sound As Ever

May 3, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Nice to see / hear
confused.gif
of somebody else using their ears. I just know that this will be the start of a happy relationship for you. Once you really start to GET Jazz music it will never leave you.

I remember writing this sometime ago in another thread; I was raised in the 50's and for a good part of the 60's listening almost exclusively to Jazz from the mid 30's to what was then the present day. My father had hundreds of records that we would listen to for hours on those rainy, long winter nights in the Pacific Northwest. I drifted away from Jazz as the Rock of the late 60's grabbed hold of me. I find now that I am drifting back to some of my favorites from long ago Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong to name a few. It is great music.

May 3, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 19
Wow, someone here actually found out that all the equipment upgrades in the world won't help unless you have some great music with which to play through that system. Great job Audio & Me. I hope you really find many hours of listening enjoyment with that new jazz. I grew up listening to my father's records from the 50's and 60's and still love it. Duane Eddy's music was just incredible, along with Sandy Nelson, drummer, Beach Boys, etc. This is mostly rock, but that is also great stuff also.

May 5, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 19
You might want to check out some of the earlier 40's bebop stuff. Charlie Parker, Dizzy, and the rest. A LOT of it is VERY poorly recorded, but it doesn't really matter with Parker on the sax
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 19
I've always liked jazz, I just never got into it 'til lately. My musical prejudice goes towards anything commercial/mainstream, pop, and stuff with people screaming. What brought me in was that I finally understood jazz, it's a know by experience only thing, I'm sure you jazz fans know what I mean. I'm completely into hardbop, also like the cool style. I'd like to explore some older stuff such as Stan Getz, Oscar Peterson/Pettifold, Coleman Hawkins, Chick Corea, as well as others.

May 7, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I'd like to explore some older stuff such as Stan Getz, Oscar Peterson/Pettifold, Coleman Hawkins, Chick Corea, as well as others.

And there is no place better to start than Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.

For Pops, I'd recommend getting the complete Hot Fives and Sevens. They were re-released by Sony as a 3 CD box set about two years ago, but they were just reissued as three individual CDs (I don't know if they're budget or not). While the music was recorded in the mid to late 1920s, the sound quality is not that bad. Plus, Pops is astounding on trumpet. This is some of the best jazz you'll ever hear, and some of the most influential music of all time.

For Duke, he recorded some of his best music in the 1960s. My favorite jazz album of all time is the Far East Suite, which contains some of the best big band jazz you'll hear. Also try "And His Mother Called Him Bill," "The New Orleans Suite," and "The Complete Reprise Recordings of Duke Ellington" (Mosaic). The last one can be ordered from www.mosaicrecords.com. While it doesn't contain his best work, it is a lot of fun to hear Ellington play "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "All My Loving."

May 7, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 19
I'm not down with buying box sets. Louis isn't for me, but I found an Ellington album that I will buy shortley, the one with Coltrane. I don't like big band, just a fan of small band jazz.

May 7, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Now that I've broken myself into jazz (50-60s era), I am completely into it, there's this special connection I feel with jazz. I can listen to it at any time, regardless of my mood. At first I started a modest collection, and tonight I just ordered almost twice as many albums I already had ($450 worth). This is the first time I've been this deep into music, it's awesome, I love it. So much that it's taking priority to most everything else I want to get.

I would like to listen to more jazz, but I don't know where to begin really. Which albums are a good start?

May 7, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I found an Ellington album that I will buy shortley, the one with Coltrane.

That album is on Impulse! If you like it, you should get the Ellington one with Coleman Hawkins, also on Impulse!

You should also try Money Jungle (Blue Note), a trio with Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach.

May 16, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
For Pops, I'd recommend getting the complete Hot Fives and Sevens. They were re-released by Sony as a 3 CD box set about two years ago, but they were just reissued as three individual CDs

This is somewhat inaccurate. Sony Music (Columbia/Legacy) actually released the complete Hot Fives And Sevens as a 4 CD box set back in the year 2000 (that box set is still in print), and just last year a single CD containing the highlights from that box set was issued. Earlier this year the complete Hot Fives and Sevens has been reissued yet again, as four (not three) individual CDs.

I own the 4 CD box set myself, and has been in my CD playing rotation ever since. Trouble is, it costs double that of the JSP box set (which I would have picked if you're on a budget, since it doesn't have as much of the attendant material that the Columbia/Legacy box set has, but has much of the later 1929-1930 big-band material recorded prior to Satch leaving New York for Hollywood - the only big-band material that the Columbia box set has is material that was originally issued as by the Hot Five or Hot Seven or the Savoy Ballroom Five).

May 16, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
This is somewhat inaccurate. Sony Music (Columbia/Legacy) actually released the complete Hot Fives And Sevens as a 4 CD box set back in the year 2000 (that box set is still in print), and just last year a single CD containing the highlights from that box set was issued. Earlier this year the complete Hot Fives and Sevens has been reissued yet again, as four (not three) individual CDs.

I own the 4 CD box set myself, and has been in my CD playing rotation ever since. Trouble is, it costs double that of the JSP box set (which I would have picked if you're on a budget, since it doesn't have as much of the attendant material that the Columbia/Legacy box set has, but has much of the later 1929-1930 big-band material recorded prior to Satch leaving New York for Hollywood - the only big-band material that the Columbia box set has is material that was originally issued as by the Hot Five or Hot Seven or the Savoy Ballroom Five).

Correct, it is 4-CDs, not three.

I also find the sound of the JSPs to be superior. Plus, the Columbia box was horrible--the storage method they choose almost ruined the CDs.

May 16, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 19
Please don't go off topic, do that privately.

Anyway, I recently bought Lee Morgan: Candy LP, I have it on CD also. I was supposed to pick it up today, but I forgot, lol, maybe tomorrow.

May 17, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 19
Another great Lee Morgan CD is "Search for the New Land." IIRC, both Grant Green and Wayne Shorter are on it.

May 22, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 19
well i dont listen to jazz. but once awhile i turn on the radio to check out what disgusting music they are making in the mainstream today, but whenever i turn to the jazz channel i enjoy that stuff. are there any reccomendation for a starter who know nothing about it?
confused.gif

the only 2 jazz artist i can think of is luis armstrong and duke ellington from the 1920s. harlem rennaisance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back