good mp3 with Shure SE530?
Aug 3, 2008 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hoboson

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've recently ordered a pair of se530's and I was wondering which mp3 would be the best for my 530's. I'm interested in getting the Samsung P2 or the Sony NWZ-A728; however, I'm not certain about the sound quality.

Some say that the P2 with the 530's hiss, while others say the SQ couldn't be any better...
Also, I've heard that the A728's generally have good SQ.

Can anyone recommend me the perfect mp3 for my SE530's (SQ-wise)? I'm not looking for any portable amps, since my mp3 player will mostly be in my pocket.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 12
I tried the iAudio D2 with my SE530 and the hiss sort of bothered me after a couple of weeks. The sound quality didn't impress me that much either. I prefered the Sony players since they were a bit punchier. iPOD Nano had very little hiss and same goes for iPOD Classic.

However I did find that when I use my D2 Boa portable amp that I no longer had any problems with my main hissing device iRiver S10 and everything just sounded nice and clean. If it was one thing that was killing me was the hiss... that is not why I bought such and expensive IEM.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 12
Cowon D2 or something from Sansa - good hardware and no need for special software - nice and clean

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 12
I am using the cowon iaudio 7 with those iem's. I am completely satisfied. Don;t underestimate the value of subtle use of the jeteffects that come with cowon players. I am finding BBE at 1 and a slight boost in treble is great. Drove on the interstate today for 3 hours, and listened to 2 Brahm's symphonies. Lost in the music I was/

sadre

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 12
I know it's not one of the choices you put forth, but I have to admit the Cowon D2 + SE530s have been magic for me as well. As previously mentioned, a little EQ or ajustment to JetEffects should give you just the sound you're looking for, although I prefer mine flat.

If you are sensitive to sibilence, then any of the MP3 players can be a problem. You can help with the use of a good portable amp or with an attenuator.

I have not heard the P2 or the Sony, so take what I say here accordingly. Seems to me that in general the Sony is more pleasing to the ear than the P2. If you rule out the D2 and only choose from these two, you'll probably be happier with the Sony.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'll look more into the D2... although I was looking for a more appealing player, but I guess it's all about the SQ
smile.gif

hmm...not to be a noob or anything, but what is Jeteffects?

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Access /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was one thing that was killing me was the hiss... that is not why I bought such and expensive IEM.

Right, the SE530s are pretty sensitive and they will reveal any hiss in your source. I use mine with an iRiver H120 and there is hiss. However, it is no issue once the music starts. And, yes, using a portable amp completely eliminates the hiss.

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'll look more into the D2... although I was looking for a more appealing player, but I guess it's all about the SQ
smile.gif

hmm...not to be a noob or anything, but what is Jeteffects?

Jet Effects are the customisable sound effects that Cowon includes on their DAPs. They include Mach3Bass, BBE, Surround Sound, Stereo Enhance etc. as well as a 5 band customisable EQ.

sadre is right when he says that moderate use of Jet Effects can enhance the music (key word is moderate!). Definitely it is an advantage to be able to adjust bass and treble levels for different genres

I remember reading that the Shure 500 benefits from EQ settings to bring out the treble more, and D2 definitely has a very customisable EQ. Additionally its strong bass will pair well with the analytical/ colder D2 sound. I remember a poster who was unhappy with the E500-Sony combo - warm source + warm cans may not sound great

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 12
i have that combo aka D2+530SE and it works great, you would definitely benefit from an amp of some sort to reduce the hiss, but the D2 can drive the SE530 without a problem. i like to listen to my music flat but the SE530 does respond well to EQ and benefits from EQ greatly. as said above the D2 does have quite a customizable EQ... though i can only say that i only really enjoy these headphones with my non-classical/vocal/jazz music

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 12
The Cowon D2 is an excellent player, and offers FLAC support which you should really consider using with the SE530s.

But if you're not fond of touch-screens, the Creative Zen offers decent sound with very low harmonic distortion and a great signal to noise ratio.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Doing some research, I'm actually thinking of buying the D2 now.
HOWEVER.. there are rumors that the D3 will be coming out real soon (maybe the end of august).

but I'm not sure if i should wait because the Korean version can be released first. Also, the sound quality on the D3 with the SE530s can be worse than the D2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back