good minidisc player?
Jul 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JennaFF

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for a relatively cheap device to play music on. Are there any good minidisc players I could find used and relatively cheap to normal DAPs?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Why are there so many pictures of anime girls for avatars???... (**** you....) I myself only care for pretty girls for myself, and actually don't co-operate with others in a social sense (cause I'm better...) and I should get pretty girlfriends because I am good-looking.....

lol

isn't it a little early to be smoking crack?

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for a relatively cheap device to play music on. Are there any good minidisc players I could find used and relatively cheap to normal DAPs?

I'm not sure if Minidisc is the way to go when you want a cheap DAP alternative.You can probably find cheap MD portables, sure, but think of the hassle and the followup costs. I assume you do not already have a big collection of recorded Minidiscs - because if you did, you likely would not have to ask about this.
wink_face.gif

So your MD player would have to be a recorder, and you need blank disks. If you go for an older recorder (from before the HI-MD age) you will need the regular MDs which hold 80 minutes, about 170MB. These are fairly cheap, but you will need many, and recording is done in real-time from another audio source - hours and hours.
The later HI-MD recorders (there are only a handful, MZ-NH1, MZ-RH10, MZ-RH1, probably a few more) can use the regular MDs and the expensive HI-MDs, the latter holding 1GB of data. They also work better with computers, allowing music transfer via USB. They are not cheap, though.
Many MD devices also require special batteries, which you can still get, but some of these are expensive, so that is another thing to watch out for. Also, most portables you can find will be used, and with their many miniaturized moving parts, MD recorders tend to break down after a few years.

When used purely as a player I think MD is not that great compared to DAPs nowadays, a cheap DAP like the ubiquitous Clip+ with SD cards will be more comfortable to use and probably cheaper.The remaining strength of MD is the recording capability, and even there you have the ever growing number of decent flash-based digital recorders.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Oh, okay. thanks! What would you reccomend for something that is cheap and sounds good, then? What about a good usb/pcmcia sound card and the tablet computer I have?

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh!! I should also add that right now it runs windows 2k but im about to install xubuntu to it, just need to wait for the backpack CD drive to come in the mail, then I have to make a DOS boot disk and use that with the floppy drive to boot into the linux cd, so yeah. it would have to work with linux

May 9, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Reading this thread now listening to my old MZ-R500 which records 80 minutes discs in real time via optical TOS-link cable with no LP compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back