Good luck with Ivan, wmcmanus
Sep 12, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hopefully you'll survive this deadly storm alright! My thoughts are with you.

EDIT: damn, just goes to figure, I'd misspell your username in the thread title. Could a mod please change it to wmcmanus, please?

LOL! ....and what a difference one letter can make....
lach_3.gif

Good luck with that storm, though!

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 53
yea, this thought went through my miind today too.

Stay safe wayne, button down all the gear,and find a nice safe place to hide, i hope u don't get hurt.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 53
Wayne is currently in Illinois and out of danger.
You know what this means?

All his gear is sitting there unattended...lets go to Cayman Islands Boys!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously - he is just as worried about the state of affairs in and around his place because of the earthquake and now the storm. Lets hope everything is OK because we need to be there for the Cayman Islands HeadFi meet
wink.gif

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 53
The earthquake was near the Cayman Islands...out at sea!

Storm Surge...
Most people killed by a hurricane are killed by the surging sea. It's something like 90%. How high is the surge? It can be from 20 or more feet.

Cayman Islands' ham-radio operators...
They are reporting that many houses are completely flooded by the surging sea. People are now standing on their rooftops. Remember, the Cayman Islands are low. The highest elevation in Grand Cayman is 60 feet (about 18m)!!

Storm surge definition is here...
http://www.sky-chaser.com/schpri.htm

Sep 12, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 53
oh boy, hope you're house+gear is ok Wayne!

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 53
Hi guys, thanks for your concerns.

I'm not sure how much I should say at this point, except that I am indeed safe (but maybe not so sound) in Illinois. My grandmother passed away last Sunday after nearly 95 wonderful years of life. She was an utterly amazing woman, and thankfully she did not suffer, even in the end.

I was scheduled to retun to Cayman this Sunday morning, but the airport had been closed since Saturday evening. I'm not sure when it will be reopened but I'll go back as soon as I can, one way or another.

There are 3 people in my house and I was in cell phone contact with them until about 12:30 this afternoon. The damage to the Island and in general and to my house in particular, has been severe. About half of my shingles had been ripped off, along with the tar paper and gutters. This means that the house is leaking like crazy, through the roof, the sheetrock ceilings, and then through the whole house in-ceiling speaker system, lighting fixtures, a/c vents, etc, and into the living space.

The windows in my garage, each of which are 6 feet wide, blew out and thus everything inside of that area is subject to the destructive winds. The flood waters were about a foot under the level at which they will invite themselves in for a permanent stay. In time, I suspect that most of the other windows would have blown out (by now) but there is no way for me to confirm this.

I am hoping and praying that my roof will stay on and thus the lives of my friends inside will be spared. I drove many of the nails that secure the so-called "hurricane straps" myself when the house was constructed 7 years ago, so I know that everything is up to code, or beyond.

I asked my friends in the early hours this morning to secure as much of my audio gear as is possible, to relocate the headphones, amps, speakers, etc., into closets, and to box up my CD collection, computers, and the like, but only to the extent that they feel safe in moving around the house to do so. As with most people, they have no idea what all of this stuff is worth, but I was careful not to give them the impression that it is in any way worth more than their safety. Things can be replaced.

My apartments are on the South side of the Island and only about 0.1 miles from the sea, whereas my house is on the NorthWest side and 0.3 miles from the sea. I was not able to contact any of the tennants, and sure hope this means that they found a safer place to ride out the storm. I suspect that the apartment building itself will be a total loss for insurance purposes.

Ironically, when I was passing through the airport in Charlotte on my way to Illinois, I picked up a copy of a new biography of Jim Morrison of The Doors, and happen to have also packed with me some of their discs. Reading about how nutty this guy was has helped me to maintain my sanity. Not knowing what will happen next is the hardest part for now. I know that the Cayman Islands will never be "the same" but I can't wait to get back to this place that I love - to find all of my friends, and to start rebuilding. "Riders On the Storm" will get me through the night, because I know that we in Cayman are a resiliant group of people and will somehow get through it together.

(If nothing else, my XP-7, UE-10 Pro, and Sony D-EJ2000 rig has survived!!!)

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 53
I find this incredibly appropriate...

Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan
Riders on the storm

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 53
I've just received an email from a Caymanian friend who now lives in the States. He also reports that all communication to the Cayman Islands has been cut off since early afternoon, and there is no telling when phone services will resume, but I suspect it will be several days.

On last report, his family was safe. They were able to send some text messages out at around 7pm this evening. They mentioned that there was 4 feet of standing water in the Prospect area in Grand Cayman (this is located in the SouthWestern part of the Island that has been hit hardest so far). This is where his parents live (but are not staying during the storm) and also where my apartments are located. No reports of any deaths or serious injuries yet, but at this time it appears as though each home is effectively an Island unto itself in terms of communication.

I've had enough for tonight, but will check back in to head-fi again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back