Good lord(Headroom Little)
Jun 7, 2002 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I just recieved my little loaner. Popped in one of my favorite jazz recordings, bruebeck's time out.

WOW! Before, it used to be denon 370 > cmoy > hd580s.
Now, its denon > outlaw PCA > Little > 580s.

I don't know whether its the cables or the amp, or both, but from first impressions, WOW. I don't know how to describe it. The amp is a lot "faster(?)." Also, the bass on this setup is amazing. I didn't know what I was missing with the ratshack rca to mini and cmoy! I mean, I'm hearing notes I haven't heard!

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 15
If your impressed now you should add-in the upgraded power supply! It's another night-and-day change...

So will this little be making it's way back to Headroom?

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 15
yup. I want to sample the little, cosmic, MOH, and the MG head OTL before making a decision. Oh, and I'll be going to the world of headphones show to sample more.

Jun 7, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 15
The MOH smokes the little even with the better power supply. I could easily see my next major amp purchase being a MOHR or a Max.

The little with the power supply would make a good office setup.

Of course, a Cosmic reference can run off of 4 D cells and be made portable. Add Etys and enjoy a small slice of portable heaven.

Jun 7, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 15
IS your Loaner Little a new one with the new power supply, or one with the old power supply?

If new, then the power supply upgrade should be a waste of time/money according to Tyll. He suggest going for the Ref Module instead. (or is it Premium module?)

If old, PLEASE test it with the old cable and see if you still have a killer upgrade. I just bought DVR's Little and I haven't been able to test it yet as it should be at home when I get there - but it is my birthday present from my wife - and my birthday isn't until the 19th!!!
mad.gif
frown.gif

I can't image how my setup can sound that much better, but it will just have to. After all, 6 million Head-Fi-ers can't all be wrong...or was that 6 million chinese?
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by shorton
IS your Loaner Little a new one with the new power supply, or one with the old power supply?

If new, then the power supply upgrade should be a waste of time/money according to Tyll. He suggest going for the Ref Module instead. (or is it Premium module?)

I dunno... I would imagine the little they have on the tour would be a new one but there is a HUGE difference adding in the power supply... I wouldn't consider it a waste of money at all.

I suppose it's possible Tyll is touring with an old model though...

If that *is* the newer model, the power supply is worth every penny. Of course, a Max is better still...

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 15
All HeadRoom products at the show are current production units. Except... for the identical 'old' 'Maxed Out Home' amps in the Headphone case which have been upgraded to Premium modules.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 15
In that case I can safely say that Tyll is nuts... (Actually, I met him and I assure you he really is nuts)

I found the little with the power supply (little more?) was a HUGE improvement over the standard little. It was more smooth, less grainy, more detailed and yet more forgiving. The differences were apparent within a second of listening. The same headphone/source/cable were used.

Anyone else notice this from the tour?

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm sure I did but I don't really recall. I wasn't really focused on the littles except for the fact that they stood out with regards to price:
tongue.gif
erformance.

I suspect it's possible that I was A/B testing a little premium vs. the little w/ the power upgrade. If that was the case the power upgrade did MUCH more for me than the premium. Though If I were to purchase I would get both.

Danny, maybe you can help refresh my memory. As I recall on that rack the littles were up on the top right. The one with the power supply was the one on the right and the other was just to the left of it. What exactly was I comparing?

Honestly, I should have come along with a dozen CDs, a notebook, and spent the night with those racks. Maybe I can take a vacation to Bozeman one of these days. :wink:

BTW, Danny, what model Meridian CDP was that on that rack? I was REALLY impressed with it!

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Well, I'm back from listening to radiohead's ok computer. <sigh> this thing is amazing.

Wait till you hear the MoH!

Jun 8, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Hmmmm. Have to give the Little a tryout. I wonder why my credit card is crying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back