Good knife set?
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

CDBacklash

1000+ Head-Fier
Just went to my parents place and helped them prepare dinner. Had to cut some pork up.
It was bad.
Anyone got some suggestions for a good knife set I can pick up for them?
Cost as low as possible
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 38
I like to cook, so I like good knifes. I use a Santoku knives. All carbon, no steel, balanced nicely. Not to bad in price. About 30-40 dollers a knife.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 38
Anthony Bourdain says you only need one knife - a large chef's knife. Instead of getting a poor set of knives, get one really good single knife. Bourdain recommends the Global series for its light weight. I gave my Mom a Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic chef's knife and she swears by it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 38
biggrin.gif
Actually me and my pro-chef mom use Nenohi Ao-ko Kasumi Kiritsuke for literally every cut in the kitchen (well she's branched out a bit). Western-style knives for the rofl, wustof is just a good set

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 38
GINSU_BOX.JPG

You can cut through a tin can!

Still, I tend to stick with Wusthof Trident. You can get by with just two good knives: a paring knife and a chef's knife. Be sure to buy a decent steel and learn how to use it, too.

A few other handy ones are a bread knife, fillet knife, carving knife, and a cleaver.

Buy the most expensive models and you'll pass them on to your grandchildren. They really hold up if you take care of them.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 38
i remember that knife! you can cut through all the pennies you save not buying a good knife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GINSU_BOX.JPG

You can cut through a tin can!

Still, I tend to stick with Wusthof Trident. You can get by with just two good knives: a paring knife and a chef's knife. Be sure to buy a decent steel and learn how to use it, too.

A few other handy ones are a bread knife, fillet knife, carving knife, and a cleaver.

Buy the most expensive models and you'll pass them on to your grandchildren. They really hold up if you take care of them.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 38
Chicago Cutlery, full stainless handles/tangs everything. Works good for me for a few years, only cost about $89 or so.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 38
Personally I am a culinary student (but I've already worked as a chef in many restaurants) and I swear by mac knives. The basic set should be sufficient. If you want to go as cheap as possible victorinox also makes quality blades, although they are really no match for mac. You basically only need a small paring knife and a 20cm chefs knife. The rest is for show. (I have a 20cm chefs knife, a paring knife, a fileting knife, a bread knife and a deboning knife) I recommend you go to a store and feel how the knives feel.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 38
I would suggest that even the best knife is useless if it's not sharp.

The best value sharpener I have found is AccuSharp; easy to use and effective. My mother-in-law loves it because she can now sharpen her own knives.

Maybe a decent sharpener is an alternative to new knives, or is it that your parents' knives are falling apart somehow?

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I am a culinary student (but I've already worked as a chef in many restaurants) and I swear by mac knives. The basic set should be sufficient. If you want to go as cheap as possible victorinox also makes quality blades, although they are really no match for mac. You basically only need a small paring knife and a 20cm chefs knife. The rest is for show. (I have a 20cm chefs knife, a paring knife, a fileting knife, a bread knife and a deboning knife) I recommend you go to a store and feel how the knives feel.

Theres a song about it.....

YouTube - Mack the Knife- Frank Sinatra and Jimmy Buffett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back