Good Isoloation Cans that sound like ESW9's?
Nov 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

antran7

New Head-Fier
In my resume are ESW9, ANC7, HFI780, ER4S, and K414P. I want my next can to have the isolation of the HFI780's but the sound of the ESW9's. I don't really care about portability, and only mildly care about durability (i'll be careful). And I would strongly prefer circumaural.

Any advice? I'm hoping somebody recommends the DT150's because I think they're cool lookin'.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 7
The Panasonic HTX7's have good isolation, they seem to be very durable, in that you can bang them around and they will still sound the same (however there may be scratches on the outside of the driver enclosures, since it's a glossy plastic). They are circumaural and very comfy. They sound somewhat similar to the esw9's, but it's less crisp. The bass is not as tight, and there is a general lack of speed and detail, but I bet the frequency response graphs between them and the esw9 would be close. I own both of these headphones... I can't really think of anything else that I've heard that would fit the bill

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 7
thanks for the advice! i never thought of the HTX7's... i'll have to look into them.

majkel, have you had or have heard the dt150's? do you know if they fold flat?

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the whole bunch you mentioned, the DT150's are the way to go. Otherwise, if not circumaural - the HD25-1's.

Do You suggest that HD 25-1 sound like ESW9? I don't think they are similar sound wise - and isolation is not that much better

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 7
the ESW9's are practically open cans... the only way to not hear outside noise is the turn the music up. plus on long plane rides, my ears get kind of fatigued by their supra-aural fit.

but i love how they sound... maybe a little too warm when i'm in a techno mood... but the majority of the time they're perfect.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by antran7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
majkel, have you had or have heard the dt150's? do you know if they fold flat?

Yes, I have but don't remember how they fold. See on the Beyerdynamic web site. They don't sound like the ESW9's, neither do the HD25-1's but I think that there is no ESW9 equivalent, actually. With the Senns you lose the soundstage, with the Beyers you actually gain fuller, deeper and more intimate presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back