Good isolating headphones advice for a complete ignorant newbie
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ihate

New Head-Fier
Hi
I just need a headphone with the best possible isolation and only decent sound (which translates into something like "worse than average but not unbearable" for an audiophile, I guess) to use directly with my desktop or laptop PCs. All I need is to mask out neighbors' noise with a very low volume mellow music. My Etymotic does it job excellently but my ear canals developed sores because of prolonged use. I know nothing about headphones, I just need to put a 2.5mm jack into my PC and listen to them. I can go up to 150-200 US dollars max. How about this list here?: http://headphonesaddict.com/best-noise-isolating-earbuds/ 
Thanks.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 10
I use the HD380
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-headphones

I even use it as soundbarier at work.
The only bad thing about this headphone is the cable.
So I use an old cable from my HD570
but any 2.5mm to 3.5mm will do just fine

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. I see that people usually compare HD280 /HD380 with Audio Technica ATH-M50x /M40x in terms of both sound and isolation. As far as I see from the photographs, ATH-M50x through M20x are the same materials and same case design. So, the isolation of M20x should be the same as that of M50x, right? If so, I'm going to buy M20x since they are much cheaper and I don't care about sound quality much.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 10
  Thanks. I see that people usually compare HD280 /HD380 with Audio Technica ATH-M50x /M40x in terms of both sound and isolation. As far as I see from the photographs, ATH-M50x through M20x are the same materials and same case design. So, the isolation of M20x should be the same as that of M50x, right? If so, I'm going to buy M20x since they are much cheaper and I don't care about sound quality much.

Have you ever used closed circumaural(around the ear) headphones? I can no longer use them as my ears become very uncomfortably hot after just a few minutes when using a closed circumaural headphone. I now use IEMs when I want isolation. Some IEMs are much more comfortable than others. I find that those with an ergonomic shape with the nozzle coming out from the edge to be the most comfortable. Perhaps if you changed the tips on your Etymotic it might be much more comfortable? Some people love Comply tips.

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 10
well that's the main reason i don't use IEM anymore.
Overear might be a little warm during summertime.
But you don't see me on a bike without my oems.
They shelter me from the wind and cold and as a bonus supply me with HQsound.

The IEMS that drifted out of my ears because of sweat drove me nuts.
And the new design of iems don't fit my ears!
Were the sony fontopia's fitted nicely, not even Shure has a fitting rubber dome.
The hard and soft molded personalized earplugs i have, leak enormously: the hard extreme and the soft only when i move my jaws.

So i embrace the extra warmth. Nothing is influencing the sound, its comfortable and with the proper OEMs my ears are not even touched.
Wonderfull

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 10
  well that's the main reason i don't use IEM anymore.
Overear might be a little warm during summertime.
But you don't see me on a bike without my oems.
They shelter me from the wind and cold and as a bonus supply me with HQsound.

The IEMS that drifted out of my ears because of sweat drove me nuts.
And the new design of iems don't fit my ears!
Were the sony fontopia's fitted nicely, not even Shure has a fitting rubber dome.
The hard and soft molded personalized earplugs i have, leak enormously: the hard extreme and the soft only when i move my jaws.

So i embrace the extra warmth. Nothing is influencing the sound, its comfortable and with the proper OEMs my ears are not even touched.
Wonderfull

Riding a bicycle while wearing earphones in both ears  or headphones is illegal in some places. Wearing isolating headphones or isolating earphones while riding a bicycle is extremely dangerous.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11867022

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 10
:) oh please
I tried to kill my self for 30 years now

Let me say this. It can be dangerous to not pay attention to traffic. Headphones/music/sound isolation/texting is irrelevant.
When holding a deadly force ( like lets say a weigth of 1000kilo and a speed of more than 30km/h) then you are irresponsible when not paying attention! Then you are waiting to kill someone

Me killing someone with 80kilo and a top speed of 30km/h would be an act of god.
At best i'm able to kill myself, well ****** me.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 10
  :) oh please
I tried to kill my self for 30 years now

Let me say this. It can be dangerous to not pay attention to traffic. Headphones/music/sound isolation/texting is irrelevant.
When holding a deadly force ( like lets say a weigth of 1000kilo and a speed of more than 30km/h) then you are irresponsible when not paying attention! Then you are waiting to kill someone

Me killing someone with 80kilo and a top speed of 30km/h would be an act of god.
At best i'm able to kill myself, well ****** me.

Pedestrians have been killed by being run into by bicycles. Of course bicyclists get killed by cars much more often.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 10

Have you ever used closed circumaural(around the ear) headphones? I can no longer use them as my ears become very uncomfortably hot after just a few minutes when using a closed circumaural headphone. I now use IEMs when I want isolation. Some IEMs are much more comfortable than others. I find that those with an ergonomic shape with the nozzle coming out from the edge to be the most comfortable. Perhaps if you changed the tips on your Etymotic it might be much more comfortable? Some people love Comply tips.

Thanks. You made me remember I'm currently using aftermarket silicone tips. They might have a little bit rougher edges than the factory ones, I don't know. I should probably try different tips. And that means another purchase from an Ebay seller, which will be a hit or miss. Anyway, I'm going to give M20x a try. Burning ears must be more tolerable than noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back