?? good isolating DJ Headphone ??
Sep 3, 2002 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

djpauli

New Head-Fier
Hi!
Does anybody know a good DJ Headphone (for Techno) which isolate very good. I have tried the Sennheiser HD 280 pro - this phone isolates greate, but I don't like how it's look...

If anybody can give me an advice, I would be happy...

Thx

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 17
The beyers are actually $155 from Dr. Meier
frown.gif
(but still better than Headroom's price)

If you're worried about looks, you might wanna take a look at the new Pioneer HDJ-1000s which will soon be available (Sept 15) from Audiocubes for $139 shipped. Nice looking phones but no real info on them yet. Heard Magicthyse's gonna be gettin them as soon as they're available in the UK so we'll have to wait till then to find out how these sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, lessee here, high isolation headphones that I know of are the DT770 from beyerdynamic and the Etymotic line of headphones, neither of which are DJ headphones..

What about these new Ultrasone headphones that Jan Meier reviewed? The HFI-650 from www.meier-audio.com

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&postid=177278

He said the isolation was HIGHER than the 770's, which is good..

I believe they have the same sort of look and design as the HD280's....

And it's only 75 ohms, which is easy to drive..

Sep 4, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Hey guys!

Thank you for your postings.

Does anybody know the "Technics RPDJ-1200"? Is this a good isolating headphone?? I read they are quite good DJ-Headphones, espescially for beatmatching...

Has anybody tried these phones??

Are they better (soundquality / isolating) as the sony mdr v6?

Sep 4, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 17
As I wrote elsewhere, I should have the Pioneer HDJ-1000 soon. If these turn out to be turdy, then the plan is for the RP-DJ1200A.
Let you know possibly towards the end of Sep.

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Hi Magicthyse!

The Pioneer HDJ-1000 looks very interessting, but I think it is quite expensive: "Suggested retail price: $199".

Do you know if the Technics RPDJ-1200 isolates good??

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 17
All I know about the RP-DJ1200's is secondhand info - that they feature as strong a bass as the V700, while going lower and being less 'whoomy' (probably hard to describe to anyone other than a V700 user).

With 32 ohm impedance and 106db/mw sensitivity, I would expect similar volume capability to the V700. Apparently isolation is superior too due to the squidgier earpads - but I would say probably it's much sweatier.

But I would say that isolation is not really a key factor in DJing - it's necessary to take the edge off higher frequencies which could be distracting, but even highly effective isolation such as that found on the HD280 does little to attenuate lower frequencies - so the capability of the phones to go loud is the key issue.

As for the HDJ-1000, it's $130 from Audiocubes. Not expensive at all.

Sep 6, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
But I would say that isolation is not really a key factor in DJing - it's necessary to take the edge off higher frequencies which could be distracting, but even highly effective isolation such as that found on the HD280 does little to attenuate lower frequencies - so the capability of the phones to go loud is the key issue.

1. Higher frequencies aren't distracting when DJing. They are just as important as other frequencies, especially when you're mixing in only the highs of the incoming record.

2. Since when is isolation not a "key factor" in DJing? I've never seen any DJs sporting HD 600s. You want to hear the master speaker/soundsystem in one ear (earcup off) and the cue in the other (earcup on). In a loud club environment, this can be difficult. Better isolation gives you better master/cue separation, and allows you the keep the headphone volume lower so you're not damaging your hearing!

3. Using a pair of Sony V700DJs does not mean you can speak about DJing with any sort of authority, in fact, it probably proves otherwise.
biggrin.gif

nate

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 17
Can't find a link right now, but Beyer have something that sound like "ear protecting" headphones -- like the kind you can listen to music in front of a running airplane engine. They're huge, like an apartment around your ears. I think you should get those. Forget looks, just go the other direction -- decorate them. Put blinking christmas lights on them and tinsel. Put a blacklight on them. A skull...you get the idea...

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
did anyone else notice that the senn 280pro's are less than $80 at etronics.com?

Yea, I did
wink.gif

They're exactly $76.49 (and $6.99 for UPS ground), but djpauli doesn't like how they look.
rolleyes.gif

btw, greatly looking forward to your Pioneer HDJ-1000 review, Magicthyse
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 17
2 was exactly what I was talking about. Have you noticed the beats from your master sound system coming through pretty clearly on the 'sealed' side? It happens on any phone - V700, V900, V600 or HD280.

I'll therefore repeat it: the ability to go loud is the key factor in DJing. Isolation is a close secondary, albeit necessary, consideration.

You actually sound more like a bedroom DJ to me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by nierika

1. Higher frequencies aren't distracting when DJing. They are just as important as other frequencies, especially when you're mixing in only the highs of the incoming record.

2. Since when is isolation not a "key factor" in DJing? I've never seen any DJs sporting HD 600s. You want to hear the master speaker/soundsystem in one ear (earcup off) and the cue in the other (earcup on). In a loud club environment, this can be difficult. Better isolation gives you better master/cue separation, and allows you the keep the headphone volume lower so you're not damaging your hearing!

3. Using a pair of Sony V700DJs does not mean you can speak about DJing with any sort of authority, in fact, it probably proves otherwise.
biggrin.gif

nate

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Silverbolt

Yea, I did
wink.gif

They're exactly $76.49 (and $6.99 for UPS ground), but djpauli doesn't like how they look.
rolleyes.gif

btw, greatly looking forward to your Pioneer HDJ-1000 review, Magicthyse
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not just how they look, is it - the HD280's have no bass. They have the response, but no presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back