Good IEMs under $50
May 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

paramoir

Formerly known as ImTheSmallKid
The only in ear headphones I had that was decent was the coloud pop. I didn't know much about audio back then so I don't know if it's actually good or I just didn't care back then. I just got the ath-m40x to step up my audio game and now I'm looking for IEMs. I listen to all kinds of music except jazz and classical so I don't really want much bass. I want more of a balanced sound. I don't just listen to music. I also watch a lot of youtube videos and movies. Know any good ones under $50? If you know good ones below $25 that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 22
That list should just be prompted automatically to everyone starting an "I need new IEM's" thread :wink:

There's quite some similar threads on this forum as well; have you tried the search function? Or just Googled your title?

My personal thoughts:
If you do not mind the cable the Sony MH1C should fit the bill.
The VSonic R02 and Xiaomi Pistons are well regarded too, though I personally have no experience with these.

May 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 22
MEElectronics m6 pro

Pistons 2.1

Vsonic vsd3s ( non detach cord )

Vsonic vsd1s

Soundmagic e30

May 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 22
  That list should just be prompted automatically to everyone starting an "I need new IEM's" thread :wink:

There's quite some similar threads on this forum as well; have you tried the search function? Or just Googled your title?

My personal thoughts:
If you do not mind the cable the Sony MH1C should fit the bill.
The VSonic R02 and Xiaomi Pistons are well regarded too, though I personally have no experience with these.

I searched a little bit but not enough. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  Oh hey, I remember you from that one other thread.
If you could tell us the headphones you currently have, that'd be great for helping us to narrow down to what you like -- that is, if you currently like the sound of the headphones you already have but want something better.

I don't have any IEMs at the moment. I only have an ath-m40x. I'd like IEMs that is decent for a lot of things because I listen to a lot of kinds of music. I like balanced sound. I just want moderate bass. Isolation and comfort is very important to me too.

May 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 22

Oh hey, I remember you from that one other thread.
If you could tell us the headphones you currently have, that'd be great for helping us to narrow down to what you like -- that is, if you currently like the sound of the headphones you already have but want something better.

I don't have any IEMs at the moment. I only have an ath-m40x. I'd like IEMs that is decent for a lot of things because I listen to a lot of kinds of music. I like balanced sound. I just want moderate bass.

Uhh, I did explicitly state headphones and not IEMs, so don't know why you had to clarify that.

Anyways, one of my favourite $50 IEMs is the MEElectronics A151P Generation 2 (P version includes 1-button universal remote and mic). It's simply excellent for the sound that it offers. It's a smooth, mid-centric sound; but it does have a decent amount of bass, despite it being a balanced armature IEM.

Another great choice is the Brainwavz M1 -- another great all-rounder, with an excellent set of accessories and great build to boot. Its sound IIRC (I already gave it away to a relative) is a fun, lively signature with a slight V-shape. It's got a nice, tactile punch, but it never becomes excessive in any way.

Yet another good choice is the HiFiMAN RE-300h, which has a nice, balanced sound at a $50 price tag. It's great at pretty much everything; however, I do feel rather uneasy with their build. The sound is also smooth, but bassier than the A151p.

These are just my top 3 choices. I've got a few others I know I'd love to recommend, but are either above your price range or don't fit your criteria. 

Hope this helps,
thatBeatsguy

May 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 22
  Uhh, I did explicitly state headphones and not IEMs, so don't know why you had to clarify that.

Anyways, one of my favourite $50 IEMs is the MEElectronics A151P Generation 2 (P version includes 1-button universal remote and mic). It's simply excellent for the sound that it offers. It's a smooth, mid-centric sound; but it does have a decent amount of bass, despite it being a balanced armature IEM.

Another great choice is the Brainwavz M1 -- another great all-rounder, with an excellent set of accessories and great build to boot. Its sound IIRC (I already gave it away to a relative) is a fun, lively signature with a slight V-shape. It's got a nice, tactile punch, but it never becomes excessive in any way.

Yet another good choice is the HiFiMAN RE-300h, which has a nice, balanced sound at a $50 price tag. It's great at pretty much everything; however, I do feel rather uneasy with their build. The sound is also smooth, but bassier than the A151p.

These are just my top 3 choices. I've got a few others I know I'd love to recommend, but are either above your price range or don't fit your criteria. 

Hope this helps,
thatBeatsguy

Thank you very much! About the headphones thing..I'm just making sure from time to time because I think I'll say something wrong. I might get judged lol but thanks for the suggestions

May 20, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Etymotic HF2, HF3, and HF5 IEMs drop under $50 on eBay all the time.  I bought a $40 extra pair of HF2s to have handy in my car for grocery shopping, etc.  These sound very close to my much more expensive Etymotic ER4P IEMs.  I think these may fit your taste as they're definitely not bass heavy.  If you're willing to be patient and watch eBay, I'd highly recommend these. 

I've not heard them, but the Etymotic MC2, MC3, and MC5 are more in your price range regularly, and have a fairly high rating on Joker's list.

May 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 22
  Etymotic HF2, HF3, and HF5 IEMs drop under $50 on eBay all the time.  I bought a $40 extra pair of HF2s to have handy in my car for grocery shopping, etc.  These sound very close to my much more expensive Etymotic ER4P IEMs.  I think these may fit your taste as they're definitely not bass heavy.  If you're willing to be patient and watch eBay, I'd highly recommend these. 

Well, I may not have Etymotics myself, but I've tried similar-sounding BA IEMs, and sure, they may not be bass-heavy, but IMO they're definitely bass-light.

May 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 22
I might get the brainwavz hm1. From what I've seen they're pretty good. Thanks for the help!

May 21, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 22

Xiaomi Pistons are well regarded too, though I personally have no experience with these.

I have a pair of Xiaomi Pistons 2. They sound great for their price to say the least. And they have an inline mic and and 3 button volume/ song control.

Slightly V shaped sound. Decently extended and prominent bass but not near bass head levels. Vocals seem a tad distant and veiled. Mids are the weak point IMO- I'm not saying they're bad, because they're not, just the lows and highs stand out more. The highs are crisp but not harsh. Overall they have great sound for what... 25 bucks? Sometimes I prefer the Pistons sound presentation over my HD380 Pro's. I definitely recommend them for that price range... and they smell like chocolate new.

Good luck in your search, ImTheSmallKid.

May 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 22
Brainwavz M1* I checked the xiaomi pistons as well and they look really premium for such a low price. They have an even lower price here in my country. I plan on getting the brainwavz m1 though. If possible, I'm going to get them both and just sell or give away the one I don't prefer using. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back