Good IEM???
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SgtE

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am searching for a good IEM that I can use on the road with my MP3-player (Monolith Premium MX-7000).
I currently own koss portapro, and I love their sound signature, and everything else about them except the size (which is why I am looking for the right IEM).
Is there an IEM on the market that won't dissapoint me if I would compare it with the portapro's?
I have been peeking on the UM2 and super.fi 5 pro - and through reviews have come to the conclusion that they probably sound about the same.?

I was going for the shure e4 but a friend had the opportunity to listen to them and he confirmed what all reviews state - weak bass..

So the choice seems to stand between super.fi or UM2. Or should I settle with the portapro? Are these really worth that extra money spent?

Any answer is much appreciated!

/e

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm an "IEM person" who just this month got a pair of Portapro's ... and I'd like to add to Jagorev's recommendations that you might want to be patient at first and take the time to appreciate your IEM's. Your IEMs shouldn't be like a "one night stand." Because even excellent ones might not blow you away in the same way that hearing PortaPro's for the first time did for me (what a pleasant surprise that was, from such a value-priced headphone). The initial reaction to IEMs won't necessarily be in direct proportion to the price you pay for them.

Have you listened to any in-ear phones (not earbuds), low-end or high-end, before? If you have, that might help you manage your initial expectations. If you haven't, give them time. The isolation and fit count for a lot. They won't leak noise, in either direction. The details will become apparent, and you might find that you're not cranking the volume as much as with open headphones -- but you're discovering things in your favorite music you hadn't realized were there.

The low-profile fit and portability will also be nice when you're on the go. I hope you get something you really like.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister
what about some E500?

Not availabe, are they?
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the answers!!!

So you think I could choose either one of super.fi and UM2 and not feel dissapointed when comparing sound quality to portapro?

Which one do you think is the better of these two? Or maybe a completely another model?

UM2 costs a little more (or say about 100 more) but I like the smaller profile - is there anything else that favourizes it? in your opinion...

I havent actually heard the e4 myself - and therefor don't exactly know what weak bass sound like. Can anyone confirm that it doesn't sound nowhere near the bass of portapro? I hear the detail in these are supposed to be great!

/e

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 25
*bump*

C'mon pple, someone has to have an opinion on this matter!!!

Will I like UM2 more than Super.FI 5 Pro (or the other way around)? Will I defenitely not like the E4 if I like one or both of the above stated?
Is the 100$ extra for UM2 justified somehow?

Or should I stick with my portapro?

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 25
The E4's bass isn't going to be any where near the quantity of the Porta Pro. It will be tighter/more controlled, more resolving, and possibly extend deeper (I've never compared the two directly so I can't say for sure on the extension).

I think what the guys are really trying to get at is that you've already popped your cherry with the Porta Pro and gotten into mid/hi-fi so you're not likely to get the same "WOW" factor as when you first got the Porta Pro. When you go to an IEM you're going to experience a couple things. The soundstage will be smaller, and there will be less airyness to the sound. Compared to the Porta Pro, however, you'll have more detail, better timbre, etc., and of course isolation. I really dig the isolation factor of IEMs. It allows me to be in my own little musical world, no matter where I am.

The UM2 and SF5P definitely don't sound the same, but either one would probably work for you. They have pretty similar tonal characteristics in that both have boosted bass and treble compared to the midrange. The SF5P does have a larger soundstage, but the UM2 is no slouch. There's really no way to tell which you'd prefer until you've heard them both.

For the record, I prefer the E4 to all the other universal IEMs currently on the market. It has a very refined sound with a flat response that I really like. I like the upcomming E500 at least as well as my UE-10 (from what I heard I like them better, but will leave my final decision there until I've gotten to spend more time with them). It's really hard to say if you would like the E4 more or less than the UM2 or the Super.Fi. I always thought I was a basshead until I really started getting into hi-fi. I still like bass, but prefer accuracy to quantity. If you can hold out, the E500 due in May has both. Also for the record, despite prefering the E4 to the SF5P and the UM2, I still enjoy all of them (although I don't own the UM2).

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 25
I listened to Porta Pros for years. After several weeks with E4's, for kicks I tried the Porta Pros back on and I literally thought my kid damaged them or something. No detail whatsoever and the sloppiest bass I have ever heard. I was truly stunned how my tastes had changed. As a result, I can't deal with the PP's anymore or only in an emergency. Like the poster above, I much prefer accuracy now.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 25
spyro: Wow, that I didn't expect to hear!!! Cool, maybe I should wait a month because I have the opportunity to listen to E4 then... Or maybe I should wait two months for E500???

Jasper: thanks for clarifiying!! But there is one thing, since I didn't spend a lot of money on portapro, I WANT to go 'wow' when buying something for 300$... Do you think I would go 'wow' if I listened to E500?

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
spyro: Wow, that I didn't expect to hear!!! Cool, maybe I should wait a month because I have the opportunity to listen to E4 then... Or maybe I should wait two months for E500???

Jasper: thanks for clarifiying!! But there is one thing, since I didn't spend a lot of money on portapro, I WANT to go 'wow' when buying something for 300$... Do you think I would go 'wow' if I listened to E500?

I'm not saying there isn't going to be a WOW factor, but it won't likely be as big. Over time, however, you'll really be able to appreciate the differences. The E500 would be a pretty big WOW.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 25
juzmister: well, I'm a hard working man and can probably save up the extra money over a period of two months,,, i hope... =)

Jasper: so you think 200$ more for e500 is well worth it over um2? *my girlfriend would go berserk if see saw this conversation
blink.gif

Separate question: any of you know how long a IEM will last (i am almost meticulous)?

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 25
I have the ER-4P, quite dated (my dad got them in 2001, and were sitting in a cabinet for 5 years basically) and it was quite a nice surprise to know we had a pair. Since it's an older version the wires are quite thick, and with my shallow (but wide) earholes, the stiff wires sometimes pull the cans out of my ears when I turn my head or engage in much head movement activity (it's just me though, my friend who has smaller but deeper earholes has no problems like that).

That minor gripe aside, I love the sound they give, great highs, mids, and GREAT detail. I'm no audio buff like some guys here but I can detect quality when I hear it. My dad's company deals with high end studio audio equipment so I'm exposed to a bit of it every now and then. Like pretty much everyone here says, they lack bass, not in terms of depth, but impact and volume (if that's the right term). The bass is there, you can HEAR it, in great detail in fact, but not as prominent as highs and mids. Overall I still really like these cans.

A couple of days ago, I tried UM2s in a shop for about 20-30 minutes and I must say I would really like a pair after that tryout. Compared to the 4P the sound seemed 'fatter' and more rounded for me, but still had incredible detail (not quite the clinical detail given by the 4Ps though) and the bass was very nice indeed. Nice and accurate, it didn't seem boomy or muddled to me at all. The highs didn't seem as pronounced as with the 4Ps, but could have been due to the bass. I didn't really have time to extensively try them out. One last thing about the UM2s is that I found them to be extremely comfortable, and no matter how hard I shook my head they stayed in and sealed tight. If I did the same with my 4Ps they would have come out rather quickly! (please bear in mind that the versions out now don't have the same thick wires so it probably wouldn't be the same case).

I almost got the UM2s that day, but in Thailand the price was about $330 give or take $20, so I decided to ask my dad if he could get a distributor price from somewhere else
biggrin.gif
. No word on it yet, but I'm very tempted to get them. However, I would love to get more info about the Shure E500 before going through with the UM2 purchase and see how they stack up against each other.

I have never listened to the SF5Pros before, and I was interested in them at one point. But after seeing how they kind of stick out of your ear I looked for alternatives and found the (more expensive) UM2s. Judging by comments here, they are quite good as well, so I suggest maybe you should fish around and maybe search the forums for more info. Or if possible try them out somehow before making your decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
juzmister: well, I'm a hard working man and can probably save up the extra money over a period of two months,,, i hope... =)

Jasper: so you think 200$ more for e500 is well worth it over um2? *my girlfriend would go berserk if see saw this conversation
blink.gif

Separate question: any of you know how long a IEM will last (i am almost meticulous)?

I think the E500 is at least as good as the $1000 UE-10, so even if its street price is $500, it is worth them money.
biggrin.gif

If the girlfriend starts gripping, ask her how much her purse cost, or her shoes that wear out in 6 months to a year if she wears them regularly (and if she doesn't even worse, all that money just sitting there). I'd be truly amazed if she doesn't have a couple pairs of shoes worth over $200/pair and at least one purse that costs at least $300. We won't even start to get into jewelry....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back