Good Headphones?
Sep 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

beehgly

New Head-Fier
Just joined head-fi after browsing around a bit. Anyway, getting to the point, I just got my first pair of headphones earlier today, AKG k450. I'm finding it ok so far, however, after some mixed reactions from my dad about it being very "muffled", I decided to do some research online and ended up here. (Luckily I didn't pick the Skullcandy headphones at least. I've not used them before but I think my 450 would sound better)

If I'm looking for something with good bass (but not too overpowering) or something someone would recommend for listening to stuff from Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden... and such... Looking for something between $100 to $200 if possible. I would save up for something more expensive if it's truly worth it though!

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 6
You can probably buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's used around $150 if you shop around.  They are a really great sounding headphone for not a lot of money.  Very comfortable too, and well made.

I have Sennheiser HD800s, AKG 701's, Denon AFD7000, and have have recently owned Sennheiser HD650s, Grado GS1000's, and Sony MDR-5000s.  My two favorites are the Sennheiser HD800s and the Beyer DT880's.  The Sennheiser HD800s are harder to match with the right amp; the Beyer DT880's are good on just about any amp I have tried.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 6
This is in the Portable Headphone and IEMs sub forum, so I assume you want a good set of portable cans or IEMs then?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 6
I was told Maxwells when I first started as well, they wouldn't hurt. The First Headphones I got were HD201's and they really got me into this hobby. I still use them even if I'm currently moving up the ladder.

I say try and start small, don't go blow $200 on something you've not tried. Not saying you won't be happy, but you might get something you didn't expect. Or you might hate it. So yeah try and audition them first before you drop so much money OR start small and work your way up.

Build you rig!
Another thing you might want to consider is getting your full set up together before you start looking to spend a bunch of money on expensive cans. Start with something like an HD 201 or Maxwell dhp-II and use the rest of your money on an amp/source. Spread your money evenly for best results, the best part is if you did like I did last night and just get someones older(vintage even) reciever/amp/DAC/CD player you can probably get it for cheap or free( like I did). This will give you a nice base to build on to achieve a high quality set of audio equipment on a strict budget!

Work the Marketplace!
Head fi has one of the best marketplaces for audio equipment on the internet! Not even ebay or Craigslist can compare with this site! The deals you find on their can range from "Pretty good" to "OMG I spent almost nothing for this!"

If it sounds great but looks terrible does it matter?
Cosmetics don't mean much if it will never leave your room, and often you can get better used headphones that have a little damage for MUCH cheaper. This is great for you and the person who is selling, most of the time they are upgrading and their old faithfuls have a few scars, just means they were loved right?

Your ears are what matters!
I'm a little bit of a broken record on this but it's an absolutely important fact that every new kid needs to learn, and one I was taught. YOU! Yes you! Your Ears matter, my opinion doesn't. Take it with a grain of salt and make up your own mind about how you feel about things. If you think X headphones are the best you've ever used and I disagree, well then our opinions differ due to different tastes. This is due to the completely subjective subject that is audio. So please and do your self a favor and make up your own mind, don't let others convince you will feel the same way they do.

Quote:
This is in the Portable Headphone and IEMs sub forum, so I assume you want a good set of portable cans or IEMs then?

Don't hold your breath, this forum has some of the most lax guidelines on where things should be posted.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmm... will keep the recommendations in mind, thanks for posting! :)
Yeah, posting here cause I'm looking for something not too bulky. Looks don't matter as long as it doesn't weigh my head down :)

Oh yeah, I've never bought an amp before. Problem is, I live in Singapore and generally, ordering online= shipping which brings up the price by quite a bit. Depending on the stores, it can be cheaper to buy stuff locally rather than buying overseas.

From what everyone's saying, sounds like maxwell's headphones are pretty decent! I've just bought the AKG one that I was recommended to buy by a store though, would the maxwell dhp be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back