good headphones with the ipod?
Sep 25, 2002 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

New Head-Fier
the headphones that came with my ipod just broke (right side is mute) and i need new headphones... good ones. i prefer ear bud or canal types; i dont like to carry around big headphones - i can deal with the type that clip over your ear though.

i would love to get a pair of Etymotic's ER-4S, but they're a tad pricey. the most i would like to spend is... i guess around $80. i was generally satisfied with the ipod headphones, should i stick with those? they broke kinda quickly
mad.gif
, i only got them in june (maybe winding them vertically across the ipod while plugged in was a bad storage idea :\ ? )

anyways, can anybody recommend somthing to me?

thanks.

Sep 25, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 21
Keeping it fairly simple, and staying with earbud/canal-style cans...

If you have a newer iPod w/remote control, you will probably want a 'phone with a short cord. For that your best options are the Sony MDR-E888SP, or Sony MDR-EX70SP - both with 'short-cords' for use with remotes. Although these are both from the same manufacturer, they are completely different designs. They can be found at around $75, and $55 respectively, give or take a few bucks. Sony has less expensive models with the "SP" designation also. Aiwa's HP-VX100 has a short-cord too at ~$25.

If you have an older iPod without the remote, you have more options ranging from the Sennheiser MX-500 (~$17), the "LP" versions of the above-cited Sony's (cheaper than the "SP" versions), Ety ER6's (~$130), and of course the TOTL Ety ER4P's/S's (~$270+).

Good luck!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by guest
i prefer ear bud or canal types; i dont like to carry around big headphones - i can deal with the type that clip over your ear though.

I would definitely try to get hold of a pair of KOSS KSC-35. IMO, they sound much better than any earbud on the market (save the Etys, of course), are more comfortable, and are only around $25.

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 21
dang, double-post. sorry.

Sep 25, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 21
I use the KSC-35's with my Nomad Jukebox 3 and I have to agree with the other posts - with the exception of the Etymotics models, these definitely beat any earbud out there.

If your Ipod sounds anything like my Nomad then you can be sure they will be a good match.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 21
KSC-35
smily_headphones1.gif

And no, they shouldn't affect your battery life much - if anything, they should improve it since they'll probably have a higher impedance than the crapophones that come with an iPod (I've measured crapophones down to 8 ohms!). If you're really worried, get an amp. I've gotten up to 12 hours on my iPod using an amp.

Oh, and could a mod please move this to the Headphones forum? Shame on you MacDEF, you should know to do things like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 21
My vote goes to Mx500. Simply because I don't find ksc35 to be very comfortable. The mx500 fits nicely in my ear because I guesss they are slightly larger than normal earphone. The sound is also v good. Smooth, abit bassy dan nice treble. Can be had for abt $17

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 21
For comfort: Portapro instead of KSC-35...
cool.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 21
The whole comfort thing really illustrates the "different strokes" principle
wink.gif
I personally find the KSC-35 to be some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. They don't have the klunky headband, which is a big bonus in my book, they're lightweight, and they're more secure for me than headband-cans. I really do forget I'm wearing them
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 21
I've never tried out the KSC-35, just responded to Guyferds discomfort statement... (to me the Portapros are quite comfortable).

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 21
getting the mx500 would be just plain stupid... who needs a volume control on the cord? For portable, i simply use the mx400. It is so cheap I even have no problem with using them when it is raining. (I always have a spare lying around)

Cheaper than a cd!!

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 21
Koss KSC-35
Senheisser MX500's
Grado SR-60's

Can't go wrong with any one these I use all of thes with my iPod plus the Ety 4P's. The 500's for the gym. The KSC and Grado sitting around. And the Ety's when I don't want to be disturbed.

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 21
I always hear rave reviews for the Koss KSC35, but they are sadly not made anymore.

Has anyone tried the KSC50s and KSC55s? Both look good for wearing out and about, and if the sound is good too, then they could be a great buy for $20 at headroom.com.

Can anyone recomend them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back