Good Headphones For Reasonable Price.
Jul 4, 2005 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dipin

New Head-Fier
Hi to everyone. This is my first post in this forum, so bare with me.

I use to have a Panasonic RP-HT711 for 2 years, until one day, one side stopped working. Those were a decent pair of headphones, and I bought them because I taught they were good, I did no research and didn't know enough about headphones back then. Now its time to upgrade to a better pair, I looked at noise isolation headphones (in ear canals), didn't like it (it was very uncomfortable). I also checked out noise canceling, they are good, but I found they didn't have good sound. (Ex: Bass.)

Ok so now I need your help ladies and gentlemen. What do you recommend; I like hip hop, R&B, etc. I want something with good bass; I also like rock some classics, etc. so I want something with good mid and high range also.

My budget is not very high, below 200$ USD preferably. If I have to go higher I don't mind, I just don't want to sacrifice quality for price. Oh and I don’t listen to music very loud, so high DB is not necessary.

These are some that I saw on eBay and I like:

- Sony MDR-V6
- Sony MDR-V500DJ
- Sony MDR-V700DJ
- Sony MDR-7502
- Sennheiser HD-280
- Sennheiser EH-250
- Sennheiser EH-2200
- Sennheiser HD-545

Tell me which ones you like, and don’t like and which ones you think I should also look at.

Well that’s my question, thanks for looking and/or answering my question.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 18
AKG K240 Studio bests most, if not all [I haven't heard the HD280's], of the headphones on that list and cost ~$100 USD new. You could spend the other $100 on an amp.
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 18
Alessandro MS1 is an awsome headphone for 99USD shipped. I don't know how it compares to the AKG K240 since I've never heard it, but the MS1 is way better than the Sony MDR-V6. Do a search and you will find much useful advice on choosing budget headphones.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO K240s, SR80 and amped KSC75 beat all those.

I agree, especially with the first two choices.

Don't waste your time with the Sennheisers. Go on ahead and get yourself some "groovalizer" K240s or some really exciting SR80s and get an amp.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO K240s, SR80 and amped KSC75 beat all those.

Probably, but if he needs isolation, the grado and koss may not be a good idea.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 18
I concur that the KSC75 sounds great amped. Surprisingly good all arounders too.

On the upper end of your budget. I noticed that Amazon has the refurb Sennheiser HD 600 for $200. I have not heard these headphones, but they are very well regarded.

I have the Alessandro MS-1 and recommend them too. Great for rock. Great for R&B. Good for hip-hop. Great mids, good highs, nice bass impact.

Here's a different recommendation: One headphone that really surprised me is the Technics RP-DJ1200. My friend got them for $70 shipped. If you can find them for under $100 they're worth it IMHO. Pushed as a DJ headphone, they're bass heavy, but not necessarily in a negative way. They're fun to listen to if you want pronounced bass. They're surprisingly musical compared to my MS-1. Worked well with hip-hop. electronic, and rock. They hold up well. Mids aren't quite as good. Way better than the MDR-V6/7506 though. That can sounded hollow in comparison.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 18
The AKG K240s are look nice and some nice specs, and the Grado SR80 & Alessandro MS-1 look kind of Big, and the koss KSC75 look cheap, but I will still consider every single one, but the AKG K240s more than the other two.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

And can you tell me what so good about the AKG K240s?

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 18
The K240 Studio have decent soundstaging, a beautiful midrange, clear slightly rolled off highs, and a nice warm slightly bloated bass. It is not a headphone without flaws, but has a very nice sound and is unbeatable at that price.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dipin
the Grado SR80 & Alessandro MS-1 look kind of Big

While I certainly don't think the grados/alessandros are the prettiest phones (they are pretty ugly IMHO), I definately don't think they are big. They are not bigger than the AKG's, but I admit that the AKG's look much, much better.

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 18
I didnt see your $200 roof... didnt read your original post very carefully....

DT770-80 + govibe
K240s + govibe or PA2
SR80 + govibe or PA2
MS1 + govibe or PA2
KSC75 + pimeta
used MS2 + govibe

dont even bother with the sonys on that list, the V6 is the only one worth your time... but it seems yo ucan cerytainly afford better.

Garrett

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 18
The Sony MDR-V700 stinks like poop.

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dipin
The AKG K240s are look nice and some nice specs, and the Grado SR80 & Alessandro MS-1 look kind of Big, and the koss KSC75 look cheap, but I will still consider every single one, but the AKG K240s more than the other two.

The AKG 240s is rocking a nicer look. I haven't heard them, but they seem like a worthy recommendation that would gel with your musical tastes.

The Grado/Alessandro cans have a polarizing look. I love the old school, almost DIY vibe. They are light and not too big though.

The Koss KSC75 looks cheap because they ARE cheap. However, they seem built well enough. The ear clip certainly is sturdy. More importantly, they sounds great.

The Sony MDR-V700 is an outstanding headphone... for me to poop on.

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
The AKG 240s is rocking a nicer look. I haven't heard them, but they seem like a worthy recommendation that would gel with your musical tastes.

The Grado/Alessandro cans have a polarizing look. I love the old school, almost DIY vibe. They are light and not too big though.

The Koss KSC75 looks cheap because they ARE cheap. However, they seem built well enough. The ear clip certainly is sturdy. More importantly, they sounds great.

The Sony MDR-V700 is an outstanding headphone... for me to poop on.

Triumph rocks.

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Triumph rocks.

Triumph makes headphones? i can't find any info about this, can you please post a link to Triumph's Home Page please. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back