Good headphones below $200
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PallidaMors

New Head-Fier
This is my first post in this forum and I was wondering which good headphones could I get with $200. Mainly, I would be using them for everyday activities like going to work or taking the bus, so I think closed headphones would be what I need. Also, I usually listening to different genres of rock, like hard rock or progressive. I would like a headphone with good bass and overall good sound. Right now I own a Sony Walkman S545 and a Sennheiser hd448, which I got as a gift a year ago. Hope you guys could help me. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 11
I see that you said you currently have the HD448. What would you like to improve on from those? In terms of bass, did you feel they were good or lacking some punch/quantity/quality? Just trying to get a feel for what you mean by good bass.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 11
I really like how the hd448 sound overall, but I would like something with more bass. The main problem (as I could even read from the box) is that their main focus are mids and not bass. Maybe I'm looking for something with a potent bass, yet with the overall clarity of my current headphones.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Hmmm... that does help. Although I am not sure how much more bass you will want. The ATH M50 is a good start. Much more defined bass than the HD448. Beyond that would be the Ultrasone HFI 580 with a little more bass. Beyond that is the Denon D1100. And the most I've heard is the ATH Pro700 MK2.

I would say your safest bet is going to be starting with the M50 or 580. They have more defined and punchy bass than the HD448, but still with a lot of clarity. Both are very well known around Head-Fi, so if you end up wanting something more, just return them and use them as reference to get recommendations for your next pair.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Forget the M50, HFI580 or any other full sized headphone. You will look like a dork in public. Sennheiser HD25-1 II is what I recommend. They sound fantastic, seal well and look nice and compact on ones head.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Forget the M50, HFI580 or any other full sized headphone. You will look like a dork in public. Sennheiser HD25-1 II is what I recommend. They sound fantastic, seal well and look nice and compact on ones head.

That's all opinion though. The OP is coming from the HD448 so they are obviously fine with that size. The M50 and 580 are hardly any bigger, and they fold up. I'd say they look a little more spiffy than the Sennheisers, but that's just me. The OP could also get the Ultrasone DJ1. The DJ1 is the same as the 580, just with a much cooler look and a coiled cord.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 11
That's all opinion though. The OP is coming from the HD448 so they are obviously fine with that size. The M50 and 580 are hardly any bigger, and they fold up. I'd say they look a little more spiffy than the Sennheisers, but that's just me. The OP could also get the Ultrasone DJ1. The DJ1 is the same as the 580, just with a much cooler look and a coiled cord.

I missed the 448 part, however with a budget of $200 and judging the OP is using them for portable use (so it seems), I think it would be a shame to pass up on one of the best portable headphones I've ever personally heard (HD25's).

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the comparison, crinacle. It was really well written and very clear. I think I'll go for the m50. Though the hfi 580 seems to have better sound overall, the biggest selling points of the m50 was it's sturdiness, comfort and isolation. Because I'm outside almost all day, these characteristics make it more worthy to my needs. Thank you a lot for the help guys, I'm glad I joined this community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back