Good headphones <$500 for gaming?
Jan 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

233req

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones under <$500 for gaming, my top priorities are soundstage and comfort. I don't mind buying from the used market if you have any recommendations that are outside of my price range. I'm working on building a crazy surround gaming setup so I need a great pair of headphones that will keep me immersed!

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the recommendation, I have a studio quality desktop microphone and I'm looking for a more professional grade headphone so I don't really need a headset. This is also for a computer setup just to clear any confusion regarding compatibility issues.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 18
  Thanks for the recommendation, I have a studio quality desktop microphone and I'm looking for a more professional grade headphone so I don't really need a headset. This is also for a computer setup just to clear any confusion regarding compatibility issues.

I personally wouldn't spend as much as $500 on gaming headphones since you'll end up processing a lot of other stimuli to notice the SQ differences, also the virtual surround software is more important than the headphone's imaging capability anyway. That said, you can just get the AKG Q701 - imaging's good and it has decent bass response.

Some people don't like the bumps on the headband but I've never had a problem with those on any of AKG's headphones, and I really like the self-adjusting headband, but then again I keep my hair trimmed enough to not make any headphone a tight fit but still thick enough that I don't feel the bumps at all. YMMV.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 18

I personally wouldn't spend as much as $500 on gaming headphones since you'll end up processing a lot of other stimuli to notice the SQ differences, also the virtual surround software is more important than the headphone's imaging capability anyway. That said, you can just get the AKG Q701 - imaging's good and it has decent bass response.

Some people don't like the bumps on the headband but I've never had a problem with those on any of AKG's headphones, and I really like the self-adjusting headband, but then again I keep my hair trimmed enough to not make any headphone a tight fit but still thick enough that I don't feel the bumps at all. YMMV.

I agree with this. To me sound quality in competitive games don't matter that much, as long as soundstage and imaging is good. But for those games when you want that immersive feeling good SQ can make a difference.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Disclaimer....I've become a bit of a fanboy but after reading the Philips Fidelio X2 thread last night, it seems that a handful of people are using and really liking this headphone for gaming. Great bass and mids and a really nice soundstage...I can see them being a quality gaming headphone and I will be trying them myself this weekend when I have some time to play a bit. Since I play online with friends on my PS4 I'd need to figure out a mic solution if I want to use them while playing with them. But there shouldn't be a problem playing alone. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 18
  Disclaimer....I've become a bit of a fanboy but after reading the Philips Fidelio X2 thread last night, it seems that a handful of people are using and really liking this headphone for gaming. Great bass and mids and a really nice soundstage...I can see them being a quality gaming headphone and I will be trying them myself this weekend when I have some time to play a bit. Since I play online with friends on my PS4 I'd need to figure out a mic solution if I want to use them while playing with them. But there shouldn't be a problem playing alone. 

I'm gonna go the route of the X2 as well. Everything I've read on em reinforces what I'm looking for in an open backed headphone. For a mic I would highly suggest a modmic. I have the v2 version and it's still going strong.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 18

I'm gonna go the route of the X2 as well. Everything I've read on em reinforces what I'm looking for in an open backed headphone. For a mic I would highly suggest a modmic. I have the v2 version and it's still going strong.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. And now that you mention it, I think there's some people using it with the X2. I remember reading something about it on the X2 thread but I didn't see a review of sorts, just a mention that it was being used with the X2 with good results.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 18
  Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. And now that you mention it, I think there's some people using it with the X2. I remember reading something about it on the X2 thread but I didn't see a review of sorts, just a mention that it was being used with the X2 with good results.

I think the V-Moda Boompro is your best bet with the X2
http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I picked up some Sennheiser HD598 for this purpose. So far I am happy. The positional audio is great and at least for me the comfort is about as good as it gets on the order of forgetting-I-have-them-on comfort. They are also a lot cheaper than $500 and I don't feel like I'm missing very much by noting spending more. Worth looking at for sure.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 18
T50rp... the ones I use

Othrodynamic drivers. Bring out every single little tiny detail in everything. As well as having very good bass. Even as normal HiFi headphones they are one of the best for under $500, easily beat out $500 headphones in sound.

They cost about $120. Need some modding, but even then, I got mine for $159 premodded.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 18
T50rp... the ones I use

Othrodynamic drivers. Bring out every single little tiny detail in everything. As well as having very good bass. Even as normal HiFi headphones they are one of the best for under $500, easily beat out $500 headphones in sound.

They cost about $120. Need some modding, but even then, I got mine for $159 premodded.

From where?

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 18
From where?

My modded ones are Mayflower version 1s. Got them from NCIX during a sale.

For stock ones look on amazon or B&H. The price varries from month to month

Modding them yourself takes maybe 25 mins a side. Huge community right here on head-fi. More mods then you can imagine.

And trust me, if you don't need open cans, these are purely the best you can buy for value. I've tried many $250+ (at least) cans from many many companies.

I mean of course there are better out there, but then you're looking into the $500+ range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back