Good full-size headphones with warm, non-sibilant sound sig
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dimisam

Head-Fier
Note: I had started an identical thread that got 0 replies, so I decided to start a new thread with a less specific title.

Hi,
I was listening to my partial markl mod d2000s and was experiencing quite sibilant, piercing "s" and "t" sounds (as well as piercing percussion) to the point where I had to EQ certain tracks to "treble reducer" (and this really deadens all the track) in itunes so that my ears didn't hurt- especially for trance and some vocal tracks. If I don't EQ these tracks, then I have to listen to them at a very quiet volume. The amp I use them with is a headfive. I've been using my unamped atrio m5 before this (and I really like their sound sig). They have none of the painful sibilance. Any suggestions on a warm full size can that has a sound sig like the atrios but deliver a good soundstage?

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried the Sennheiser HD600's / 650's? They have a warm signature.

I'm sorry you didn't get any replies on your previous thread, and for the extreme sibilance on your D2000's.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this your rig?

Ipod 5.5 > Headfive > modded D2000

Or, are you using some other source?

And, how exactly is your D2000 modded?

Yep that's the rig. The mod they have is the dampened rear driver mod and the tapered, stuffed earpad mod.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah the senns are a good bet

Thanks for the Senn suggestion guys. How are the Senns in the bass department? I'm not asking for straight up stupid, mind numbing bass that hides all the other spectrum frequencies, but I do want a phone that doesn't have a weak reputation for impactful, defined bass since I do listen to a lot of electronica- mainly trance. However I also listen to a wide range of other genres- everything from experimental rock to indian classical.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 16
The Senns are warm sounding, but I doubt you'd get the bass you're wanting from the HD600, and I doubt the Headfive would satisfactorily amp the HD650. I've owned the HD580, HD650, and Headfive.

I've owned the Proline 650 and would not consider Ultrasones warm, but FWIR the HFI780 may be worth considering, but at a slight risk of sibilance.

If I were you, I'd first try more mods with the D2000. Maybe add fiberloft and/or a fabric on top of the dynamat. I don't recall the type of fabric that I read having been used successfully with the D2000.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senns are warm sounding, but I doubt you'd get the bass you're wanting from the HD600, and I doubt the Headfive would satisfactorily amp the HD650. I've owned the HD580, HD650, and Headfive.

I've owned the Proline 650 and would not consider Ultrasones warm, but FWIR the HFI780 may be worth considering, but at a slight risk of sibilance.

If I were you, I'd first try more mods with the D2000. Maybe add fiberloft and/or a fabric on top of the dynamat. I don't recall the type of fabric that I read having been used successfully with the D2000.

Appreciate the info 1Time. Doing a quick search, I found the ALO modded HFI780. Any idea whether this mod will be detrimental/beneficial w.r.t sibilance and warm sound.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appreciate the info 1Time. Doing a quick search, I found the ALO modded HFI780. Any idea whether this mod will be detrimental/beneficial w.r.t sibilance and warm sound.

I haven't taken the time to read much about the HFI780 vs ALO modded HFI780. So I really don't know how they compare regarding sibilance and warmth. Here is a thread about the ALO modded HFI780.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 16
I sold the Denon D2000 for the same reason as you have problems with them: sibilance (and some other issues).
Then I bought the AKG K601, and was very happy with them. It's warmer than the D2000, has a tighter and more defined bass, upfront mids and smooth treble.
But the overall sound is not very impactful. They were great with most of my music: rock, pop and americana.
With heavier rock, they matched not too well.
A headphone is always a compromise, you won't get everything you want.

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K501 is warm and not sibilant at all. K601 must be nearly the same with added bass.

I agree. I also agree with the hd600 recommendations, it being warmer than the k501 (although I prefer the k501 over the hd600 myself). Another possibility would be an ath ad2000. Warm, lush mids and excellent highs without sibilance.

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Almost starting to sound like my standard reply nowadays, but I think the Beyer DT150 fits your description just perfectly. Can't comment on the Atrios as I haven't heard those. The DT150 is very pleasant to listen to, highs being laid back, yet with the detail and sparkle definitely being there, but not fatiguing.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 16
Some won't agree but my GS-1000 have a warm sound presentation to them. They are recabled though and tube amped. Even my DAC uses a tube so there is no digital harshness to be found in my audio chain. On the other hand I also use them with my modded iBasso D2 and while it's definitely not _that_ warm it's not harsh either. Some think the opposite and while it could of course be true to their ears, I think it's because of the used source, amp and probably cables in combination with the picky GS-1000's.

Even warmer (in fact: a lot warmer) is the K240 Sextetts. Sometimes I think it's even too much, but they stay really enjoyable nontheless.

Oh and what about RS-1's? HD-6x0's are quite dark... don't know if I would really call them warm. On the other hand if HD-6x0's could be called "dark", the RS-1's could be called "bright" maybe. Maybe you should give them a try and see how you like them and how they work for you. You know... it's always depending on the wanted degree of warmth and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back