Good full size headphone match for Meier Audio 2Move
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dogteal

Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to find a decent pair of headphones that would match up nicely using my 2Move to power them. Currently I'm considering the
AKG 701, the Denon AH-D2000 (maybe the D5000 used?), The Sennheiser HD650 and last but not least, the Beyerdynamic DT 880. I would like to keep the purchase in the $300 ball park, unless something exceptional comes along but I don't want to go over $400 if possible.

The type of music I listen to pretty much includes everything but with more of a leaning toward indie rock. That being said I'm not really interested in Grado's since they tend to be a little to forward for my taste.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 12
you should hear Ultrasone PROline750 pair with corda 2MOVE first, before pull the trigger for any other cans there, dogteal...
smile.gif
other than that i guess DT880 are good too paired with 2MOVE's, the other's (maybe) aren't to match with it...
icon10.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm listening to the Corda 2Move with Shure E530 and think it's great, although no amp is just fine with the Shures.

I also have SR-225's that to my ear really sound great, but you didn't want Grado.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Ok so that is 2 votes for the Ultrasone 750's. Does that mean that the 2Move just does'nt have what it takes to really make the Denons, AKGs, or Senns sing the way they should?

If it makes a difference I would be running an IC to 1/8" from my Rega Apollo to the 2Move.

My problem with the 750's is that they really seem like a hit or miss type of headphone.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 12
i've used beyer dt990 250ohm and dt880 250ohm with headsix before, and i really liked the sound of both. assuming 2move is better than headsix, i think dt880 will sound great with 2move.
dt990 is better than dt880 for rock imo.
didnt really like hd650 with headsix.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've used beyer dt990 250ohm and dt880 250ohm with headsix before, and i really liked the sound of both. assuming 2move is better than headsix, i think dt880 will sound great with 2move.
dt990 is better than dt880 for rock imo.
didnt really like hd650 with headsix.

Would you say the DT880 is an easier headphone to drive than the HD650's aswell as the Denon's and 701's?

Somone in another thread said they enjoyed the D5000's with their 2Move, I would assume the D2000's would be that much easier to power.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 12
I use my 2MOVE with HD580s and Ety ER4Ss. I don't have the experience to describe the sound and have nothing meaningful to compare this setup to, but I can say I am VERY happy with the sound of both of these cans with the 2MOVE.

FWIW, I read somewhere here that Jan is a big Beyer fan. I have also read that the 2MOVE is fairly neutral and thus will not substantially alter the sound signature of any headphone used with it.

I think the key to deciding what you like/want and what works with your rig is to try as many different headphones as you can and use your ears as the final arbiter.

Tiger(27)

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogteal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say the DT880 is an easier headphone to drive than the HD650's aswell as the Denon's and 701's?

Somone in another thread said they enjoyed the D5000's with their 2Move, I would assume the D2000's would be that much easier to power.

i'd say hd650 is a lot more difficult to drive than dt880 and dt990 250ohm.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogteal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently looking to find a decent pair of headphones that would match up nicely using my 2Move to power them. Currently I'm considering the
AKG 701, the Denon AH-D2000 (maybe the D5000 used?), The Sennheiser HD650 and last but not least, the Beyerdynamic DT 880. I would like to keep the purchase in the $300 ball park, unless something exceptional comes along but I don't want to go over $400 if possible.

The type of music I listen to pretty much includes everything but with more of a leaning toward indie rock. That being said I'm not really interested in Grado's since they tend to be a little to forward for my taste.

Thanks for the help.

Hi dogteal,

I use both a Corda Porta III and a Move, and they are good sounding amps but are not overly endowed with power. I don't know how the 2move would go with the Headphones you have mentioned, however based on what I have read from reliable sources, I think it would struggle to bring out the best in the 701's, 650s, or 880's (I haven't a clue re the Denons). I have the Proline 550 which matches perfectly with both my Meier amps and they do not suffer from sibilant highs which is what some of the Pro 750s detractors mention. I recently purchased AD900s and they sound fantastic with the portable amps.

If you want a balanced sound slightly bright (warmer than Grado) I can recommend the AD900 (massive soundstage) if you want a bass focussed sound (not doof doof by any means) then the Pro 550 are also incredible.

Cheers
Kernmac

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 12
My 2Move sounds great with my HFI-780s, but my HD 650s are really struggling with this amp. The Goldring 150 sounds pretty good with the 2Move as well. If you really have your eyes set on HD650s I wouldn't recommend the 2Move at all. Even though it can drive them to a reasonable volume, the sound quality I get is not even close to what I get when driving them with my Zero DAC's integrated amp.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Ok so the jury seems to be out on the HD650s and I would assume also the K701s since I have heard those are even more difficult to power.

I guess I would really like to hear some more comments about some Beyers and Denons, Anyone have experience with these and the 2Move?

thanks!

I'm still considering the 750s, hell there has been a pair in the fs/trade section for a month and only $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back