Good Electronica headphones
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nightowl217

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, So... First new thread! Anyway...
Im looking for some good headphones for the 'electronica' genre. I say this very generally because i listen to a wide variety of 'electronic' music that ranges from things like synth-rock to hardcore pew-pew-pew lazors techno. Anyway, I have been listening to most of my music through some Sennheiser HD595s and they seem... lacking. they sound AMAZING for all of my other favourites of music, like the beatles, the doors, and allot of classical and jazz-esque stuff. But... electronic music, they just cant keep up! While listening to electronic, i usually use my cheap-o JVC HA-RX300, and they sound decent, (for 16 dollars!) but not outstanding. (they sound MUCH better after some burn-in though.) So, ive been wondering where i should go next? Im not yet very 'knowledgeable' about headphones, and have only owned a few pairs, but im looking for something... more. (for electronic that is!)
Thanks!
-NOwl

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 15
Do you have a desktop amp or might consider buying one?  And what's your budget?

A couple I like are the Sony MDR-SA5000 and the Sennheiser HD-650.  But both need an amp.

To kick in some controversy, I love the HD-800 with electronica.  The bass is deep and tight.  Though I expect someone to disagree shortly.  :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Do you have a desktop amp or might consider buying one?  And what's your budget?

A couple I like are the Sony MDR-SA5000 and the Sennheiser HD-650.  But both need an amp.

To kick in some controversy, I love the HD-800 with electronica.  The bass is deep and tight.  Though I expect someone to disagree shortly.  :)

I'd agree, I feel that the HD800 fares better with electronica than rock, especially it it happens to feature an ambient,
  big airy number on the same album.

Reports of the HD800 being bass light have been grossly exaggerated in my opinion ~ they're not lean on impact
 in any sense of the word. The Beyer T1 for example has nothing more to add in that respect, if anything ~ less.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 15
I personally enjoy the HE-500. Considering their present price there is probably no better headphone for that money. Paired with an O2 if money is tight and Bob is your uncle....
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I'd like into Ultrasones and Denons, primarily.  I use the Ultrasone Pro 900 for electronic listening and I'm very happy with it.

This is sound advice.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Sorry I have been slow to respond, thank you all for the suggestions!
Well, i'm on more of a *tight* budget, and i don't have a desktop amp. Although, i do have a nice soundcard, and when im on the go i listen through a OGDroid with an amp.
To specify what i like: Im not a big fan of bass, but i like 'impact'. I think that alot of the detail of the song is in the mids, so i love crisp mids. I HATE overaccentuated highs.
I also like a *decent* soundstage, and dont mind a long burn in time.
From all the things ive looked at here, i think that the Ultrasone HFI-780 seems like the one for me, because of its fairly even response and price. I would LOVE to go for the HD 650s, but there out of my grasp for now...
Anyway, if you guys think i might be dissapointed by the HFI-780s, let me know!

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Definitely go for the Ultrasones if you want impact. Denon's can't compare in that aspect.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Definitely go for the Ultrasones if you want impact. Denon's can't compare in that aspect.

Disagree, heavily. Ultrasone have impact. Denons have impact. They compare just fine.

Also, OP just stated he doesn't want treble that rips him in half. Ultrasone has bullets for treble. Some love it. Some don't.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Admittedly, my experience with the D2000 was brief (<1 hour).

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 15
So happy, turns out, someone who was laid off from my dads work, ended up working at Denon, and shes giving me a sweet hookup on a pair of D2000s! can't wait to get them! Thanks for the suggestion MalVeauX! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back