Good DAP with streaming features and low budget?
Feb 12, 2020 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

carpler

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAP that has good sound quality but that also works well in streaming, using Tidal or Spotify, but also by accessing via wi-fi to a server where I have a large music library (of course when I'm at home).
Unfortunately, I have a limited budget, around € 200/250, which excludes most Android players that are around € 400/500.
Among the players in my price range, I seem to understand that there are well-sounding DAPs, but are often limited precisely in the streaming part, or due to the lack of dedicated apps or in any case for limited hardware.
I don't know much about the models out there: would you have anything to recommend? Is there anything valid to buy, or is it better to wait to have a larger budget?

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 28
I am looking for a DAP that has good sound quality but that also works well in streaming, using Tidal or Spotify, but also by accessing via wi-fi to a server where I have a large music library (of course when I'm at home).
Unfortunately, I have a limited budget, around € 200/250, which excludes most Android players that are around € 400/500.
Among the players in my price range, I seem to understand that there are well-sounding DAPs, but are often limited precisely in the streaming part, or due to the lack of dedicated apps or in any case for limited hardware.
I don't know much about the models out there: would you have anything to recommend? Is there anything valid to buy, or is it better to wait to have a larger budget?
If you can stretch an extra £50 then amp3 have got the dx160 from ibasso on clearance if that helps?

Failing that sony a105 is £259 on amazon in black but does have downsides, such as limited volume cap and not great battery. At least with amazon you can always try it and return it if it's not right.

Edit sorry missed that you said euro not pound.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 28
How about fiio m6?

Good question.
I don't know anything about the low-budget Fiio player: the M6, M7 and also the M9 are in (or close to) my budget.
Any opinion about the SQ of this player? The M6 has a Sabre DAC, M7 and M9 an AK DAC...
I haven't read much about these players, but I seem to understand that on the streaming front they are not the best ...

ANd what about the Shanling M2X? Is another DAP in the range: on SQ I know that Shanling usually makes good DAP, but on software and streaming front I don't know too much...

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 28
Don't forget about used LG phones.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 28
There should be a used V30 or V30+ in the sales forum for about 130 €, i think.
It's worth a look. :wink:

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 28
DX160

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 28
There should be a used V30 or V30+ in the sales forum for about 130 €, i think.
It's worth a look. :wink:

Thank you for suggestion. Also in my country there is some used LG V30 in a sales site with a good price (around 180€).
But I already own a not-so-old smartphone: why not use it with a portable DAC/AMP?

Thank you for the suggestion, but the DX160 is around 400€ in Italy: out of my budget...

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 28
Thank you for suggestion. Also in my country there is some used LG V30 in a sales site with a good price (around 180€).
But I already own a not-so-old smartphone: why not use it with a portable DAC/AMP?

Thank you for the suggestion, but the DX160 is around 400€ in Italy: out of my budget...
Just for a convienent purpose. :wink:
With streaming from amazon, i can go the whole day listening with the most headphones/iems.
To mention all option, why not take your smartphone and take a bluetooth amp like Es100 or FiiO Btr5?

For clarification, i'm a practitioner who won't go with 2 device by the chance to get all in one. :)

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 28
Afaik, the Shanling M2x can stream Tidal just like the M5s can. I prefer the price/performance ratio and sound quality of Shanling DAPs to other brands. Not sure if Tidal playback is buggy on a proprietary MTouch OS.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 28
Ifi hip dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back