Good comfy headphone with deep bass under $100?
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting a fullsize headphone, now that my IEM collection has been completed (for the time being).
I am looking for something under $100, with really good bass (maybe even a bass monster). I am more interested in something fun and warm, doesn't have to be analytical. Will be listening un-amped. If it offer characteristics (sound stage?) not found in IEM, that would be even better. My favorite IEM at the moment is Fischer Audio Eterna, that should give you an idea of my preference of sound.
Comfort is important - I have a fairly big head, therefor smaller headphones usually hurt my temple and ear lobes.
I read good things about ATH-M50. Does that have good sub- and mid-bass?
Thanks in advance.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read good things about ATH-M50. Does that have good sub- and mid-bass?

FWIR, the ATH-M50 is supposed to have very good, deep bass, but probably doesn't really blast the sound. I've really only heard good things about them, though.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 35
I'm in the same situation of the OP.. won't have to start a new topic hehe!!
looking for some deep bass Headphones for hip-hop/rap that I will be using wiht my Ipod touch in public.. so I need them to be closed and not too goofy/big
smily_headphones1.gif

any suggestions?

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-D1001 usually comes up in these discussions. Good sound quality with plenty of bass right out of the box, which can be further improved by Markl-type mods and cable change.

Any reliable place that has it for under US$100?

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 35
I enjoy my M50s a whole lot. But they are not bass monsters. They do produce nice deep and punchy bass. They remind me a little of the TF10 sort of. In that the highs are nice and the bass is nice and the mids are a little recessed. Not as much as the TF10 though. Soundstage isnt huge but they are closed cans and well, closed cans dont usually have much in the way of a large soundstage typically.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 35
How deep are M50's cups? Much deeper than D1000s, I hope?
I often find my ears hurting when using Sennheiser HD497.
I think D1000S is not for me (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/scr...ainful-253188/). I recall trying on AD700 one time, and it was very comfortable. But too bad AD700 doesn't have enough bass for me, though its open cans supposedly also gave very good sound stage...

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 35
ATH-AD700's are outstanding in terms of comfort, but their bass is weak for a number of reasons.

They serve as a great gaming phone, their sound stage is massive and precise.

I feel they are weak for listening to music though, unless the music you listen to doesn't apply much to that end of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back