Good Closed Headphones to Pair with my Fiio E12 (upgrading from ATH-M50) ?
Nov 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 60
or maybe i should just save and get a pair of Mad Dogs. 

would anyone like to tell me how much of a difference there is between the ATH-M50, the DT 770 250ohm and the Mad Dog? 

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 60
planar is in a different category...... you cant compare m50 and mad dog...... there are tons of info about mad dog in head fi.
I am curious to know, are you planning to use mad dog while commuting?

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 60
planar is in a different category...... you cant compare m50 and mad dog...... there are tons of info about mad dog in head fi.
I am curious to know, are you planning to use mad dog while commuting?

Indeed, the mad dog is better for home use..

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 60
Yes i use my portable rig on the bus so if i did get the Mad Dog i would be listening in a loud environment. 

and headphones all serve the same function (to present Audio files to you through their diaphragm) so yes you can compare M50s to Mad Dogs, it just that the Mad Dogs will sound way different and hopefully way better since they cost twice as much. 

do you think there is a big jump from the DT 770s to the Mad Dog in overall SQ?

if so it would be great if you could compare them. 

if that is too much to ask i also own HE-400s which has a planar driver so comparing the He-400s to the Mad Dog might give me a good idea of where they stand between the M50s and the HE-400s.

by the way thank you to everyone who has commented so far, i really appreciate it. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 60
Hey, I have been doing a crap load of research lately... it started out with my search for my own headphones, but I just cant stop haha, I don't know why but this is a lot of fun for me, I really love this site. Anyways, that said, I can say (not from experience, but) from all of my research, the DT770's seem to be a step up from the M50's, but not all that large of a step. Mad dogs, if you can afford them would really be what you're looking for, I mean really. Also, i'd like to put in that you seem to have similar sound preference/taste and had about the same budget as me, and I ended up going for the ATH-A900x's.. you might look at them. Anyways, best of luck and I hope I helped.
P.S. You wouldn't want to be selling your M50's would you?

Best regards,
ZokharaFi

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 60
thanks for saving me the time to look at all the other threads to find out where these headphones stand, i think i will save up for the Mad Dogs or something similar in price and sound. 

do you guys know if the isolation on the Mad Dog is any worse than that of the M50s, and if so what would be a good alternative at around the same price?

and ZokharaFi i would probably sell my M50s after i got the new pair but i still need to save up the money so it might be a while before i would be selling them. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 60
  thanks for saving me the time to look at all the other threads to find out where these headphones stand, i think i will save up for the Mad Dogs or something similar in price and sound. 

do you guys know if the isolation on the Mad Dog is any worse than that of the M50s, and if so what would be a good alternative at around the same price?

and ZokharaFi i would probably sell my M50s after i got the new pair but i still need to save up the money so it might be a while before i would be selling them. 

To echo my general feelings about the Mad Dogs since upgrading to my HE-6's...

Even though I've found out that the Mad Dogs signature isn't my favorite, wanting a little more treble attack and definition, the general qualia of the Mad Dogs is just one of sweet comfort. I plug em in, put them on, and play something, and I stop worrying about anything else. Having both capable planarmagnetic drivers and a fairly linear representation up until the treble roll-off makes it a pleasurable easy-listen headphone, and the comfort of the pristine alpha pads just seals the deal (no pun intended). It's a sit-back-feel-good headphone.

The HE-6 is the opposite in this regard, where its more engaging, detailed, and tactile  presentation call me to attention. It's difficult to NOT analyze what I'm hearing since whenever I put them on, I put them on knowing they're a flagship, that they're supposed to be flawless, and there's an expectation that I'll be "blown away". It's probably because I'm still getting used to them, and perhaps later down the road I'll be able to relax a little more, but for now, I can never listen to music that I want to listen to. I want to listen to the headphone. I believe it was aamefford who voiced himself similiarly in the last MD thread that the MD lets you just listen to the music, and I agree wholeheartedly. I know this is absurdly vague, but it is my thoughts nonetheless.

Throw on some great isolation with the comfort, and you have yourself an ergonomic headphone that sounds great for what it is. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 60
i would but i haven't even started saving yet lol. i was hoping to get my family to tip in on the new pair for me at Christmas. 

i would sell them after that but i don't know for sure if i will be getting the new pair anytime soon, and i don't think you want to wait on something that might not come to fruition. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 60
so Vaed thinks the Mad Dogs with alpha pads have good isolation or is he just saying they have better isolation than the HE-6?

Because that's not hard to pull off considering they are open design. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #26 of 60
Your call. One would think he was talking about the MD's, but his opinion on isolation may be based on his experience with the HE-6 but it's the closest I could find. I'll keep looking for ya man.

EDIT: Oh and seriously look into those ATH-A900x's.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #27 of 60
  is he just saying they have better isolation than the HE-6?

confused.gif
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 60
Thanks a bunch. 

just looked at a review that states the Mad Dogs have better isolation than the AH-D2000s but i don't know by how much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back