Good Cheap Anti-Virus for Eee 901
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been a Mac user for quite some time now so I am a little niave when it comes to Anti-virus software. I recently got a Eee 901 (which I love) and use it just for music (with a RSA Predator) and Internet. I got the Windows XP version so I need to get some sort of Anti-Virus, but unless I am missing something I don't think I need all the bells and whistles. Would love to get some recommendations for a simple, cheap solution for a Netbook. Right now I am just using McAfee free trial.

I really just want to avoid getting viruses either thru websites & emails.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 19
I'd suggest installing the native Linux version for the Eee (Asus will provide or you can download across the interwebs) as opposed to Windows. Lots of advantages, but most is interactions seem sized fro the Eee screen. I'm a Mac user and I think you'd find the Linux version actually closer in use. You can also install both.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 19
I had Linux on my 701, and wasn't that impressed. Although it was the basic version. I generally hate windows, but have enjoyed the XP that is on the Eee. Other than having to deal with virus(s) again, its a pretty fun configuration.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally hate windows, but have enjoyed the XP that is on the Eee.

I'm afraid there is a good possibility that you will enjoy it less once you install antivirus software. Windows XP systems usually are quite nice -- until you install antivirus and everything slows down to a crawl.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 19
I have had McAfee on it since I got it. And you know it isn't lightning fast but I didn't expect it to be at 1G ram, but it is enjoyable for what I got it for. I also like windows as opposed to linux because it is easier (for me) to DL programs. I have also enjoyed trying out various audio programs that I was never privy to as a Mac user (Foobar,etc)

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 19
Zonealarm

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for all the suggestions! Since I have very limited memory on the Eee, I am going to try the first one (which also happens to be free). I may look at some others down the road. So far I like the AVG UI and it does seem to be highly regarded.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zonealarm

It's more a firewall than an antivirus isn't it?
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 19
i have AVG on my eee running XP and so far its been fine.. don't expect to do toomuch while scanning, but normal use it should be fine. Id recommend you turn off the link scanning too, slows down web browsing to a snail's pace.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 19
Smokin deal on NOD32 right now at The Egg for $15 after coupon code. You have to be subscribed to the newsletter to be eligible. You can cancel the newsletter after. Use code EMCAJCJAK at checkout.

Linkage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back