good cd-r's?
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher
Just in case you wonder how to identify Taiyo Yuden discs except for putting them in the burner and using the appropriate software, you can always look at the bottom of the disc.
The dye color is something between green and blue. The marking in the center consists of two numbers representing the media length (usally 80) followed by a space, two letters (the first one should be P) and 4 or 5 numbers.
For example:

Verbatim_Pastel80_40x_Number.jpg

Not with my eyesight you wont
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #33 of 40
I use imation's CDR-W. I figured that I'll just rewrite the saved data every year or so. I heard that the dye that stores pits and grooves on the disk looses its effect over time & im hoping rewriting them would solve the problem. Will this work? or is this extremely stupid?
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 40
I have a few heavily used CDRs that are approaching 4 years old. I always use Gold CDRs and have recently been using Harmony 'real" gold CDRs with dual gold layers. I have never had one go bad so far. I have found the Memorex black CDRs to retain a bit more of the original recording's detail but they don't seem to hold up well at all. I started using black CDRs last year when I got the Marantz pro-recorder and I had a bunch of discs start skipping a few months after burning them,even though I babied them all. The gold discs have been performing just fine and I only use them in the car and on the road where sound quality is a compromise at best anyway.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #35 of 40
I currently use HHB Gold or Mitsui Gold cdrs for all of my audio recordings and data storage (since I ran out of Kodak Golds a while back) . Haven't any problems with them and both are top quality cdrs. I also use and would recommend Taiyo Yuden cdrs as the are also excellent storage media.

Apr 28, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

If I remember correct, Imation media use CMC Magnetics manufactured discs and -- as someone already stated here -- they are considered to be crap.

This cd media quality website says imation cds are made byTaiyo Yuden.

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware..._quality.shtml

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Yes, but that was long ago. IMATION don't use Taiyo Yuden media anymore.

I agree with you there. Note that the media used in the CD-R quality website had been purchased back in 1998, when most CD-R media in existence then was still rated at a maximum of 4x burning speed.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #39 of 40
Another vote for Mitsui Gold (and Silver which are cheaper, but still not cheap). These were recommended some time ago by some folks on an Audiogon thread, and I've been quite pleased with them.

May 4, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #40 of 40
There's already a link to a site at which to buy bulk Taiyo Yuden's, so here's a url at which to buy bulk Ritek's (acceleration tested for about 100 years of data integrity):
http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back