Good cans to replace Sony D66 eggos?
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nleahcim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - My D66 Eggos are in need of being replaced. I've been fairly happy with them - but it has come time to move on. I'm looking for very portable headphones (as in small) that are very isolated and that sound good. I'd prefer them to be much more isolated than the eggos are. I'd like to spend $100 or so - but I may be able to go higher than that if needs be. I don't want any in ear headphones like etys - as I had a pair of ER-6s and I really didn't like how they felt. I always drive them with either a computer or a portable MP3 player. So - I've been out of the headphone scene for a while - anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 7
The usually recommended Sony V6's (not V600's) and Sennheiser 280 Pros are about the only options in your price range. Both isolate more than the Eggos. Neither are "very portable". Really the only portable isolating phones are the Etys and Shures. After that the Senn PX250 is out of your price range. Everything else is bigger than the Eggos or sonically a step down. Maybe the ATH-A500's... but again not really portable.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
The usually recommended Sony V6's (not V600's) and Sennheiser 280 Pros are about the only options in your price range. Both isolate more than the Eggos. Neither are "very portable". Really the only portable isolating phones are the Etys and Shures. After that the Senn PX250 is out of your price range. Everything else is bigger than the Eggos or sonically a step down. Maybe the ATH-A500's... but again not really portable.

Well I can bump up the price range pretty much as much as is needed. But portability is a must - I travel constantly. So does that change things at all? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 7
For isolation and portability there's the usual suspects: The canalphones. The closest to your price range is the Shure e2. As blessingX said, everything else will be either not portable or a big step down.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
For isolation and portability there's the usual suspects: The canalphones. The closest to your price range is the Shure e2. As blessingX said, everything else will be either not portable or a big step down.

Hrmm well like I said the ER-6s were just horribly uncomfortable for me. And they'd NEVER stay in place. So I really can't get those. So the D66 eggos really are the best for me? Damn...

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Well since the Shures are ment to be worn with the cord wrapped over the ear, perhaps they'll fit better than the etys? The Shures come with different sized tips. Now etys tend to fit me better, but maybe it's the opposite for you. The Headroom, TTVJ, and iDealsound all have return policies and all have the Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back