Good but inexpensive sub?
Sep 12, 2009 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Teraflame

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting Neo 2X speakers with a virtue two amp. So I'm planning to add a sub in the future but don't want to spend too much. What are my options for <$300 or are there no good choices in that range?

I've looked into the x-sub from av123 but they discontinued it and cannot find it used anywhere.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd look into a higher end, second hand subwoofer. How are you going to connect this up? Need high level or low level inputs? Going to send full range signal or already filtered? For music or movies? How large is the room? If you have standmounts are you sending them full range? Do a search for my recent thread concering subwoofer (running it through removing low frequencies from the speakers)

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I got an 8" Velodyne CHT off Craigslist for $75. It's like new and whenever I do use speakers instead of headphones it pounds out bass that shakes the walls.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 12
I would be connecting it to the amp, gonna use it for both movies and music. Its going to be in the living room, haven't measured the size. I'll check out your thread too

vrtuiaap21pbf17.jpg

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Subway is now offering $5 footlong subs. Quizno's is a bit more expensive, but I generally prefer their taste. The turkey, bacon, guacamole is killer!

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subway is now offering $5 footlong subs. Quizno's is a bit more expensive, but I generally prefer their taste. The turkey, bacon, guacamole is killer!

i lol'd

quizno's.... mmmm so good

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be connecting it to the amp, gonna use it for both movies and music. Its going to be in the living room, haven't measured the size. I'll check out your thread too

vrtuiaap21pbf17.jpg

I assume that sub out if a stereo signal downmixed to mono, full-range? If so you'll want one with low level inputs, with variable crossover. If your room is medium to large size a $300 sub isn't going to cut it for movies.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 12
The Energy ESW-V10 is on sale for $300 at wwstereo. Definitely a good deal for $300.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Hey Teraflame,

Glad to hear you decided on the N2X's!!! You will not regret it! I use the HSU STF-2 with mine and it is a wonderful combination!! Please let me know your opinion of the N2X's when you get some hours on them.

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back